Dolmar 143 followed me home

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

olyeller

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
No, really! I was just minding my own business, cruising CL and this Dolmar 143 decided to follow me home. I fed it a little premix and now it won't go away. So I guess I'll keep it.

It came with 39" and 24" bars, with five .404 chains. That big bar is a heavy sucker! I cleaned up the saw and it seems to run fine. It might need a new air cleaner though; anyone know if they're still available stock? I haven't checked compression or tried it in wood yet, but all in all it seems to be in pretty decent shape. It starts pretty easily and revs out well.

Thanks to all you who have made posts here about the Dolmar 143. I did a search on this 95cc beast, and the consensus seems to be very positive. I guess this new addition, along with my MS 260 and 460, should round out my three-saw plan pretty well! Now I just have to get out and cut some wood.

CAD? What CAD?

Nice find! I would love to find one of those to go along with my 112 and 120.

Great score there a very nice saw
with nice power.
I had seen it somewhere recently but
not sure if it were CL or not. It did
catch my eye but i already have a couple.

Good luck with your new toy.

Lee

One of my biggest saw regrets is selling my 143.
Great saw and congrats.

I have not used a 143 yet but I have used my sons 133. It has lots of power. You should be very happy with the 143. I am still looking for a few parts to get my 133 running My son also has a 143 that just needs an air filter and it will be ready to run.

155 psi

Update on my new-to-me Dolmar 143. I've cut with it a couple times now and although chain speed is slower than my MS 460, this 143 is a cool old saw to run. It's a kick in bigger wood, lots of power. It is a tad heavy, but that makes the 460 all the more fun when I swap over.

However, I was thinking that it seemed like it was too easy to start for a 95cc saw; thought that would be more of a struggle without a decomp system. I pull from the ground with my foot on the handle and I make sure it's over top dead center, let the rope rewind, then give it a serious yank. Usually takes 3-4 tries cold, then 1-3 pulls when warm. So I took it down to my Stihl/Dolmar dealer today to check the compression, and it pulled 155 pounds--not too bad! So I guess I'll skip the new rings, at least for now. Does that sound about right?

Also I got a new air filter and three fuel filters from Scott at The Cutting Edge; only $19 for the air filter, about a buck and a half for the fuel-line filters. Now my 143 is set for more action.

I'm surprised you find it easy to pull over my 143 has huge compression, very hard to start when it's cold (one pull when warm) I'm a fairly strong bloke weigh 100KG.
I can see why the 143MX was fitted with a decompress valve
But there a fun saw to use heaps of torque

:greenchainsaw:

Update on my new-to-me Dolmar 143. I've cut with it a couple times now and although chain speed is slower than my MS 460, this 143 is a cool old saw to run. It's a kick in bigger wood, lots of power. It is a tad heavy, but that makes the 460 all the more fun when I swap over.

However, I was thinking that it seemed like it was too easy to start for a 95cc saw; thought that would be more of a struggle without a decomp system. I pull from the ground with my foot on the handle and I make sure it's over top dead center, let the rope rewind, then give it a serious yank. Usually takes 3-4 tries cold, then 1-3 pulls when warm. So I took it down to my Stihl/Dolmar dealer today to check the compression, and it pulled 155 pounds--not too bad! So I guess I'll skip the new rings, at least for now. Does that sound about right?

Also I got a new air filter and three fuel filters from Scott at The Cutting Edge; only $19 for the air filter, about a buck and a half for the fuel-line filters. Now my 143 is set for more action.

That saw will grow on you! I used to think the ps6000 sounded slow and it does. But when at the time I had a new 455 husky and my bil had a 6000, we were cutting it was cold and the stuff we were cutting was frozen. I was hacking on a 20 inch log and my 455 would not cut I mean just completely had its a** kicked, chains were dull to, so I grabbed the 6000 and she ripped right through dull chain and all ,for only 4 cc diff there was a H*** of alot more power. Needles to say the next weekend I didnt own the 455!

I forgot to add that I was using an old .404 skip chain that came with the saw when I cut the last couple times. Now I've got a new square-ground full-comp chain so we'll see if that helps with the cutting efficiency. The 143 came with a 42" bar and a 24" bar; I'm using the 24" because for the most part I don't get into wood that is much bigger than a couple feet across. I don't fall trees, I'm only cutting shed limbs, but the old oaks on our place can sometimes shed huge limbs that are bigger than a lot of younger oak trees. So I didn't really NEED the 143, but it's a very cool saw that I got at a great price--lots of fun and all I had to do was clean it up and put in new filters.

Back