dolmar ps-510 no spark - which coil do i need?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stainlesscycle

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
i just picked up a dolmar ps-510 no spark. it has a black coil, but i can't tell if thats the correct one - dunno if previous owner replaced it or not? - i'm unsure which coil i need???? the saw serial is 2011.11 243264 any help is appreciated, - this is my first dolmar.. THANKS!

i just picked up a dolmar ps-510 no spark. it has a black coil, but i can't tell if thats the correct one - dunno if previous owner replaced it or not? - i'm unsure which coil i need???? the saw serial is 2011.11 243264 any help is appreciated, - this is my first dolmar.. THANKS!
Nice good running saw if you get it sorted out! Coils are a bit of a issue, if you're not sure if its original see attached IPL, if it has EZ start its more clear, as EZ start coil (and corresponding flywheel) is not interchangeable with none EZ start, the Chinism market has made it more difficult as they just bash them out as replacement for 510 etc, but from what I think they only produce coils for none EZ, but I maybe wrong, if you do as search on here there is some info out there. If you have no way of contacting old owner then all you can go on is the IPL Hope this helps

Attachments

• Makita DCS5121 IPL.pdf
    1.7 MB · Views: 7
thanks for the info, i don't believe it's ez start, i see no decal or marking that would indicate that.. 181-143-205 or 181-143-204 - the fiche is confusing, and for sure the chinesium listings show conflicting fitment.. it is quite a bit heavier than the 026 it's competing with here.

or maybe i'm wrong. it is ez start flywheel driver? this is the one it has.. View attachment 959427
That's the EZ start model, outer case is wider than std model, not to clear but if you look close to where pull cord is you see the difference. Should be 181-143-206 there is a new part number I think 207 that replaces 205 and 206, there are various suppliers, but of course China has the cheapest, I've had good results from other coils from China but never tried one of these, you try if you like, it may work!!

My PS-5100 is at the local Dolmar dealer now. Bought it used, and it's always been a @#$!&*#$ to start, either hot or cold. Now one of the anti-vibe mounts (on the handle) broke, so I took it in and had a talk with the dealer. He said it should start with 2-3 pulls, either hot or cold. My reply was "O.K., do whatever it takes to get to start like that hot or cold, and replace ALL the anti-vibe parts. No need to call me if it needs this or that part, just get whatever you need and get it starting like that."

I have a 7900 and even when it's 0°F out (it lives in an unheated outbuilding) I can put the choke on, leave ignition off, give it one pull, turn choke off, turn on ignition and it'll start with the next pull. The Echo CS-340 has a primer bulb, and that takes a max of 4 pulls to get it started. That 510 of mine would take 20+ pulls either hot or cold.

My PS-5100 is at the local Dolmar dealer now. Bought it used, and it's always been a @#$!&*#$ to start, either hot or cold. Now one of the anti-vibe mounts (on the handle) broke, so I took it in and had a talk with the dealer. He said it should start with 2-3 pulls, either hot or cold. My reply was "O.K., do whatever it takes to get to start like that hot or cold, and replace ALL the anti-vibe parts. No need to call me if it needs this or that part, just get whatever you need and get it starting like that."

I have a 7900 and even when it's 0°F out (it lives in an unheated outbuilding) I can put the choke on, leave ignition off, give it one pull, turn choke off, turn on ignition and it'll start with the next pull. The Echo CS-340 has a primer bulb, and that takes a max of 4 pulls to get it started. That 510 of mine would take 20+ pulls either hot or cold.
I have a few Dolmar/Makita saws 5121, 5030 x 2, 6100 and PS32, 3501 plus other older models, they all start incredibly easy. Sounds like mixture maybe? too weak? have you set it up or is it as it came? Limiters removed? They were generally set weak from the factory. They also had some known carb issues, I think two carb model changes. Once it starts, does it run well? It should be as good if not better than a 026 and much better on fuel 510 is a little heavier as it has ally not mag cases and depending which model a heavy cat exhaust. I've not had any AV issues but I am a mechanic by trade and have a lot of mechanical sympathy, If I pinch a bar I just wedge or use another saw to get it out, not wrenching on saw, which can damage AV's plus splits inlet hoses etc

I have a few Dolmar/Makita saws 5121, 5030 x 2, 6100 and PS32, 3501 plus other older models, they all start incredibly easy. Sounds like mixture maybe? too weak? have you set it up or is it as it came? Limiters removed? They were generally set weak from the factory. They also had some known carb issues, I think two carb model changes. Once it starts, does it run well? It should be as good if not better than a 026 and much better on fuel 510 is a little heavier as it has ally not mag cases and depending which model a heavy cat exhaust. I've not had any AV issues but I am a mechanic by trade and have a lot of mechanical sympathy, If I pinch a bar I just wedge or use another saw to get it out, not wrenching on saw, which can damage AV's plus splits inlet hoses etc
Once the saw is running, it runs well. Not a cat too early for that I believe. It's tuned to run on 100LL gas. Everything else I have starts easily. I gave up screwing with it and dropped it off at the local Dolmar dealer. He will get it right, he's been around for years and is a 1 man shop.

Hmmm...my Makita DCS510 has been trouble free for several years and a fair amount of use.
Go to use it today and it won't start. Getting no spark on existing plug or a brand new one
One source, Jacks Small Engines, wants $106 for a coil. uh...no.
Ordered one off ebay for $27 delivered and hopefully have it in a week.
Fingers crossed. Never knew about the "Easy Start" feature. It has always been a beeatch to spin it over- Surprised I've never broke the rope...

Back