Dolmar 4 stroke saw in the makes?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bump, for the newer ones asking about 4 stroke saws. Also what ever happened in the testing and the saw?

How long can we expect the ps-5100-s to remain available? I heard/read somewhere that the epa doesn't like that saw! Is this 4 stroke tech the replacement for the 5100? I think they should leave chainsaws alone, there are not enough running on any given day to make much pollution. Why and the hell do they worry about it.

slipknot said:
Why and the hell do they worry about it.

They have to justify their existence. Look at how much money we spend on these idiots. Do you have any idea how many of them could be fired if we just kept the current standards, and didn't keep making them tighter?

Besides, the majority of these folks are anti-technology zeolots. Reason has no place in their lives.

Currently the PS5100S qualifies and meets emissions needs, future reductions in allowable limits will make it necessary to add a catalytic convertor muffler to the PS-5100S. Not sure where you got your information about a dislike of the PS-5100S but I would be interested in how this can be as it qualifies in the guide lines submitted by EPA and CARB.

slipknot said:
I think they should leave chainsaws alone, there are not enough running on any given day to make much pollution. Why and the hell do they worry about it.

BlueRidgeMark hit the nail on the head with his reply. A few measly chainsaws and string trimmers - compare that to a 500 mile Nascar race - 40+ cars, hundreds of tires, thousands of gallons of fuel. We should cap those open headers, mandate 1-7/8" exhaust with a catalytic convertor and 3 oxygen sensors, then see how fun it is to watch, and drive those strangulated cars. The thing is, a 500 mile race brings in a LOT of revenue and a LOT of tax dollars from that revenue! Whoever said money doesn't matter?

Sounds like the old addage Money Talks and BS walks. That put a whole new look on NASCAR for me and a very interesting one it was, thanks for the insight Four Paws.

Four Paws said:
BlueRidgeMark hit the nail on the head with his reply. A few measly chainsaws and string trimmers - compare that to a 500 mile Nascar race - 40+ cars, hundreds of tires, thousands of gallons of fuel. We should cap those open headers, mandate 1-7/8" exhaust with a catalytic convertor and 3 oxygen sensors, then see how fun it is to watch, and drive those strangulated cars. The thing is, a 500 mile race brings in a LOT of revenue and a LOT of tax dollars from that revenue! Whoever said money doesn't matter?

You forgot about all the people who drove to the race...they used more fuel than the cars in the race itself.

Mark

2 cycle technology is constantly improving. We had this debate over on a lot of outboard engine forums 4-5 years back. It looked like with EPA 2006, 2 cycle marine engines would be gone for good. That's not how it turned out, with the revolution in direct fuel injection, like Ficht, Yamaha HPDI and Optibombs from Merc and others, the 2006 emission standards were met and exceeded. Now Bombardier makes the Etec 2 cycles which actually can have lower emissions than at least the first generation of marine four stroke engines. I don't know if this type of technology could ever be adapted to something as small as a chainsaw or weedeater. I just cannot envision that a 4 stroke which still burns its oil(total loss lurbication) can be that much cleaner than a 2 cycle which does the same thing? I see how valves would clean it up some over just sloshing it down through the carb as a conventional 2 stroke does, but how significantly? 4 stroke probably would provide better torque, but lower top end speed, penalty in weight, etc. I really can't say for sure, just thinking out loud.

Back