Dolmar PS5100-6100 vs Stihl ms361

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

melly-mel

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
hey guys, noob here. i am a former stihl 029 farm boss owner, and she died. time for a new saw. from the spec i wanted a bit more in my next saw and figured the 361 fits what i want. only issue is the price is pretty high. now while browsing here i found these dolmar, and they seem to garner high praise in the forums. so what i want to know is can and which of these dolmars can either hang or exceed the performance of the stihl, and are tehy gonna last and do me as good as thte stihl would? thanks alot..

Proven design, more power, local dealer support, great resale value etc etc.

ah... forget resale -you'll never sell it.

Use AS search... thousands of posts on the 361...

can you tell me what makes it better, and worthy of a considerable ammount of more money?

I don't own any Dolmar product as it is pretty much unavailable here in Texas. Stihl is what people use here because it holds up.
I have a 361 and it is probably the go to saw. Power to weight ratio is very good and their is hardly any vibration on your hands. Just my opinion.
I don't know your money situation, but atleast look at it and check it out.:cheers:

First, what kind of use??? How much use??? what size of wood????

UMMMMMMM forget the last question!!!
8 cords of wood, and some felling/cut up removal. used a few days a week. i am pretty hard on my stuff. i will maintain it, but not afraid to work it hard.

I don't own any Dolmar product as it is pretty much unavailable here in Texas. Stihl is what people use here because it holds up.
I have a 361 and it is probably the go to saw. Power to weight ratio is very good and their is hardly any vibration on your hands. Just my opinion.
I don't know your money situation, but atleast look at it and check it out.:cheers:
it is very nice, but from what i have read, and spec/price the stihl seems even with the dolmar in many ways, but it's price is quite a bit higher.

8 cords of wood, and some felling/cut up removal. used a few days a week. i am pretty hard on my stuff. i will maintain it, but not afraid to work it hard.

Then I would say the 5100 is too small, unless you have multiple saws. The 361 will definatly suit you well, if your getting into big wood, then I would say you also need a larger saw too. 70cc range.

it is very nice, but from what i have read, and spec/price the stihl seems even with the dolmar in many ways, but it's price is quite a bit higher.

the 5100 is a great saw that is ideal in hardwoods for 16-18 bar. It is only a 50cc saw. The 361 is more of a versatile saw that will pull a 20" bar and has about 10 more cc. It has more power, even though paper specs make them close. The 361 is a great saw depending on its size, weight, broad range....

Me, I like a 70cc saw with a 20" bar for firwood duties, Ms 440, 460, Husky 372, Dolmar 7900, etc

Then I would say the 5100 is too small, unless you have multiple saws. The 361 will definatly suit you well, if your getting into big wood, then I would say you also need a larger saw too. 70cc range.

what about the 6100?

the 5100 is a great saw that is ideal in hardwoods for 16-18 bar. It is only a 50cc saw. The 361 is more of a versatile saw that will pull a 20" bar and has about 10 more cc. It has more power, even though paper specs make them close. The 361 is a great saw depending on its size, weight, broad range....

Me, I like a 70cc saw with a 20" bar for firwood duties, Ms 440, 460, Husky 372, Dolmar 7900, etc
i like the 18 inch bar, and still want to be able to cut limbs if i need. i guess maybe the dolmar 6100 is best for my use?

i like the 18 inch bar, and still want to be able to cut limbs if i need. i guess maybe the dolmar 6100 is best for my use?

the dolmar 6000/6800 is like 10 years old since they made it....If you want it to pull a full 18" in hardwood, get the 361 or bigger saw.

Last edited:
6100??????????

There is NO Dolmar 6100......... there was a PS6000 which was a older design 60cc saw and a little sister to the famous 120si/PS6800 a real good runner and there now is the PS6400 which is in the same family as the PS7300 and the PS7900. All are great saws..

Scott

Last edited:
There is NO Dolmar 6100......... there was a PS6000 which was a older design 60cc saw and a little sister to the famous 120si/PS6800 a real good runner and there now is the PS6400 which is in the same family as the PS7300 and the PS7900. All are great saws..

Scott
my mistake i meant the 6400. can this hang with the 361?

Latest posts

Back