Dolmar 5100 VS 5105

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've tried both pitches and prefer 3/8 on both the stock and modified motors. The cuts feel better. The .325 stuff is just hanging on the wall collecting dust.

From the IPL it looks like the basic "Euro" one is the 181 172 102, the OZ spark sceen one 181 174 201, and the US "cat" one 181 174 300.

Can't you just mod the muffler and remove the cat? I know with cars we would take a demolition hammer to the cat and smash all the honeycomb out of there for better performance. I will have to take the muffler off and get a look see.

Maybe, but it doesn't look like it it easy on that muffler.

Also be warned that cutting into the cat stuff can be a healt hazard!

Removing the cat from a 5100 muffler CAN be done but it is about as much fun as exterminating your "bad case of the crabs" with a hammer and ice pick!
The cat muff needs modding in addition to the cat removal.

Mike

Just got back from the dealer bought the 5100S 3/8 pitch.

Wen I asked him to de-tune the saw he was really amazed, and asked me why.. Wen I told him that the 5100's where sensitive for overheating he was even more amazed. He had never seen a return up to date, with that problem. He told me the altitude in the us was probably the reason.

Saw is now de-tuned to 14.000 en I run it with 1:40 fuel.
Should be fine now...

Made a view cuts and happy with it so far..
Cheers,

Just got back from the dealer bought the 5100S 3/8 pitch.

Wen I asked him to de-tune the saw he was really amazed, and asked me why.. Wen I told him that the 5100's where sensitive for overheating he was even more amazed. He had never seen a return up to date, with that problem. He told me the altitude in the us was probably the reason.

Saw is now de-tuned to 14.000 en I run it with 1:40 fuel.
Should be fine now...

Made a view cuts and happy with it so far..
Cheers,

It is not detuned, just retuned (sounds much better)!

I know I'm reviving the dead here but, the 5105 has been around for a few now. The 5105 I have has a cat muffler and has a non epoxied carb, yet "non-adjustable."
Ok, so what I think is that keeping the cat muffler is a benefit if you remove the cat because I believe it is set up as a scavenging exhaust. It has a pipe setup similar to a snowmobile tuned pipe whereas the 5100s exhaust is a box with a hole. I've not yet been able to test my claim but soon will if my cat muffler doesn't sell on e bay. It's true that if you can gain adjustment on the carb you can make the 5100s muffler installed on the 5105 improve performance.

After the 5100 muffler was installed mine was rich on the low jet and lean on the high. It sounds nice low end and not as sweet high end compared to stock, but it cuts faster.

are you sur about you carb is not adjustable , you probably just need to make a special tool to keep screw out and make it a cut

Not sure about the throttle cable but I did cut slots in the adjustment ends of the jets with a dremel and a cut off wheel. I was able to do it in place.

Back