Dolmar PS-7900,I love it!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Russ

What I have heard is that Solo is going to put a Dolmar power plant into a Solo chasis and upgrade the air system. I also heard this will be avail. in a 63cc., 79cc. (7900), and an 80 something cc saw. From my understanding, they will not look like the Dolmar but, a Solo w/Dolmar guts. It's still in the works but, sound like a great set up.
I also heard that the Solo 633 (top handle) is getting an upgrade from a 36cc to a 40cc! More displacement...no replacement.
Gonna get interesting.
Sean

PS7900

It is great to hear all the positive response for the NEW Dolmar PS7900. I am the technical manager for Dolmar in the USA and want all you to know that this is just the beginning of the re-birth of the Dolmar product line in the US. Our website is under construction and should be running some time this month. Until then for more information you can call our toll free number for dealer more information at 1-888-OPE-PART (673-7278)

Terry

I have spent 18 years with Dolmar and Sachs-Dolmar and have never been happier about the future. The basis for the JOY is the new family of the PS6400/7300/7900. We seem to be creating some fantastic interest and I joined in to keep it going at the important level - you guys the users.
\
Terry

OK Terry, now that we are old friends, what kind of deal can you give us on 7900s, lol. Just kidding, well sorta kidding. I almost bought one the first time I saw one in Boonville this past August but to be honest with you, when I found out that Kimber`s are the distributor I held back because I didn`t want to buy a saw that I HAVE to mail order any parts for. They(Kimber`s) have a reputation for ditching anything that doesn`t sell itself which has left too many people without support, I hope this changes because those new machines you are building seem to be very high quality and they sure do run well. Russ

Terry,

Can you explain to us the Dolmar/Makita/Solo relationship? For instance:

Will the blue Makita/Dolmars continue on the market?

Is Dolmar a Makita subsidiary, or is that just a marketing agreement thing?

Dolmar has made saws for Sears. Is that over?

How close in design will the Solos be to the orange Dolmars?

Dolmar website

Hi Terry.

If you have any say in it and it's not too late (never too late, really) please try to avoid making the site non-functional to those of us who prefer not to enable javascript or cookies or plugins, or who abhor navigating framesets.  None of those things are necessary for anything but eye candy.  I'm not saying to not use them at all (except maybe the frames), just don't use them solely - a link like <a href="javascript:something">click here</a> is becoming too common and it's plain wrong.  Typical of an MS Frontpage-using (only) style of designer.

And please ensure that the page will appear in an acceptable manner without style sheets - there's not much worse than a blue field with blue text because the designer chose white text but didn't look at it in a basic environment.&nbsp; For a perfect example of what not to do, visit <a href="http://www.international.husqvarna.com/">Husky</a>, guilty of misusing frames, javascript, and styles or <i>especially</i>, <a href="http://www.dolmar.com/uk/unternehmen/index.asp?var_aktiv=unternehmen">(current) Dolmar</a>, which makes next to no sense even when all the bells and whistles are reluctantly engaged.

And don't forget about those of us who are still stuck with 33.6k dialup.&nbsp; We don't need very large images set to display a smaller size like almost everything at <a href="http://sawchain.com/">Carlton</a> which just took a minute fifty to load for that very reason.

I'm available if you need help getting it right.

Thanks.

Glen

Russ,
Kimbers is a new distributor for us and they are doing an excellent job in getting new dealers in New York and they are working very hard to grow the Dolmar business. I would be very comfortable in getting your Dolmar products from the dealers that in their area.
Terry

Tony,
Here is the relationship:
Makita Japan bought Dolmar in 1991 and had they not bought it, it might have gone out of business.

Yes - Makita blue will continue to be on the market. The factory was expanded in Hamburg Germany thanks to the Makita $$ influence and Makita owns Dolmar completely.

There is a join venture forming between Dolmar and Solo and at this time the Dolmar PS9010 is being made and sold under the Solo name. That is the ONLY model that I have seen for Solo made by Dolmar, but you guys have me curious and I asked the factory today about any other models to come private labeled Solo.

I have never been aware of a Dolmar product sold to Sears. Robin and Poulan made products for Sears and some of these items were private labeled for Dolmar in years past.
Terry

Glen,
The website www.dolmarusa.com will be created by our German factory and we will have control here in the US to make things as user friendly as possible. We are getting the website running as we here in the US have the domain name Dolmarusa and our german factory is creating the website so this has been our primary hold up.

Please do keep me informed as to the content you see on the site as we want to keep it fresh and better than any other competitor website out there.

Terry

There are two other things I wanted to clear up on this thread of information:
1. The Solo 694 is made by Dolmar. The Dolmar PS9010 is not made by Solo.
2. Regarding the difference in power of the Makita DCS7901 and the Dolmar PS7900 - there is NONE. The first catalog printing from Makita was an error showing the 5.8 bHp. The actual bHp is 6.2 as is reported on the Dolmar.

Terry

Terry, please describe for us something of the distribution network for Dolmar saws:

There is a hardware near me that offers Dolmar products, at least on an "order as needed" basis...but the fellow says he orders them from Makita in Texas. He also doesn't push them very hard as he doesn't apparently have a good relationship with Makita, or maybe just the Makita area rep.

Perhaps I should relate that the fellow has some sort of relationship with Makita as a parts and accesories center for electric woodworking tools, as well as doing a fair amount of business as an OPE repair shop. His new unit sales are tending more toward consumer and lawn products now that forestry has become largely mechanized.

My question is this: Is Dolmar well-represented all around North America at this time, or is the Makita thing a work-around until some gaps are filled? I'm quite interested in the 7900 as well, but I won't pay much more for one than I would, say, a Jonsered 2186, and I'd rather not buy one from a dealer that orders it for me under protest.
I should mention that this dealer sees me coming and waves the 80cc EFCO saws under my nose, LOL.

The Dolmar line is sold through independent wholesalers and Minnesota is covered by
LW Meyer
Sullivan, WI
262-593-2244
If the dealer you are referring to is in Minnesota I need to know the name so I can make sure that he is not buying Dolmar products from Makita in Texas.

At this time we do not have total coverage with wholesalers for the US but we are looking for more. The eastern half of the US is covered. We do not have wholesalers in the following states:
Washington, Oregon, California, New Mexico, Colorado, Utah, Nevada, Idaho, Wyoming, North and South Dakota - these are the only states Makita wiil sell dealer direct to in the US.

Terry, Really glad to have you around. It will be great to have someone to ask these questions of who has actual first hand knowledge. As a fan of these already, I got several misguided directions when I first started looking for info one them. I have the 520I now. Bought it to check out the line, and love it. I cant wait to pick up a bigger one and have been checking them out on a regular basis. So who do you have as our dealer in MI? So do you get to go online and hang out and give us the low down on company time? Might as well, you are making a great company rep so far. JB

Hey Eyolf, maybe you are supposed to be the local Dolmar dealer. Things could be worse than that and it`s always good to see a "saw person" connected to a dealership. From what I have seen around here the 7900 is cheaper than a 2186, what are they getting where you are? Russ

Hi Russ.
prices are pretty comparable...when you're up close to the 800 mark who quibbles about small change?

My price on the Dolmar is going to be old; I was kinda mad at the hardware store's guy and haven't been back since last fall, but I remember something like $830 w/ 20" bar. I was having a real hard time getting him to understand that, no, I wasn't interested in the 80cc EFCO he had in stock at about $650, and yes, I understood he'd "have to have at a lot more for the Dolmar."

I see 'em on the web for $700.

Jonny 2186 can be had everyday at about the same price. Probably talk dealer down to about $750...supposedly are hard to get, which probably means the dealer wants to get out from under a couple of 2183II's he's sitting on.

Dolmar Terry:
after seeing your response I drove past the hardware store tonight, but I worked late and they were closed. I noticed a Dolmar sign on the store...Terry, I don't think he'd have any p.o.p. stuff if the Dolmar distributor hadn't gotten on to him, rather than sneaking stuff out the back door at Makita. I gotta get back there and see what the sweetheart deal is on a shiny new 7900...

Hi Eyolf, I was offered a 7900 at Boonville for $675 but was told that they would be $725 at the local dealers. Both seemed like good to fair prices considering what the saw offers. BTW, these prices were from a groupd of three servicing dealers who happened to be at the booth. A 2186 around here is around $750 and they are available, just a lot of dealers aren`t stocking them yet, if ever. Russ

Latest posts

Back