Dolmar 5100S 20" test by logging crew

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cuttinscott

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Well folks the 5100S came back thisafternoon after a 2 day test from a local logger. The whole crew loved it they said it never hurt for power with the full 3/8 20" combo :blob5: They are buying 3 for now to accompany thier 7900's, 6400's and 9010. They really liked the power to weight ratio. also check out the air filter pic after 2 days of cutting one of which was pouring rain.

SCOTT

Scott,

What purpose is the 5100 serving on this crew?

Are you saying that there weren`t even any chips on the filter after two days, just the imbedded dust? Imagine how clean it would be if those guys ran sharp chain! :laugh:

Russ

Russ, some of these loggers are gettin a bit older now and saw weight is always an issue so these will be felling saws that ride the skidder, they fell a 38" redoak and pushed the he** out of it for a test and like I mentioned before they are buying 3. The skidder saws have been PS6400's 20". Their only dislike was it did not carry enough fuel.

SCOTT

cuttinscott said:
Russ, some of these loggers are gettin a bit older now and saw weight is always an issue so these will be felling saws that ride the skidder, they fell a 38" redoak and pushed the he** out of it for a test and like I mentioned before they are buying 3. The skidder saws have been PS6400's 20". Their only dislike was it did not carry enough fuel.

SCOTT

Scott,

If you are implying that a stock 5100 was used to fell a 38" red oak and the feller pushed the hell out of the saw, I`m sorry but I don`t find that credible. The saw is still only a strong 3 cuber.

I understand that the 5100 is an impressive saw and that you are excited about it finally being here, but if you set people up with the wrong expectations of it`s performance it will come back to haunt you.

If you are saying that the 5100 will be used as a skidder saw in place of the 6400s, used primarily for bucking to length or trimming, I`d buy that and say that`s impressive. Once the stick is on the ground you have alot more time and leeway to operate with a less than optimaly powered saw. I know of quite a few 55-65cc saws riding skidders.

Russ

spike60 said:
Russ;

Have you run one?

Yes Spike, I own one.

Are you saying that felling 38" red oak with a 5100 outfitted with 3/8s chain is plausable?

Have you run one?

Have you ever felled a tree, never mind a large red oak which is prone to barberchair if you lollygag in the cut?

Russ

not saying i would recommend this saw for a steady diet of large oak felling but he put it to a TEST to see if it was capable and it was.. and the reason for testing 20" so his chains would be the same for the other saws he owns

SCOTT

cuttinscott said:
.....and the reason for testing 20" so his chains would be the same for the other saws he owns
I made that assumption.

cuttinscott said:
not saying i would recommend this saw for a steady diet of large oak felling but he put it to a TEST to see if it was capable and it was..
I could paint the Brooklyn Bridge with an artist`s paintbrush, so I suppose that you could then say that it passes the test?

Let`s just let this wonderful thread fade into oblivion......

Russ

It was just a TEST

I could paint the Brooklyn Bridge with an artist`s paintbrush, so I suppose that you could then say that it passes the test?

Russ...you can be such an A$$ at times!!!

Let`s just let this wonderful thread fade into oblivion......

Russ[/QUOTE]

And who voted you "Class Monitor"?

And, YES....I have a Big Dave modded 5100.

timistall said:
Russ...you can be such an A$$ at times!!!
I`m relieved to see that I`m not alone Tim! :laugh:
timistall said:
And who voted you "Class Monitor"?
So are you telling me that I can`t make a suggestion?
timistall said:
And, YES....I have a Big Dave modded 5100.
I could say Big Deal but instead I think I`ll say so what? Why are you dragging Dave into this?

Russ

NO, but your next question would have been....Tim, do you have a 5100?
Your painting the bridge was stupid. Helloooo, it was a test. 50cc cutting twice the length of it's bar is common. Quit being a jerk.

timistall said:
NO, but your next question would have been....Tim, do you have a 5100?
Your painting the bridge was stupid. Helloooo, it was a test. 50cc cutting twice the length of it's bar is common. Quit being a jerk.

Actually Tim it`s obvious to me that you`ve never felled any big trees or you would know that painting the bridge with a tiny brush is far safer than felling a large red oak with a tiny saw by comparative standards. Also just about as efficient.

Furthermore, just how common is it for a stock 50cc saw to cut twice it`s bar length, especially when the bar is a 20"x3/8? That`s buuullsheet!

Thank you for telling me in advance that you have a 5100, I hope that you are very happy. ;)

If I quit being a jerk, some of you would have noone to play with and others wouldn`t be able to go home at the end of the day because they`d be squashed under a 38" diameter red oak or sent to meet their maker via the barberchair.

BTW, I have no issue with Spike other than he is a dealer of said "wonder saw" ,which is actually quite impressive bone stock, who possibly rushed to defend the honor of his product without being objective. I was simply trying to qualify his perspective.

Russ

Please forgive me...I forgot I was talking to the "All Knowing" Russ. Your bridge painting had nothing to do with safety.

timistall said:
Please forgive me...I forgot I was talking to the "All Knowing" Russ. Your bridge painting had nothing to do with safety.

Yeah it did, I wasn`t anywhere near that big red oak!

BTW, I`ve noticed that some of you guys default to statements such as this
timistall said:
Please forgive me...I forgot I was talking to the "All Knowing" Russ.
when you can`t come up with a solid rebuttal.

Would you feel brighter if I played stupid? :heart: I`ve tried it and found that it`s not really that hard to concede a point if the other person has a solid argument. Maybe you should try it, then we could both walk away feeling like men.

Russ

jokers said:
Actually Tim it`s obvious to me that you`ve never felled any big trees or you would know that painting the bridge with a tiny brush is far safer than felling a large red oak with a tiny saw by comparative standards. Also just about as efficient.

Russ

I'm sure Joker will bite me here for trying to CUT in, get it . . . anyway, i never fell "big" timber, but on big trees out here in the west (greater than 10ft diameter) its not uncommon to make your cuts twice the bar length simply because bars generally arent long enough to make such big cuts. The only exception seems to be when the other side of the tree cannot be accessed for one reason or another, then you can try and bring a really big bar into the picture. I guess my point is that its fine to make cuts twice the bar length on occasion, but there is something to be said about using whats available. If you can get bigger saws and bigger bars why run 20" for a big cut?

Sizzle-Chest said:
I'm sure Joker will bite me here for trying to CUT in, get it . . . anyway, i never fell "big" timber.....

Go on! No cutting in! :laugh:

Big timber is obviously a relative term and since the longest bars available that I`ve seen are maybe 7 Feet I realize the necessity of cutting more than a bars length into some trees.

The same holds true out here in the North East, the land of pretty big small wood where the most common bar length used by loggers is 20". My point relative to using the 20"er on the 38" red oak was not that the use of a bar smaller than the diameter of the tree is somehow assinine, infact I favor as short a bar as possible, my point is that you don`t see too many knowledgable tree fallers using a 50cc saw to do it. Especially when the 50cc saw is stock AND outfitted with a full comp chain which not even you west coast guys do with your unusually long bars. As good as the stock 5100s is, it just doesn`t have the jam for this.

Sizzle-Chest said:
I'm sure Joker will bite me...

huh huh. He said "bite me".

Russ

Last edited:
ANY 50cc is inadequate for falling timber of a decent size. To say anything to the contrary is laughable.
When I think of a 50cc saw, firewooding and limbing come to mind, not falling 38" oaks. For a 38" red oak a 50cc saw is on the small side even for limbing.

bwalker said:
ANY 50cc is inadequate for falling timber of a decent size. To say anything to the contrary is laughable.
When I think of a 50cc saw, firewooding and limbing come to mind, not falling 38" oaks. For a 38" red oak a 50cc saw is on the small side even for limbing.

Latest posts

Back