Dolmar 5105 No Start Issue

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spudzone

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hello all,
I recently did a complete rebuild on a 5105 with a scored piston and sloppy crank bearings. Everything went well including a touch of mild port work & MM but no carb or intake work yet. For post-build testing and tuning, it started easily on second pull, but the tune was nervous and wouldn't settle down or respond well to adjustments. I shut it all down after a minute or so to look for obvious leaks and clean up the carb. The carb seemed pretty clean but I went through it and put a kit in regardless. Feeling quite confident for an easy tune & test after careful intake reassembly, no start. ZIP, NADA - just like I never put fuel in it. Double checked everything I could - coil tested fine, good impulse connection, good intake manifold lock-down, carb air-tight, diaphragm placements correct, vac and pressure tests all pass. I even replaced the intake & impulse parts for fear of a tear, new fuel line, etc, etc. I even pulled the carb apart and did an hour of high-temp ultrasonic bath.

Importantly, it will run on a few CCs of fuel injected into the carb throat for several seconds, but once that's consumed, it's done. Plug never looks wet as in a flooding scenario. I thought the short run would kick-start fuel flow, but I'm not seeing that.

Is it just time to get another carb?

I am totally stumped. After a couple dozen mostly easy builds, this one has broken me! Help, please.
Thanks, Chris

Chris, sounds like your not getting fuel....start at the filter and work to carb. Filter novonstricted? Fuel line good? I like to pressurize from filter to carb to check for leaks. Is carb wet inside? Needle set correct? No kinks? My down fall.....is their fuel in the tank??? Don’t know how many time I’ve forgotten to fuel a saw after a build.

After having replaced much of the saw for new parts already, I am trying a new carb - what the heck, right? This is my first Dolmar build and can't let it defeat me. Vids later, once it's ready. Thanks all.

Chris

Latest posts

Back