Dolmar 5100S that would not oil.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jtheo

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
The 5100S came back from the shop today. All is now well in Dolmar Land.

Now she barks and slings a line of oil like it should. The carb got adjusted out with a tach while it was there.

Best firewood saw that I have ever run. I am using an Oregon PowerMatch plus 16 inch bar and Stihl 33RSC chain. Cuts like nothing I have ever used. I can see this being my favorite saw.

I appreciate all the help that I have received from members on this forum.

Now if I can just figure out a reason to get an MS 361.....

Glad you got her fixed! I would have to agree with ya,best 50cc saw that i have ran too.:chainsaw:

This is great news man. Glad it's back slingin' oil like its suppose to. Mine slings it pretty good!

Whoa. We almost have the same 3 saw plan...

The 5100S came back from the shop today. All is now well in Dolmar Land.

Now she barks and slings a line of oil like it should. The carb got adjusted out with a tach while it was there.

Did the shop explain to you what the problem was and how they repaired it? When I first fired mine up, it slung so much oil I thought it had the opposite problem. Once it got a mouthful of wood, it stopped drewling.:)

Did the shop explain to you what the problem was and how they repaired it? When I first fired mine up, it slung so much oil I thought it had the opposite problem. Once it got a mouthful of wood, it stopped drewling.:)

I talked with the guy that worked on the saw. He removed the bar and let it run and pump out a bunch of oil. Then put the bar on and it worked fine. so I don't know, maybe there was some problem in the oil tank or line that got loosened up.

I have been running Dolmar's since 1984, so it's not like I don't know how to put in bar oil and set the pump screw, and I had it open as far as it would got. Which is not much with these new saws. It's working now so I'm happy with that.

different oil pump design

I talked with the guy that worked on the saw. He removed the bar and let it run and pump out a bunch of oil. Then put the bar on and it worked fine. so I don't know, maybe there was some problem in the oil tank or line that got loosened up.

I have been running Dolmar's since 1984, so it's not like I don't know how to put in bar oil and set the pump screw, and I had it open as far as it would got. Which is not much with these new saws. It's working now so I'm happy with that.

The PS460, PS510, and PS5100 use a different style pump than other Dolmars it confused me as well at first. the oiler adjustment screw is the opposite than the other saws its clockwise for more oil and the other models are counter clockwise....

Scott

As far as I can see you already have a 7900. Now what good would a 361 be for?

Happy for you that it worked out!

I see no reason to compair a 7900 to a 361. The 7900 would walk all over it. Now the 5100 would compair to the 361. I believe those 2 saws would run neck and neck.

Why a MS 361?

As far as I can see you already have a 7900. Now what good would a 361 be for?

Happy for you that it worked out!

I think, from reading this forum, I am starting to want one of each. But then, I do have to watch my budget.... Seriously, I have never run a Stihl, it would be interesting to see how they compare with Dolmar.

.... Now the 5100 would compair to the 361. I believe those 2 saws would run neck and neck.

It simply won't, unless in very small wood.

Ime, the 361 revs up much faster as well - but mine is an Euro one.....

Last edited:
Oil pump adjustment

The PS460, PS510, and PS5100 use a different style pump than other Dolmars it confused me as well at first. the oiler adjustment screw is the opposite than the other saws its clockwise for more oil and the other models are counter clockwise....

Scott
I was confused also. At first I had turned it down, and I finally went to the book for instruction. Why it is backwards I will never know???

I think, from reading this forum, I am starting to want one of each. But then, I do have to watch my budget.... Seriously, I have never run a Stihl, it would be interesting to see how they compare with Dolmar.

I too am currious about the 361. Now that I have ran a 5100 I would like to compair. Need to find a stihl dealer and take one for a spin. See if they're worth $600 plus.

I was confused also. At first I had turned it down, and I finally went to the book for instruction. Why it is backwards I will never know???

shouldn't be confusing, there's a diagram on the bottom of the saw next to the adjusting screw that shows what way to turn.

shouldn't be confusing, there's a diagram on the bottom of the saw next to the adjusting screw that shows what way to turn.

Its called natural instinct, When your accustomed to turning a oiler one direction for years and years........ Its like the lil stihl I just took in trade every time I go to shut it off it chokes.......:monkey::monkey::monkey:

Scott

Latest posts

Back