Dolmar 7900w

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tree Sling'r

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Bought myself 2 new 7900s with wrap handles. I must admit in stock form they are a pretty impressive saw. Running a 32" bar.
Though if your that ugly, you better have some snort.
Got the rings seated in the first one, have not run the second. Gonna mod number one and make a video then sell it.
Hopefully all you Dolmar cheerleaders will like the gains.

Last edited:
Should be a fun build. I think I have read they are hot out of the box and not much meat to work with for mods. I will be interested in the results. The other one might be a candidate for a BB kit down the road.

funny lookin' handle on the W models

when the economy gets better i'll try one :hmm3grin2orange:

I have enjoyed all the other Stihl videos you have shared, any particular reason mixing it up on brands now? Something new or different, or just a roll of the dice to have something new apart?

Looking forward to the results regardless.

I have enjoyed all the other Stihl videos you have shared, any particular reason mixing it up on brands now? Something new or different, or just a roll of the dice to have something new apart?

Looking forward to the results regardless.

More or less an investment. If I can get something decent from a Dolmar, I may get some more customers from the eastern side of the country. I like learning of other brands as well.

Bought myself 2 new 7900s with wrap handles. I must admit in stock form they are a pretty impressive saw. Running a 32" bar.
Though if your that ugly, you better have some snort.
Got the rings seated in the first one, have not run the second. Gonna mod number one and make a video then sell it.
Hopefully all you Dolmar cheerleaders will like the gains.

They have the nicest powerband in their stock class. Love em.

And their looks even grew on me to where I think they look good. I affectionally refer to them as my bubblesaws. A number of friends have bought them for themselves over the last couple years once they ran one of mine.

Last edited:
Nice. Looking forward to your results.

Maybe you can figure out how to run a max-flow on it?

Tried my Makita out for fire work, big thumbs down. Had to stop twice in the backcut of a 30" doug fir to clean the air filter because the saw was literally so choked out it wouldn't cut. Never seen anything like that from a Stihl or Husky.

In my opinion, if somebody could put a decent air filter onto it, that would be worth 10 times more than port work to me.

Tried my Makita out for fire work, big thumbs down. Had to stop twice in the backcut of a 30" doug fir to clean the air filter because the saw was literally so choked out it wouldn't cut. Never seen anything like that from a Stihl or Husky.

In my opinion, if somebody could put a decent air filter onto it, that would be worth 10 times more than port work to me.
Your gonna get it you said something negative with actual hands on experience about a dolmar/makita

The filter itself is the same on all of the 7900' in the US. A year or so ago the added a screen to the filter cover, and it works really well. I have however heard talk that Dolmar is coming out with a new and improved filter.

Here is the old and new cover.
attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:

Your gonna get it you said something negative with actual hands on experience about a dolmar/makita

My experience was the same. I converted a nice 6401 over to a 7901 and the air filter was crap. It plugged up fast and let fine dust through. It ran great though when the filter wasn't plugged.

I assume they all have the same filter? My Makita 6401 does have a really small filter. Have there been any upgrades made to them over the years?
They did do a change to the top outer cover. Not sure when it was but I put the new one on my 7900 and it make a big difference. It has a prescreen built into the cover.
attachment.php

attachment.php

They did do a change to the top outer cover. Not sure when it was but I put the new one on my 7900 and it make a big difference. It has a prescreen built into the cover.
attachment.php

attachment.php

Where do you get the new cover? Will it slip right in place on my makita? It will look funny, but i don't care. Where do i get it?

New "heavy duty" filter coming in March. Not sure on the exact details but I do know that it has a felt pre-filter which prevents clogging. Test results with the new filter are described as "excellent".

Latest posts

Back