Dolmar 510 bar

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

erlk?nig

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello, I've been a long time lurker and have learned a lot of great stuff here over the years. Thanks in advance!
My mom and I recently bought a new Dolmar 510 for my dad for Christmas (based on a lot research done on AS). It fit the budget and should be a big increase in power over his current worn-out Stihl 021. I specified that I wanted 16" 3/8 x .050 and ordered a rim and drum system. My thinking was that this saw could share 60 link chains with my Stihl 261. It showed up with the 3/8 rim and drum, but a .325 bar and chain. I called the dealer and they got me a 3/8 bar today, but I'm not convinced it's right. Instead of a Dolmar branded Oregon bar, I got an Oregon Pro-AM (#160PXDK095) and 59 link loop of green chain. By the look of it, this is a lo-pro bar (9 tip nose). I fits on the studs, but the holes for the tensioner are way bigger. The 510 is not on the list of saws that it fits, but it does appear that the oiler lines up with the bar. A brand new 60 link loop 3/8 seems to fit, but I'm not sure if it will after some use (I didn't have any used ones at home).
Bailey's selection of bars for the 510 is kind of small, and they are all .325.
So I guess my questions are:
1. Was I wrong to think that I could run "real" 3/8 on this saw? I know the Dolmar 5100/5105 can run either.
2. Does the 510 have a different bar mount than the 5100?
I'm kind of bummed that it is too late to fix this before Christmas. I was hoping to avoid running .325 x .050 since it wouldn't fit anything else and it only comes in chisel. On the other hand, having to get 59 link loops is going to be a big PITA. I'd love to hear from people who have more experience with Dolmar bars; I'm a bit confused!
I should also add that my dad is not that savvy with saws and seems happy with lo-pro chain. I was thinking of getting him set up with 3/8 semi-chisel to start with.

You can run 3/8 on the 510
And the mounts are the same.
The 1 link chain shouldn't make a big difference. Some dealers make
Their chain 1 link shorter to make it tighter on the bar.
Sent from my USCCADR3305 using Tapatalk 2

I have several K095 mount Power Match Oregon bars with replaceable tips that are 3/8" X 16". I use them on my 3 cube Huskies and Dolmars. One of them is a 59DL and all the others are 60DL. I can not use a 60DL chain on the 59DL bar.

W8ye- I could very well be wrong It hasn't been the first time...

Sent from my USCCADR3305 using Tapatalk 2

Some times they will fit each other and some times they will not. It just depends and you can not rely on the interchangeability.

My 59DL bar has a long story. I bought it from Ebay as a new 16" X .375" X .050" X 60DL replaceable tip bar for $15.

When it arrived, it had all the right numbers, but was actually a .325" bar. So I put a 3/8" tip on it. But the bar turned out to be just a little short thus the 59DL. I was looking on the nail where my 3/8 X 60DL chains were and saw a short RSC chain. It had 59 drive links and fit perfect on my 5105. So I have $30 in the new bar instead of $15. It works well.

I called the seller and told him what the bar turned out to be. I didn't say anything in the "bay" Karma ratings but I didn't buy any more of those bars either.

Thanks for the information about the 510/5100 interchangeability. I suspected as much but am new to Dolmar's configuration. Bailey's seems to leave the 510 off in their lists of saw compatibility.
What about the the 9 tooth tip? That seems small and better suited to lo-pro, right? I would think it should have come with something like 160SLHK095 with an 11 tooth sprocket tip (and 60 links). I've already had to get trade bars once so I hate the idea of going back after Christmas. I'm starting to think I should have just stuck with the dang .325!

The 5100S-5105 amd 510 have a lot of compatable parts, bars being one if it fits a 5100S it will fit a 510. Any K095 (Oregon) CJL (Windsor) bar will fit a 510. 160SLHK095 is a good choice. 510 will pull 16" 3/8" x 60 dl B&C very well. I run 3/8 on all my Dolmars 510-5100S.
Shep

Last edited:
... I was hoping to avoid running .325 x .050 since it wouldn't fit anything else and it only comes in chisel. ... .

If someone told you that, he was seriously wrong. :alien2:

I suspect the background for this false info is that Dolmar likes to sell (lists) the low profile "green" (badly so) 30-series SL chain in .325 - and that one is chisel.
Any other .325 chain from Oregon or Stihl is a better option - if you want semi-chisel, look at the Stihl RM/RMC or the Oregon BPX.

... I got an Oregon Pro-AM (#160PXDK095) and 59 link loop of green chain. .....

PXD means it is a "Double Guard" bar with a 9 tooth nose. If that smaller nose isn't longer than a "normal" one, it is natural that it could take a shorter chain (stupid way to do it btw).

I am getting the impression that your dealer is more or less obsessed with "Green"/"Safety" bars and chain, and there is your basic issue in a nut-shell....:bang::bang:

PXD means it is a "Double Guard" bar with a 9 tooth nose. If that smaller nose isn't longer than a "normal" one, it is natural that it could take a shorter chain (stupid way to do it btw).

I am getting the impression that your dealer is more or less obsessed with "Green"/"Safety" bars and chain, and there is your basic issue in a nut-shell....:bang::bang:

Probably not the dealers obsession but more like he got a deal on the stuff in bulk amd needs to move it.

If someone told you that, he was seriously wrong. :alien2:

I suspect the background for this false info is that Dolmar likes to sell (lists) the low profile "green" (badly so) 30-series SL chain in .325 - and that one is chisel.
Any other .325 chain from Oregon or Stihl is a better option - if you want semi-chisel, look at the Stihl RM/RMC or the Oregon BPX.

New factory .325 510 & 5105 are coming through with 20BPX factory! But I haven't ordered a .325 version of those saws in years. We do sell a lot of PS-420/421's with a 16" prolite and 20BPX chain. But we can't buy that package factory but we are converting them.

New factory .325 510 & 5105 are coming through with 20BPX factory! But I haven't ordered a .325 version of those saws in years. We do sell a lot of PS-420/421's with a 16" prolite and 20BPX chain. But we can't buy that package factory but we are converting them.

They have changed it at some point then, but this dealer obviously haven't adjusted accordingly - or maybe it is on distributer level?

Btw, they need to adjust the user manual accordingly, as it still is referring to the SL chain, and the 11/64" file that is suitable for that chain. That file size is not suitable for the BPX. :wink2:

Of course none of this would be an issue at your shop, but it sounds like it is at the shop in question here...

Last edited:
Probably not the dealers obsession but more like he got a deal on the stuff in bulk amd needs to move it.

Yeah, I'm thinking this is the case, or just plain ignorance. They don't have a deep inventory and this was probably sent directly from the distributor. I keep telling myself I am going to take my business elsewhere but I stick with these guys because they are local, family-owned and carry both Stihl and Dolmar. Their general knowledge and customer service is pretty sub-par. I'm a bit irked that I traded in a perfectly good .325 bar and yellow chain for what I got.
At this point I'm just going to give my dad the 59 link bar and green label chain (Stihl RSC3, oddly enough) and we can play around with it after Christmas. As I said before he's not too knowledgeable so it probably won't bother him. It is of course a bummer to give him a saw that won't be at its full cutting potential out of the box (okay, no saw is at its full cutting potential out of the box on this site! http://www.arboristsite.com/images/icons/icon12.png) For all I know, he might want to run lo-pro as it really does a good job in the 1-3" hazel brush that infests our woodlot.
On a side note, anyone ever cut or ground the bumpers off of green chain? I'm guessing it would be a total waste of time, but we do have quite a few rainy days here in Oregon! I've amassed a collection of this crappy chain over time, and yes, all from that dealer, lol. I think I need to look for a new shop!

Latest posts

Back