dolmar 5100s bad news

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

North Wood

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
ok so i went out and was playing with the brand new 5100 run out of the first tank of gas and refilled it pulled on the ripcord and wamo the cord jammed about 1 foot out wont recoil or pull out further

here is the kicker as a fun gift my brother gave me a toy craftsman chainsaw
this thing is so cheap of a toy but it is still working and the dolmar is not after 1 tank of gas DOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHH!!!!

unscrew the cover and it should snap back, I bet one of the dawgs got caught. It has never happened on my dolmars, but has happened a couple times on the husky's

04ultra said:
Never on Stihl's..

Quite common on the older non decomp saws without elastostarts. The starter assy gets worn and sticks. Had a couple 046's and 066's like that. I'm talking worn out logger saws, though...

North Wood said:
ok so i went out and was playing with the brand new 5100 run out of the first tank of gas and refilled it pulled on the ripcord and wamo the cord jammed about 1 foot out wont recoil or pull out further

this thing is so cheap of a toy but it is still working and the dolmar is not after 1 tank of gas DOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHH!!!!

I assume you put mix oil in the gas?? and it's not lean seized?? Pull the side cover - if it all snaps back, you'll be fine...

North Wood said:
and to think this might be the first bad post for the 5100

:cry: :cry:
:cry:

On AS there have been a couple of seized saws (one guy - two saws.. hmmm..), and a few what seemed to be air leaks...

Not good

North Wood said:

2 saws, it's not good dude... you best get your sh17e in gear bud... I've got a 5100 on the way and haven't had a bit of trouble with my 7900 and have put about 10 tanks of gas through it. maybe you should get to work eh???? lmfao... :rock: :ices_rofl:

North Wood said:
and to think this might be the first bad post for the 5100

:cry: :cry:
:cry:
Relax, it isn't, but they are sort of drowning in all the good ones........

Misfortunes can happen with any saw model, regardless of brand.

Guys buying the 5100S, check your carbs and make sure they are tightened down. Seems there is a elf not doing his job and making sure they are tight.
When I was down at Ralphs and running saws. I told him about this and sure enough his was 1 1/2 - 2 turns loose each. This creates a air leak and we all know what this causes.

SawWitch said:
Well, this isn't scaring me off, I still want one......

:chainsaw: :heart: ;)

Me too.

With a brand new saw, I always monitor it occasionaly with a tach to prevent heartache. For whatever reason, most of the saws I've bought (eg the 7900) actually run a tiny bit leaner as they break in, rather than richer. The tach keeps me out of trouble until I am familiar with the way the saw sounds.

B_Turner said:
Me too.

With a brand new saw, I always monitor it occasionaly with a tach to prevent heartache. For whatever reason, most of the saws I've bought (eg the 7900) actually run a tiny bit leaner as they break in, rather than richer. The tach keeps me out of trouble until I am familiar with the way the saw sounds.

Just be careful of the 5100 sound....It sounds differant that the 7900 does when it hits the limiter... It is unique at the least

lol no i did not sieze the motor and the second tank was not even run as i said it was the first pull to start it on the second tank the first tank was what the dealer put in to set up the saw im sure it is one of the dugs in the starter assembly just kind of pisses me off on a brand new saw to have this happen
dooooh!

will admit it ran like a screeming (insert operative word) on that first tank
was soo looking forward to using it the whole day but had to switch to the old trusty echo to finish the job

B_Turner said:
Me too.

I'm not sure they run leaner... they just pick up a few hundred rpm as the rings bed in.

From what I have heard the 5100 comes from the factory a little rich and even set at the limiter it is still a little rich.

Setting with a tach or going by the four-stroking method may not apply.

What I did on my 5100 was to set the carb just below the rev-limiter then gradually lean the saw out 'til the power starts to fall off then back it up a little.

I should also add that my 5100 acts differently than all the other saws that I have.

When fired up cold and let warm a little (30 seconds to 1 min.) it will rev out to around 10,000 rpm (give or take)

But after it gets fully warmed up it will rev all the way up. This is all without changing any adjustments on the carb.

Point is............on this saw (as well as others) it is important to bring the saw up to full operating temperature before making any adjustments!!!

Last edited:
rahtreelimbs said:
From what I have heard the 5100 comes from the factory a little rich and even set at the limiter it is still a little rich.

Setting with a tach or going by the four-stroking method may not apply.

It may depend on the gas being used. For example, Stihl sets their up with 10% ethyl gas. If you run non-alcohol gas (we can still get it out here), the saw will be a slightly rich.

Damn limiters.. sure make it harder to tune... but do allow a leaner running engine (thanks EPA) without over speed.

Lakeside53 said:
I'm not sure they run leaner... they just pick up a few hundred rpm as the rings bed in.

Actually that makes sense. Somehow I just used lazy thinking assume it was running leaner as the rings bedded as the rpms picked up a few hundred.

Latest posts

Back