Dolmar/Makita questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hefley

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Right now I'm using a Stihl ms250, its been my first actual decent saw. Before then I was using cheap poulan pro saws that I always had problems with... I love the stihl, but I'm finding that I need a bigger/stronger running saw for bigger stuff.

I'm looking at the Makita 6401's on ebay. I can find factory reconditioned ones for $479... They come stock with a 20 inch bar, which is what I am wanting. My question is the dogs look huge on that saw. Is the bar around 20 inch, or closer to 18 inch with how long the dogs are?

Haven't called Home Depots yet, but I don't have many close to me...

I wasnt fond of the spikes, until I used them. Very effective, very good bite on the bark around here... but yes, they do consume a good 2" of the bar on that saw. Ive thought about drawing up some plans for a lower profile spike, but havent got around to it yet.

I love the way they look, and I bet they are effective... but man I was hoping it would be 20" ready to go when I got it.. I would hate to have to upgrade to a bigger bar right off the bat. Makes the price go up lol

If the spikes are really offensive you could always try and import some of the European ones.
They are half the size, and very conventional in looks.

Personally I'd just get the saw and use it, then decide if it's an issue.
In actual cutting 1" of 'effective' bar length is neither here nor there.
They are one hell of a saw for the capacity. OK, they are a bit big for 64cc, but they pull more like a 70cc saw IMO.

I've gone the other way and lengthened and dropped the lower spike as it wasn't effective in biting into the trees and timber I cut.
http://www.arboristsite.com/chainsaw/142840.htm

I kinda like them, Does anyone know if they will interchange with the ones on a 9010? If so I would swap someone.

Is that all they take up cutting wise, around an inch? Not so bad. My ms250 is 16 inch, and I just need something a bit bigger. 20-22 inch range. Also what exactly does the factory refurbished mean?

Is that all they take up cutting wise, around an inch? Not so bad. My ms250 is 16 inch, and I just need something a bit bigger. 20-22 inch range. Also what exactly does the factory refurbished mean?

OK, as this is really playing on your mind and I hate to see someone getting all OCD over things, I went and measured from the centre spike to tip of the bar (as best i could with a chain on it) and it measures 442mm. :D

Wow, that cuts it down to about 17 inches you can actually use. I think I would contact them and see if they will swap it out for a 24 or reduce the price and sell it as a powerhead only. Besides I don't care for the factory chain anyway.

Whoa there young fella.

Do you actually understand how bar length is measured ?
It isn't based on actual length of cut.

To give you an idea I've measured an Oregon 20" (72DL) Tsumura 24" (84DL) and Carlton 30" (98DL) bars, all Husky large mount.

20" = 19.25" from the tip to the end of the adjustment slot
24" = 23.75"
30" = 28.75"

The nominal length is a somewhat rubbery figure, really only good for comparing bar lengths not depth of cut.

There is no way you'll ever get close to their nominal length exposed past the case, let alone past the dogs.

And FWIW while people on here run longer than 20" bars on a 6401, if you are cutting hardwood IMO 20" is about it, but that's based on experience cutting harder than hard timber where old school saws like 056's are considered a small saw. :laugh:

Last edited:
So other than Home Depot rental deal if I'm lucky, is this about the best price? I really want one of these saws...

those dogs are like that for a reason ,leverage....they are VERY VERY effective
do not change them ,those damn things cut FAST ,the dogs also help to stabalize

very good saw

The die grinder is your friend

I left the dogs on my 7900 stock, but really only use it for the bigger stuff.

I do l know a couple guys that bought a spare set of dogs for their 7900s cut them shorter and reshaped them with a die grinder. They use their saws more as an all around saw than I do. I would estimate they shortened them by about 3/8 of an inch. In both cases it was a trial and error development, they kept modifying in steps until they got to where they wanted to be.

Food for thought

Take Care

So is $479 a decent deal on this factory refurb saw? I'm about to buy it if thats about the best price these days...

I cant tell you what the best price is out there, but even at 479 you cant buy an equivalent (IMO) within a couple hundred bucks. Great, great saws for the money!

Just bought two from Home Depot for $180 each but haven't got to cut with them yet. Need to order a few small parts for each one that home depot hadn't seviced but my 7900 Dolmar is a tree killer! It flat screems for a stock saw.

So is $479 a decent deal on this factory refurb saw? I'm about to buy it if thats about the best price these days...

The new 6421 go's for $599 at Baileys. The only differences in the 6401 & the 6421 are the cat muffler.. (new EPA rules):msp_mad:

Hey boss i dont know your $$ situtation but here is a smoking deal on a dolmar 6400 brand new but its powerhead only. $470.00 plus shipping. UPS is aroun $15.00-20.00 for the lower 48 states. No tax on the sale as well

[email protected]
His ebay name is gftred7867

They were $479 new at home depot not too long ago if you could find them for sale, then they went to $529 or something like that.

IMO $479 is not that good of a deal for a refurb. It's not that bad but it's about the most you could probably get for one. It's still a decent deal, just make sure the saw is all good and fully functional when you get it.

If I'm not mistaken some of the makita refurb tool distributors used to sell those for like $300 to $400

Latest posts

Back