Dolmar 421problem

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Set the carb.
Bad Dealer.
If it don't straighten up take your own hardwood back, show how bad it is and get a full refund. He should pay for your gas back and forth but probably wont.

I even asked him if he retuned! I'm sure they would love it if I tampered with the carb adjustment and give them a way out from under the warranty!!!

Did you ever get a look at the piston to see what kind of shape it was in after running lean?

It would be bad enough if he was just across town, but the distance you are traveling makes this experience absolutely ridiculous. Like porsche965 says, next time you go back take a big hardwood log - long enough to make 30 or 40 cuts, and don't leave until that log is completely sliced up.

And use his gas and oil!

And make him throw in a new chain for all the testing and aggravation!

I didn't see the p&c the guys son had some really dark pics on his phone couldn't see much. He said it all looked good. I don't think I'll take it back to him. No point in calling Makita they pretty much refused to talk to me about any of this. I asked the dealer about that and he said they prefer to correspond with the dealers. So it isn't really CUSTOMER service more like dealer service.

if your dealer fixed the air leak ( sounds like that was the problem) and had not changed the carburator settings, (because it did cut okay until it ran lean before any attempt at a fix), then it should have run okay after bearings and seals were replaced. I'm wondering if he even took it apart to install the new seals/bearings but simply played with the carburator settings hoping to cover it up enough to get by. Just guessing because it sounds like your dealer comes up with a lot of strange excuses. I think your only recourse is to keep pestering Makita.

If there is a good dealer near. (Any dealer) should be willing to do a pressure/ vac test and a compression test. As well as show a couple of photos of the piston. My shop would charge. 50hr-1hr. For the testing and reassemble.

Makita WILL NOT talk to me ! Every attempt I made resulted the rep saying I'll have to speak with the dealer. He had some bearings laying there on the bench thee saw looks like it has been apart the heat tape under the muffler is split and coming loose it wasn't before and there is some chipped paint.

If there is a good dealer near. (Any dealer) should be willing to do a pressure/ vac test and a compression test. As well as show a couple of photos of the piston. My shop would charge. 50hr-1hr. For the testing and reassemble.
I shouldn't have to pay for anything it's under warranty if a non authorized dealer messes with it my warranty is void.

I agree you shouldn't have to but sometimes it is worth the piece of mind.

then take it back to retune, but take a piece of wood with you. he must not have cut with it. call and make an appointment so you can get adjusted while you wait.

The dealer said he did a leak test after the fix. I asked why the first test didn't show a leak and the last one before repair did. He said they ran the saw and got it hot the last time then tested while hot. He said he tested at 2 bar and it took almost the whole 20 seconds to show then he said soap bubbles showed a leak under the flywheel???

then take it back to retune, but take a piece of wood with you. he must not have cut with it. call and make an appointment so you can get adjusted while you wait.
He said he ran the saw for 45 min and pointed out the wood and cookies I referred to earlier.

no wonder he missed the leak on first test if that is how he done the test, to find the type of leak that i think was on that saw he would have to pull the flywheel and test at 3 bars on vac. there would be no bubbles. ( clutch side same thing).

no wonder he missed the leak on first test if that is how he done the test, to find the type of leak that i think was on that saw he would have to pull the flywheel and test at 3 bars on vac. there would be no bubbles. ( clutch side same thing).
I find it hard to believe they got the saw hot and then pulled the carb and muffler , while hot , and tested before the saw cooled not to mention the temp changing would scew the test.

I fail to understand what these people dealer and Makita get out of screwing with me like this. I just want what I paid for a, working saw this is B.S!!!

i seen that, to me it didn't make much sense, might as well take it back for some tuning and cut with it before leaving.

Back