• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Arborsist Site and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Want to Sell Dolmar 5100s... Maybe?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

944equipment

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi.
I'm new. I have struggled with my Dolmar 5100s since it was new. I think I just was too ignorant to change how lean it was. So I bought a Stihl 036, which I love.
I was going to sell the Dolmar, but now I'm wondering if I should just try to make it run a bit richer.
What's your take on which saw to keep? I mostly use it on 12-18" green wood for trail making... So some stumping, too.
What are they worth used?
Are these questions appropriate for this forum?

Hi.
I'm new. I have struggled with my Dolmar 5100s since it was new. I think I just was too ignorant to change how lean it was. So I bought a Stihl 036, which I love.
I was going to sell the Dolmar, but now I'm wondering if I should just try to make it run a bit richer.
What's your take on which saw to keep? I mostly use it on 12-18" green wood for trail making... So some stumping, too.
What are they worth used?
Are these questions appropriate for this forum?
Welcome to AS 944E.
I would choose the 5100, but the 036 is a better all around one saw plan, but you probably already know that not many here are into the one saw plan :).
There is not much local support for the dolmars, if you are in a pinch with one saw you will need to order the parts, same for the 036 as even though there are more dealers they may not have parts for that model in stock.
I'm thinking you've already laid out the cash, so you might just as well keep them both lol.
This is the trading post, and is where you list a saw for sale. So you could add a price for either one, or both and see what happens, or the moderators can move the ad to the off topic area.
I'd suggest starting a thread there introducing yourself also.
We would need some pictures to figure out the value.

OK, Thanks for the tips and for welcoming me.
Just because you suggested giving a price, I guess $300 for the Dolmar. I've taken good care of it and obviously not used it much since I went for the Stihl 036. I've just spent too long annoyed with the Dolmar [but never made it more rich :( ].
I posted some pics here. I hope they work for anyone interested in seeing it.
J

Attachments

• IMG_20170812_090921258.jpg
    IMG_20170812_090921258.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 89
  • IMG_20170812_090927245.jpg
    IMG_20170812_090927245.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 86
  • IMG_20170812_090931327.jpg
    IMG_20170812_090931327.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 83
  • IMG_20170812_090958767.jpg
    IMG_20170812_090958767.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 70
OK, Thanks for the tips and for welcoming me.
Just because you suggested giving a price, I guess $300 for the Dolmar. I've taken good care of it and obviously not used it much since I went for the Stihl 036. I've just spent too long annoyed with the Dolmar [but never made it more rich :( ].
I posted some pics here. I hope they work for anyone interested in seeing it.
J
There you go.
Is that a shipped price, or is it plus shipping.
Also is the bar and chain included, or power head only(PHO).
Questions inquiring minds will want to know.
Many will have other questions, but these are the basics.

18" bar and chain included. I'll cover $25 of actual shipping cost.
Again, saw hasn't seen much use... Maybe 12-15 tanks of gas.

18" bar and chain included. I'll cover $25 of actual shipping cost.
Again, saw hasn't seen much use... Maybe 12-15 tanks of gas.
Sounds reasonable to me. Lot's of guys like these. I've never ran one, but I'm sure it won't be long and I'll have a few in the basement.
I like all the other dolmars I have, fun saws, great power to weight ratio for sure.

Let me start by saying I'm definitely not a small engine pro!
But here's why I thought it was a mixture problem: Since day one it bogs down like it's out of power when working even on straight cuts (down) through green / wet hardwood... mostly maple or beech. My dad's old Husqvarna (~60 cc) never did that to me. Sure you've gotta go easy with a mid-range saw on that type of wood, but the Dolmar just gave up too easy too early. But it always has run like a champ and starts right up. It was like an ambitious kid, lots of good intentions but not so much muscle. We're up close to 2000' altitude... Not sure if that matters.
Does that help?
I always cleaned the air filter, ran premium gas with Stihl 50:1 oil and generally babied it when I wasn't trying to convince it to push through logs. It's the only saw I ever bought new. I should have tinkered with the mixture or opened up the exhaust, but never did... I was disappointed for spending $$$ and not being thrilled with it.
The older Stihl just goes and goes like a god damn race horse. Gotta love old faithful. :)

Being a new member nobody will buy this saw from you if I had to guess. Too many times people have been screwed by new members...no offense to you.

Gotcha. Well it's available for a look if anybody wants to that's local.
I know I'm new here, but I'm a straight shooter... For what little it's worth, my small welding business making custom brackets is open for review on eBay: user 944equipment. There's more than a decade of 100% positive reviews there. But in the world of the interwebs, I do understand this doesn't mean much.
Thanks for letting me know, though, that's the kind of info I'm happy to get right up front.

BTW you have my interest in this saw...
Being a new member nobody will buy this saw from you if I had to guess. Too many times people have been screwed by new members...no offense to you.
One way to get the price down on a saw your interested in :rolleyes:.
Gotcha. Well it's available for a look if anybody wants to that's local.
I know I'm new here, but I'm a straight shooter... For what little it's worth, my small welding business making custom brackets is open for review on eBay: user 944equipment. There's more than a decade of 100% positive reviews there. But in the world of the interwebs, I do understand this doesn't mean much.
Thanks for letting me know, though, that's the kind of info I'm happy to get right up front.
Great response sir :numberone:.

Not trying to get the price down but just a heads up. I am interested in the saw though.

Where are you located for a local member to take a look? Why not just try to back the high screw out to see if it helps the saw?

I'm happy with the 036, but I suppose I could get the Dolmar out and back both screws out. Couldn't hurt! Next time I'm out, I think I will.
I'm in West Otis, MA, 01245. For some reason I thought that was displayed here... Maybe just bc I had to put it in to register.

Not trying to get the price down but just a heads up. I am interested in the saw though.

Where are you located for a local member to take a look? Why not just try to back the high screw out to see if it helps the saw?
Being a new member nobody will buy this saw from you if I had to guess.
Then your "nobody" lol.
I personally wouldn't say it like you did, but since you did I don't mind making my own disrespectful judgements ;).
I'm happy with the 036, but I suppose I could get the Dolmar out and back both screws out. Couldn't hurt! Next time I'm out, I think I will.
I'm in West Otis, MA, 01245. For some reason I thought that was displayed here... Maybe just bc I had to put it in to register.
It is, but he may be on a cell phone,and depend on the program and how your viewing it that's not available without clicking on your name/avatar and then looking at your info. Many folks don't even know you can do this.

I just asked for his location to help sell the saw because I am on a cell phone like most now days and if I go through his info it wouldn't help anyonelse that is on a phone and is interested know where he was located to check it out.

It does look to be a nice saw. No disrespect to anyone in any way was meant. I was just letting ya know that it is hard for a new member to sell a saw on here.

I just asked for his location to help sell the saw because I am on a cell phone like most now days and if I go through his info it wouldn't help anyonelse that is on a phone and is interested know where he was located to check it out.

It does look to be a nice saw. No disrespect to anyone in any way was meant. I was just letting ya know that it is hard for a new member to sell a saw on here.
That's what I figured.

It does look nice for sure, and I probably would have snagged it up myself if I didn't already have a bunch of 50cc saws, and another scheduled to arrive today :).

Umm, I'm on a smartphone and I could tell he was somewhere in Mass just by clicking on his username and noting that the first two numbers of his zip code are "01". Local enough for me, hehe! Now, I'm using Chrome for this forum, so I'm not sure how things look if you're using Tapatalk. It is understandably difficult to sell a saw here. These guys know what they are looking at, and the things they can't see in pictures are the most important. That is why a member needs to be trusted before making such an important purchase. I'm right there with you, woodchuck. That's why I haven't tried to sell anything on here yet. I'm still trying to build up my "street cred"!

Back