Dolmar 5100s or Shindaiwa 588?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

par38lamp

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello,

No sooner do I decide to buy a Dolmar 5100s, the only other Dolmar dealer I visit introduces me to the Shindaiwa 488. He offers the 20" bar and stock chain for $380+tax. I was all set on the 5100s @ $380 + tax at another dealer I talked yesterday (18" bar with full chisel Carlton chain).

With reliability on the top of my list, should I forgo the Dolmar and buy the Shindaiwa?

The Stihl MS260 is off my list, since I seem to read more negatives than positives about it's antiquated anti-vibration/non current design.

Budget is approx $400; while I would like a Stihl 361, it ain't gonna cut it budget wise. For some reason, no desire to own a Husqvarna.

Is the Dolmar a hotrod with short life? This dealer has had 3 warranty repairs on all the Shindaiwa's he has sold in 5 years, and, for the few that he has sold, none on the Dolmar's.

Your opinions requested. Thank you.

Last edited:
According to independent dyno testing, the Shindaiwa 488 isn't anywere close to the PS-5000, let alone the PS-5100S, in power output, and also quite a bit down from factory specs......

Well, as a Shindaiwa fan, I am gonna steer you to the Dolmar 5100S because I own one, AND have ran both saws.

The 488 is a GREAT saw, with years of proven reliability. It is built very well, has some nice features, and weighs in very close to the Dolmar. The 488 has good torque, uses a 2-ring piston (more durable and longer between ring replacements) and a nice used 488 can be bought used for under $200, which I consider a steal. I would run a 16" or 18" bar and .325" chain on that saw for very good performance. If you buy it new, or find one used, I will guarantee you will be pleased with the saw.

The 5100S is a powerhouse with GREAT anti-vibe. It revs fast, feels very good in my hands, and runs an 18" bar with 3/8" chain buried in a log without hesitation (softwoods out here). The saw gets it quick revs and top end rpm from the single ring piston. There have been issues with this saw not quickly returning to idle after a cut - instead it takes its time to idle down. Many theories are abound on this problem - do a search and read up on it. Just make sure your dealer can service the saw you buy if you cannot/choose not to do it yourself.

For the same money, the 5100S wins hands down. Let us know what you decide to buy!

Well, as a Shindaiwa fan, I am gonna steer you to the Dolmar 5100S because I own one, AND have ran both saws.

The 488 is a GREAT saw, with years of proven reliability. It is built very well, has some nice features, and weighs in very close to the Dolmar. The 488 has good torque, uses a 2-ring piston (more durable and longer between ring replacements) and a nice used 488 can be bought used for under $200, which I consider a steal. I would run a 16" or 18" bar and .325" chain on that saw for very good performance. If you buy it new, or find one used, I will guarantee you will be pleased with the saw.

The 5100S is a powerhouse with GREAT anti-vibe. It revs fast, feels very good in my hands, and runs an 18" bar with 3/8" chain buried in a log without hesitation (softwoods out here). The saw gets it quick revs and top end rpm from the single ring piston. There have been issues with this saw not quickly returning to idle after a cut - instead it takes its time to idle down. Many theories are abound on this problem - do a search and read up on it. Just make sure your dealer can service the saw you buy if you cannot/choose not to do it yourself.

For the same money, the 5100S wins hands down. Let us know what you decide to buy!

Very Strong Statement....:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Another 2 cents worth

I've got a couple of 488's that I bought used for good prices. They both run well, even though one of them hasn't been with me long enough for me to remark on its longevity. An 18" bar and .325 chain is what I run on mine and I honestly don't think they would be well suited for any more than that.

For me the reliability is a bigger issue than a bit more performance in speed or power. From what these other guys who have run both saws are saying however, and if I had good dealer support in the area I'd sure be looking at the Dolmar real close as it appears to be a winner also. Another thing you might try is looking for a used 488. They show up all the time on e-bay and can be had for a fraction of the new price.
The 488 is at least a Toyota Camry in my book.

There wasn't a Dolmar dealer in my area or I would have looked at a 5100. I bought a new Shin 488 w/ 18" bar and replaced the Oregon 33 chain with a loop of Carlton. Maybe this weekend I'll get a chance to start breaking it in. Hey, it's gotta be better than a Mac 610.

Latest posts

Back