Dolmar 510 issue

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tree Feller

J &J Tree Service
Reaction score
So I have a dolmar 510. I bought this saw new 5 years ago. It’s always been a pain to crank. Ie. easy to flood. We this year it cranks fine cold. But after I run it and it gets hot, I cut it off and it will not start back! I pulled the plug yesterday and it seems not to have any spark? I let it cool over night and will check later today. Any ideas?? Coil?? Carb??

No spark usually means coil.

well I went down and took the plug out. Made sure it was grounded and pulled the rope. Yep. Plenty of spark?? I was not able to run it until it got hot. Yesterday when it was hot it had no spark. I I agree, I think it’s the coil.

I had the same issue with my Dolmar 460 which is basically identical to the 510 (same bottom end and carb I think), only it has smaller displacement. I experienced the same issue you are describing after I ported and decked it. I replaced the spark plug (even though the last one seemed to be popping good spark), switched from 100 octane race gas to 91 octane premium ( not sure if this made a difference or not), ran 40:1 instead of 50:1, and richened the eff out of the high speed screw until it would bog then dialed a wee bit back until it didn't choke and die when revving and it runs like an angry little monster now with no hot start issues. It's reliable to the point I take it up ~150 ft into a tree cuz changing saws at that height sux a$$. You didn't mention if it was ported and or decked so I don't know how that plays out if you are running stock but this is what worked for me with what sounds like the same issue. Definitely not a scientific process to isolate the problem but saw works well now so yeah...

I had the same issue with my Dolmar 460 which is basically identical to the 510 (same bottom end and carb I think), only it has smaller displacement. I experienced the same issue you are describing after I ported and decked it. I replaced the spark plug (even though the last one seemed to be popping good spark), switched from 100 octane race gas to 91 octane premium ( not sure if this made a difference or not), ran 40:1 instead of 50:1, and richened the eff out of the high speed screw until it would bog then dialed a wee bit back until it didn't choke and die when revving and it runs like an angry little monster now with no hot start issues. It's reliable to the point I take it up ~150 ft into a tree cuz changing saws at that height sux a$$. You didn't mention if it was ported and or decked so I don't know how that plays out if you are running stock but this is what worked for me with what sounds like the same issue. Definitely not a scientific process to isolate the problem but saw works well now so yeah...
I did change the plug yesterday. I run 93 octane @ 50:1. My saw is stock except muffler gutted and re-tuned carb.

Back