Dolmar 5100S 20" test by logging crew

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can't take it any longer, the # 1 saw used by logging crews here for timber up to 30" is the 346. Other crews use 260 stihl, 5000 Redmax. The biggest tree I cut this year was a 42" white spruce with a 260. Local dealers do not stock saws over 60cc, nobody wants them. Bars over 16" are special order also.

Stihl Crazy said:
Can't take it any longer, the # 1 saw used by logging crews here for timber up to 30" is the 346. Other crews use 260 stihl, 5000 Redmax. The biggest tree I cut this year was a 42" white spruce with a 260. Local dealers do not stock saws over 60cc, nobody wants them. Bars over 16" are special order also.

What's the main reason to use the small saws? Strictly a weight issue?

What size bar on the 260 to cut the 42" white spruce?

Stihl Crazy said:

Maybe the boys across the pond know more than we do, North America has always been stuck on muscle and HP. I quess you don't remember these trees use to be cut by hand.

timistall said:
Maybe the boys across the pond know more than we do, North America has always been stuck on muscle and HP. I quess you don't remember these trees use to be cut by hand.

Good point. Large sections of the North East were deforested by hand. They would have killed for even an 009 or a 334. :)

I'm sure the guys from Norway and Sweden laugh at our desire for bigger and faster.

cuttinscott said:
not saying i would recommend this saw for a steady diet of large oak felling but he put it to a TEST to see if it was capable and it was.. and the reason for testing 20" so his chains would be the same for the other saws he owns
SCOTT
I could see testing the 5100 on a 38" Red Oak for a FEW (just as a test) cuts once the tree is on the ground. But there is no way on Gods green earth I would fall a tree of that size with a 50cc saw!

I think Rich was the only one to understand this thread! The crew that tested this saw did fell that oak tree, along with other smaller trees. The main use for this saw will be cutting the smaller trees, cutting brush & limbs.

Their smallest saw was the PS-6400, and the largest is the PS-9010. These saws will go into their lineup.

We have Dolmar saws in stock year around from 33cc - 90cc. For bars I have from 12" - 42" in stock.

Steve

Last edited:
First we hear from the obviously unmanly men of Nova Scotia
Stihl Crazy said:
and then the peanut gallery......
timistall said:
timistall said:
I'm sure the guys from Norway and Sweden laugh at our desire for bigger and faster.
then finally hear from a professional logger who has logged from the east coast all the way to Alaska
John Ellison said:
Seems like some are talking about what is possible, if you have the time. Then some are talking about what is practicle to use for production work.
so then 166 feels compelled to pinch hit for his brother
166 said:
I think Rich was the only one to understand this thread! The crew that tested this saw did cut(not fell?) that oak tree, along with other smaller trees. The main use for this saw will be cutting the smaller trees, cutting brush & limbs.
and imply that Scott didn`t mean to imply
Cuttin Scott said:
some of these loggers are gettin a bit older now and saw weight is always an issue so these will be felling saws that ride the skidder, they fell a 38" redoak and pushed the he** out of it for a test and like I mentioned before they are buying 3. The skidder saws have been PS6400's 20".
that anyone felled any 38" red oak with this saw.

kodiakfisher is right, this thread is hilarious!

Russ

KING RUSS has spoken!!! None of us are worthy. Lets kiss his ring.

I'm sure it isn't impossible to fall 38" trees with a 50cc saw, but it's not my idea of fun.
50cc will not see you thru various technical situations that require power, such as when falling leaners. 359's or 357's maybe, but they would have to bekept exceedingly sharp.
38" in a huge tree here in the Great Lakes region and not something to be fooled around with.
This Cherry I felled today was a mere 24" dia. and I sure wouldn't want to have felled it with a 50cc saw. The cutting speed is too slow and may get you into trouble or possibly damage the timber. The saw pictured is a 385 with a 24" bar. The other picture was a double stem Maple with rot and at least 34" across.
John
385cherry.jpg

doublestem.jpg

timistall said:
KING RUSS has spoken!!! None of us are worthy. Lets kiss his ring.

Thanks Tim, you are the last guy that I would expect to genuflect before me so it is especially meaningful coming from you.

:D

I'll bet as far as he is concerned we can all kiss his a$$ we are not worthy of the ring.

I have learned that once you put your neck in the noose Russ is only here to tighten her down if you try and wiggle out of it. Give it up you guys have been called onto the carpet and then had it yanked out from under you.

I actually hope you guys don't give it up, this has been totally funny. When that 5100 has been around for three years and you can find a few guys making a living with that saw then you can crow all you want. Until then you will just have to eat it!

Doug

That red oak must be pretty bad a** timber. I have fallen 24 to 30 inch diameter trees with a 20 inch bar on an 028. I took a loooongg time and had my escape paths well thought out. Never done any production though...but a small saw CAN do big things! The first felling job I had was with an ax...a cherry tree if I recall...you can look it up.

Back