dolmar 133 ignition ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

captain dangers

partner 1633B (skil) chainsaw
Reaction score
the story I bought this old dolmar 133 for my collection as it was cheep, minus its pull cord housing, and fan and with a damaged flywheel, where the three machine screw holes were stripped, which hold the fan on. any way to cut a long story short , I managed to pull the flywheel off , and it appeared that someone (farmer?) had made a rudimentary electronic conversion, with one of those chrome type chips/modules. I rectified this by doing the job properly and replaced the flywheel, fan and pull cord housing from a spare 123 I had laying around.

the 133 now has a good spark and starts up, but the tming is out, presumably because the flywheels are different? the dolmar 123 donor csaw appears to have electronic ignition as standard,. whilst I presume the original flywheel was for a points saw? photos bellow. I would have changed over the module from the donar saw too , to marry it up with the flywheel but module is shot.

my question is has anybody had this problem before? and can the key be removed and the timing adjusted by advancing/retarding the flywheel ? if so how far in which direction would it need to go ?

images are of the original flywheel removed from the 133 , the duff module from the 123 donor saw which flywheel is fitted to the 133 (even though it has a 123 starter on it) thanksdolmar 133 flywheel etc 001.JPG dolmar 133 flywheel etc 005.JPG dolmar 133 flywheel etc 006.JPG in advance CD

Did it have spark before?
I don't know as it didn't have a fan, starter pawls or pull cord mechanism when I bought it. the flywheel needed replacing, and the wiring for the conversion was lets say juvenile to say the least ;o) it has a spark now and starts up , just the timing is slightly out. presumably down to an electronic ignition flywheel mated to a points type ignition? CD

Some parts from a 309 concrete saw mixed in would make it doggy.
as it happens I did purchase a 309 which I also purchased cheep as a non runner, now a good runner, with the sole intention of putting the engine out of it, into the 123 donor saw, as the 123 needs a new crank, piston/cylinder. the con-rod was missing from it when I purchased it. I haven't a clue how a con-rod can go missing without splitting the crank cases? but that's what appears to have happened to it. all I should need to do with that conversion is swap engine and fit the oil pump etc.? and she should be good to go ? ;o)

Back