Dolmar 5100S Start Issue?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wkpoor

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I sold both my 5100's to family members. Unfortunately neither seem to be able to start them. They keep sending the saws back saying they won't start. When I get them they start real easy. I know what the problem is. Lack of starter RPM! I didn't want to go there but now I may have to try and add decomps to both saws. Anyone else do this and a 5100?

I have not ever attempted to install a decompression switch on a 5100 but I can see how someone who was older or small may have trouble starting one. They do take more effort to turn over than you would expect on a 50cc saw. Mine starts like a champ but it does pull over harder than my 029 or old McCullochs. :givebeer:

Contact Cuttinscott, site sponser. He was offering compression release kits for the 5100

Last edited:
I sold both my 5100's to family members. Unfortunately neither seem to be able to start them. They keep sending the saws back saying they won't start. When I get them they start real easy. I know what the problem is. Lack of starter RPM! I didn't want to go there but now I may have to try and add decomps to both saws. Anyone else do this and a 5100?

I think you got that right, they need a healthy pull.

Teach them to drop-start, if they don't already - with the chain-brake on please.....

Also teach them to take the choke off after a few pulls - "pop" or not.

Last edited:
Both are trying to start them on the ground with their foot in the handle. To me that would be harder to do than just holding the saw. My uncle is coming back over Friday and after what I saw the last time I'll bet I'm going to be looking for decomps.

That is the part number for the deco-ready cylinder for the 5100s.
That's the deco valve, which does not come with the cylinder.
The downside with that is you will have an extra cylinder lying around. I'm sure you could remove the existing cylinder and have a machine shop drill and tap the hole for you.

I need to look at the saw and see if there is a boss already in the casting that just needs drilled. And when I get the saw back on Friday I'll look to see if the cover has a port or some sort of place to drill a hole there also.

I need to look at the saw and see if there is a boss already in the casting that just needs drilled. And when I get the saw back on Friday I'll look to see if the cover has a port or some sort of place to drill a hole there also.

I believe that is Scotts preferred method by now - initially he put 5000D jugs on them, if memory serves.......

not hard to install decomps on the 5100, we've been putting them in for a couple of years -- but i think the saw starts better without it. floods easier with deco because the ' pop' is'nt as detectable. you usually need to take the choke off after two pulls.

Last edited:
not hard to install decomps on the 5100, we've been putting them in for a couple of years -- but i think the saw starts better without it. floods easier with deco because the ' pop' is'nt as detectable. you usually need to take the choke off after two pulls.

I can imagine that - it is why I never use the decomp on the NE346xp. :)

...but I'd say 3 pulls, not 2, if nothing happens before that.

I have flooded the 5100 once, but that was because I inadveredly put the switch to "off" instead of "fast idle", after the initial pulls........

What these guys are doing I suspect is not pulling hard enough to get any pop at all and just keep pulling with the choke on and of coarse flooding it every time. I told them no more than 2 pulls with choke on these warm days. I suspect cooler temps will make the saw easier to start. If I coach them they can do it. Something happens when I'm not around.

What these guys are doing I suspect is not pulling hard enough to get any pop at all and just keep pulling with the choke on and of coarse flooding it every time. I told them no more than 2 pulls with choke on these warm days. I suspect cooler temps will make the saw easier to start. If I coach them they can do it. Something happens when I'm not around.

This was my gut reaction too. I havent had a problem at all - mine starts easily every time (albeit Ive only had it a short time) so this seems strange.

I noticed in the manual they had a "procedure" (i.e. slowly uncoil the starter cord until you hear a click and then give it a good sharp pull) - i didnt pay much attention to it because my saw has started perfectly every time but maybe you need to make a photocopy of those 2 pages & send it out with the saw when you lend them :) lol.

Back