Dolmar 5100s refused warranty

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
PB I think you jumped on me without fully reading my previous post.

Read my post again! I said 50cc saws,not all saws. Obviously small saws under 45cc normally run better with low pro 3/8 or .325. I still don't want a 50cc saw that can't handle 3/8 chain as it makes my pecker look bigger. Yes that's the only reason I run 3/8 chain, nothing to do with how 3/8 cuts or the fact I have a lot of 3/8 chain.:dizzy:

I think that it is fairly well established here that in most instances the 3/8 chain is faster on the 5100. It makes perfect sense that Andy would want to run it on 50cc saws that can pull it. I have always run .325 on mine mostly because that is the way it came set up from the dealer. For most people I think it is a matter of personal preference. I think the point the old Dolmar dealer that I talked to was trying to make is that the 3/8 chain will put more load on the saws components and could lead to a bearing failure faster than if you run the .325. Who knows if that is true or not but that was his therory if the saw was being used in a daily operation. I can see the logic behind it but I can not say that it is true.

PB, I think you made your statements to broad. The 5100 is indeed faster with 3/8 than it is .325. I'm talking good sized wood with the bar nearly buried. That is not the case with all 50cc saws.

Also don't be so sure that 3/8 puts so much more drag on a saw. .325 had more cutters in the wood.

The 5100 has a few warts,
but hey, nothing is perfect eh?

Mine has been flawless in the near 6 years.

Always used good synthetic, and a decent chain.

All the trash talkin' they get is quite flattering actually.

PB, I think you made your statements to broad. The 5100 is indeed faster with 3/8 than it is .325. I'm talking good sized wood with the bar nearly buried. That is not the case with all 50cc saws.

Also don't be so sure that 3/8 puts so much more drag on a saw. .325 had more cutters in the wood.

I don't agree that the 5100 always is faster with 3/8 (it can vary with the exact kind of chain) - but otherwise I agree.

My own tests have shown little to no difference with the 3/8 getting a slight nod. That said, I think you've hit the nail on the head, Brad: the difference between them isnt so great, which - i think - is why most were taking offence to the original statement. You're not going to blow up your saw by switching from .325 to 3/8 or vice versa. You may - may - gain a second or 2 each cut one way or the other.

update

I have forwarded my letter (originally sent to API) detailing my complaint to Terry Green @ Dolmar.

Hopefully I will have a more positive experience than others. Stay tuned.

Elg

The 5100 has a few warts,
but hey, nothing is perfect eh?

Mine has been flawless in the near 6 years.

Always used good synthetic, and a decent chain.

All the trash talkin' they get is quite flattering actually.

I just rebuilt one that had the classic lean seize failure. I am pretty excited to see how it cuts, because it runs so nicely out of the wood. I will get some logs tomorrow, but will have to wait due to the 97 degree outside air temp.

On saws that pull it with authority, that is 100% correct. I don't want to derail this thread, but with some smaller saws, .325 chain will cut faster than 3/8 chain. This is especially true with saws that like to run at higher RPM's. If the saw can pull 3/8, use it, but if it can't don't call the saw junk because it won't (in reference to Andy's post). My point is that not all saws should run 3/8 chain.

BTW, there is less load with .325 chain compared to 3/8. Simple math.

There is a functional difference between a spoiler on an Indy car and your mom's Honda Civic. :)

Brad, you think my statements are too broad but Andy's were not? My statements were in response to Andy's claim that if a 50cc saw can't run 3/8ths it is useless. The Husky 350 has no business running 3/8 chain, does that make it a useless saw? The same is true with countless other saws. My point is in the above statement.

Those cutters are still pulling less wood than 3/8 chain. If the load was equal there would be no difference in cutting times, right?

And Andy, I didn't jump all over your post. I pointed out some discrepancies in your statement with a little bit of smart assedness.

Brad, you think my statements are too broad but Andy's were not? My statements were in response to Andy's claim that if a 50cc saw can't run 3/8ths it is useless. The Husky 350 has no business running 3/8 chain, does that make it a useless saw? The same is true with countless other saws. My point is in the above statement.

Those cutters are still pulling less wood than 3/8 chain. If the load was equal there would be no difference in cutting times, right?

And Andy, I didn't jump all over your post. I pointed out some discrepancies in your statement with a little bit of smart assedness.

That's cool no harm done.

Not long ago I took a set of calipers to a .325 RSC chain and a 3/8 RSC chain, there is little difference in the cutter size. The only benefit of .325 would be in smoothness and limb work, and that would be minimal. Now NK .325 is a different story, it puts less load on the saw, so it is a better setup for certain saws.

Crickets..crickets

Just an update.

Still no response from Terry Green at Dolmar. I assume they have received the defective parts by now.

They probably are all backed up with paperwork from all the other defective 5100s...

Tick, tick..

I hope DOLMAR does something for you quick. I am going to forward this thread to my rep and distributor (API).
Im curious what your dealers thoughts are as to why it seized?
I read the dealer is sending the parts to DOLMAR for you. So this means that API refused warranty and never saw the parts?. Seems if the dealer demanded it was manufacturer defect they would have said send the parts in for a closer look.
Good luck , doug

Elgburner - I have sent this thread to my two contacts with Atlantic Power. Hope you get helped to your satisfaction. doug

This just in...

DUGs -thanks very much for your help.

I received an e-mail from Terry Green at Dolmar.

To paraphrase, DOLMAR IS SENDING THE PARTS TO THE FACTORY IN GERMANY!!!

Really? Dolmar wont stand behind their product and now they are further passing the buck in true corporate fashion.

Also, the saw is still in NH, it's just the piston they sent. I take you to Germany...

"Das ist a burnt, scored piston from another one of our bad 5100 s"

"Why can't the Americans just deal with this?"-"lets spend 50 euros to send it back with a note, scored piston, common to 5100s please fix the customers SAW!"

I couldn't be more disappointed with Dolmar and their B.S. I will be contacting the NHDOJ on Monday, I have had it!:mad2:

Please pay attention to this thread and don't let this happen to you!!!! FDLFBD

You can look at the bottom side of the piston and know if it was straight-gassed. If it has an oily film there was oil in the mix. Given Dolmar's problems with these saws, they should just man-up and pay for a new top-end. It isn't worth this amount of bad publicity.

As i said this saw was used 4 times with a fresh mix of 50:1 JASO FD oil and 89+ oct. I cut a 1/4 cord. NEVER straight gassed!

I spoke with Terry today and had the same experience as Andyshine. Wow! that was disappointing.

Also the piston and cylinder were sent from NH to NY to GA to ..Germany. Corporate efficiency at its finest.

These parts have been bounced all over the U.S. Now Dolmar is going to evaluate oil deposits on the Pistons ..in GERMANY.

Basically Dolmar is saying "go screw we got your money". I have been without my saw for two months..

I am tired of people hiding behind a corporate structure who ignore customers and forget WE are where the money comes from!

At this point I would like to collect peoples experiences re: 5100s and the scored pistons.

If you are willing, something like:

Date of manufacturer;
Failure; scored piston etc.
Experience etc.

That's a start anyway. Thank you.

Elg

Latest posts

Back