Dolmar 5100s, vs. Echo CS-520 vs. MMWS Husqvarna 346xp

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

merr6267

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hey folks,

I’ve had these 50cc units rattling around in my garage for a few months, and finally took the time to do a little cookie cutting.

Before I show the videos, please read the details:

Dolmar 5100s – (purchased form Rynosawr) has been through a piston replacement with a factory style piston and rings with about 5 tanks on it. The muffler has been cut apart, gutted and mildly modded under the factory deflector. The base gasket has been eliminated, and I’m left with squish in the neighborhood of 0.021”.

Echo CS-520 – Purchased at an equipment auction missing a clutch cover and starter handle. I’ve replaced those, and modified the muffler. This is an all magnesium clamshell, so the base gasket cannot be removed. It does not really seem necessary, as it’s a great runner as is, and blows about 175psi anyway. The history of this unit is unknown, but it’s been used. It appears to have been part of a fleet, as it had CS-2 written and labeled on it, and it had scars that are typical of fleet use.

Husqvarna 346xp-NE – Purchased new by me in the fall of 2012 and used for firewood un-modified through the warranty period. It had a mild muffler modification and re-tune for another 2 years. It’s now been “touched” by Mastermind including base cutting, squish modification, port optimization and of course, Jon’s patented muffler mod.

All 3 saws are running the same GB Pro-Top bar, that was originally intended for .325 Poulan/Echo mount, but had the nose changed to 3/8 and alternate holes drilled to also fit Husqvarna/Dolmar small mount saws. The chain is a fresh Oregon LGX .050 that has only been run on a few cuts prior to this video to take away any of the “newness” that might affect the way that it cuts in a comparison.

The wood is some kind of poplar that was growing on the shoulder across from my house for nearly 100 years. What I’m cutting is a limb that started on the tree about 50 feet above the road. I’ve de-barked the area that I’m cutting to minimize the effect of the spikes getting caught in the deep furrows and changing the cut pressure.

I’m no tuning expert, so the saws could be a little less than optimized. I’m also no expert at cookie cutting or video editing.

Edit: All 3 saws also used the same Menards brand B/C oil, and 91 octane, Non-ethanol gasoline mixed with Motul 800T at 32:1.

I know that it’s hard to compare the ported saw against the “stockers”. Please see the below thread for a comparison of the same Husqvarna vs. the same Echo last fall before the 346 went to Randy.

http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/346xp-vs-echo-cs-520.265333/

Take care,

Phill

After I put a (cellphone) stop watch on the 3, the average times that I measured were 11.35, 1056 and 6.62 respectively . . . I'm a little high on coffee, with an itchy trigger finger though.

If we assume that the results from last fall have the Echo and the Husqvarna at a dead heat, we can deduce that the new and improved Monkey saw has seen an improvement of 37%

I'll take that.
PM

Latest posts

Back