Dolmar 7900 Carb upgrade?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rich, I pulled the idle jet on one of my carbs, and yep, there was the membrane. It also had a small hole in it from when I drilled the jet. It doesn't seem to affect the idle, as I was saying, I let it idle for 40-50 minutes while I lapped in the clutch and it never missed a beat.

The hole in the membrane was very small, in fact I couldn't see a distinct hole. Perhaps when I pushed through the membrane it wasn't cut but simply pushed through and then closed back up without removing any material.

The Zama engineers obviously know a lot more about that circuit and decided to install the membrane. Perhaps when we drill the idle jet we just need to be careful about pushing through when that last bit of the brass jet gets drilled out.

Terry do you think that membrane could be a gasket to ensure the brass jet seals when pressed in place?

I should receive a Walbro for a 460, probably this week. I think it has some potential and will be modding it. I'll explain the concepts as I go and the concepts can be applied to any of the HD series. I can start a separate thread or just do it on this thread and keep all the carb tuning ideas on one thread for future reference.
That will give me a little time to order some tools and be ready, l am sure whether l get good results or not my understanding of the inner workings of a carburettor will greatly improve. The OEM carbs in oz can get pretty pricey which is kinda a shame for practice/research purposes. lts threads like this that make AS.:bowdown:

So been looking for my carb modd tools and this is what l think l need; micro drill set 10pce 0.1mm-1.0mm, micro hand drill & pin vice. There seems to be many options on ebay, is there any brands/kits to look out for or ones to stay away from? On a side note Randy just did a build thread on a 3120xp and turned out a H needle on his lathe.....pretty kool!

Have only purchased one set of Micro drills and thats the one pictured. They work really good and I havent had any trouble and have used them on several carbs. Be careful using a drill...I just use the pin vice and drill by hand for the feel. You'll see what I mean when you get the drills....there really small. I didn't want to break one off in the carb.

Another word of caution... I was modding a knock of carb and couldn't get it right. Upon pulling the jet I discovered the membrane had come loose and was blocking a couple of the openings in the carb. Be careful drilling these carbs...I drilled the jet by feel and quit when I just got through the brass....apperantly I dislodged the membrane at that time. The first one I did I drilled through it not knowing it was there.

Just a word of caution,

Rich

Without going through this thread with a fine tooth comb again I can't seem to find the relevant venturi sizes of the carbs in this discussion. Anyone care to enlighten me? Is there anything else that should be considered when guessing air flow capacity? (I don't have access to a flow bench atm)

Does anyone have a link to a suitable kit in eBay? I've searched eBay and amazon and can't quite find anything that's just what's needed for this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Without going through this thread with a fine tooth comb again I can't seem to find the relevant venturi sizes of the carbs in this discussion. Anyone care to enlighten me? Is there anything else that should be considered when guessing air flow capacity? (I don't have access to a flow bench atm)
Dolmar 6400-7900 Zama C3M-DM12=17mm
Husky 372 Walbro HD-12=17.76mm
Shep

What carbs is the question about?

Jon is taking off early in the morning with his family for the weekend. It might have to wait till he gets back. :(

Back