Dolmar 421problem

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The settings in the manual are just a suggestion of what should work enough to start the saw. From there the saw has to be tuned for the current environment.

Tune it. Cut wood. You may need to tune it at any time, so you will need the tool anyway. Why on earth would you drive all that way to have someone else twiddle a little scew?

Like it or not, tuning a saw is part of using one.
Recommend a tach that won't break the bank and give me a link to where I can get the DD screwdriver

Go to ebay and type in carb tuning screwdriver and lots will pop up. And same with the tach.

Sent from my SM-J320W8 using Tapatalk

I know but apparently some of the Chinese screwdrivers won't work I'd like to know I'm getting one that will work. If someone could verify that a certain one , brand will fit I'd appreciate it.

My DD came from hutle and works good.

Sent from my SM-J320W8 using Tapatalk

I think I'd pull the muffler and inspect the P&C before I adjusted that carb. If it is scored already from all the testing with an admitted air leak that was covered under warranty I wouldn't want to have them tell you that now that you've adjusted the carb the damage is your fault. If it is scored at all take it back asap.

If it wasn't so far this your dealer I'd just take it back on principle. With all that's taken place I wouldn't settle for anything short of them making it right.

Recommend a tach that won't break the bank and give me a link to where I can get the DD screwdriver
I don't own a tach and I made my own D and DD tools, although they are readily available on eBay and Amazon. Tuning a saw is not hard and a tach is not required.

I agree with @GrassGuerilla though, but you'd have to do it yourself to find out. Chainsaws work best for those willing to do things for themselves though.

I don't own a tach and I made my own D and DD tools, although they are readily available on eBay and Amazon. Tuning a saw is not hard and a tach is not required.

I agree with @GrassGuerilla though, but you'd have to do it yourself to find out. Chainsaws work best for those willing to do things for themselves though.
It's not that I am unwilling to do anything for myself ,if there is still a problem with the saw, they need to make it right as per the warranty agreement. This isn't about me or my willingness to do my own work it's about a dealer and a manufacturer honoring a warranty agreement, or failure to honor ,as the case may be.

Well I just took the saw to a different dealer ,told them my story . They put a tach on the saw low was 3500 high was 10500. Ain't that special!!!!

Just ran a tank of gas through it cutting some cookies in some seasoned ash about 10-12 diameter. So far so good . The woods I cut in is really wet don't know if I can get in but I think I'll try after lunch. I'll keep you all posted. Hopefully it's fixed . I just wonder why the dealer had it tuned so rich unless he was trying to hide something.

Just ran a tank of gas through it cutting some cookies in some seasoned ash about 10-12 diameter. So far so good . The woods I cut in is really wet don't know if I can get in but I think I'll try after lunch. I'll keep you all posted. Hopefully it's fixed . I just wonder why the dealer had it tuned so rich unless he was trying to hide something.
Unfortunately this day and age 2 stroke tuning is becoming a lost skill. I have had good Mechanics but had to be shown how to tune a saw. That is also why it is a good idea to have the tools and learn. FYI most shops will tune on the rich side. 13000 is still a bit rich on the 421 usually

Unfortunately this day and age 2 stroke tuning is becoming a lost skill. I have had good Mechanics but had to be shown how to tune a saw. That is also why it is a good idea to have the tools and learn. FYI most shops will tune on the rich side. 13000 is still a bit rich on the 421 usually
12800-13000 is where i set them when brand new. that leaves a nice cushion for the guys that cant/wont tune em. If they are capable of tuning.....its a nice break in setting to get started with.

Latest posts

Back