Dolmar PS5100-6100 vs Stihl ms361

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Where in NY are you?? I'll let ya run my 5100, or my 7900. Longevity is a question, both are still fairly new saws. Mine seem pretty well built, good as anything else out there. It's a plastic world ya know. Cases are Mag on them, tanks and accessories are plastic like everyone else nowadays. 6400 is ALOT of saw compared to a 029. How much wood do you cut? How large is it? We'll start there. And don't forget to tell me how far you are from Plattsburgh eh?

:cheers: eh?
i am 3 or 4 hrs from the burg, but i work down here at greenhaven, and work with alot of fellas from ur neck of the woods. i cut several cords a year, fell, and clean up on the property alot as well. 8-15 inch diameter mostly, but some larger as well. i want more power than my old 29, and i feel the 361 is high on the price. the makita 6401 can be had for 200 less plus save on tax if i order it online. plus 1 cent shipping. to me it seems like the best deal, but i do not want to make a mistake. i am not worried about a pound or 2. i want a powerful/reliable saw that will be versitile enough for me.

i am 3 or 4 hrs from the burg, but i work down here at greenhaven, and work with alot of fellas from ur neck of the woods. i cut several cords a year, fell, and clean up on the property alot as well. 8-15 inch diameter mostly, but some larger as well. i want more power than my old 29, and i feel the 361 is high on the price. the makita 6401 can be had for 200 less plus save on tax if i order it online. plus 1 cent shipping. to me it seems like the best deal, but i do not want to make a mistake. i am not worried about a pound or 2. i want a powerful/reliable saw that will be versitile enough for me.

Just go ahead then, if weight or lack of dealer support is not an issue.

I am sure it is a good saw.

Nice

Tell Rob V. I said hey... He's down there right now also dude. Your only about an hour from Greenwich then. Scott and steve from The cutting edge ALWAYS have a big pile of wood to demo saws bro. Try one out with them dude. This is my recommendation. Get the 6400/1, use it for a while, then spend another $100 or so and get the 7900 jug and piston and you'll have yourself something that would eat up a Stihl 460 Mag. If your wanting a huge power gain, and something ALOT more affordable, I'd go that way... Look under sponsors, take the trip to cutting edge and see scotty and Stevey and try'em out. They work great on pricing also dude. Good luck bro. I'd let ya try out my 7900, but it's closer for you to go there for sure, wayyy less than an hour. I drive almost 2 hrs to get to them when I go. If I do have problems, which was only 1 time, I had parts and was back up and running in a day or so...

:cheers: eh?

To be honest, I'd stay away from the internet sales. Your choice, but don't say I didn't warn ya... heheheheheheee

WOW, lots of misconseptions in here...

First off the 6401/6400 will run right beside a 7900 in wood 20" and smaller. You would be very hard pressed to tell the difference blindfolded. Now put a 8T on the 7900 and push on it, and that is when it really shines over the 6400, and with anything over 20".

The 7900 is a 4 channel transfer port...it is closed. The 6400 is 6 channel open port.

The 372 will outcut a 440 with a 20" bar and same chain setups by a few millaseconds in the cut. Now dawg the 440 in and the 440 woops the stock 372. This is why I see the 372 compared to a 460 in terms of fast cutting speed, but it lacks the torque that the 440 and 460 have. This might not be important to cookie cutters, but to firewood guys and tree fellers, the torque is important. ie bucking and pinching, the husky will slow down while the stihl grunts through most of the time.

The 6400 is a decent saw if it can be bought cheap. It has the grunt of a larger 70CC saw, but it does have that HPM powerband of the 7900, 372 etc. It will run a 24" bar if needed, but it won't be the fastest thing in the world. But if it is your only saw, you will love it and not know the difference.

I look at the 6400 the same as the Husky 365. A good torquey firewood and felling saw. As joatmon said, for a guy used to lugging an 029 around everywhere, the 6400 is going to be like Heaven on Earth...

I look at the 6400 the same as the Husky 365. A good torquey firewood and felling saw. As joatmon said, for a guy used to lugging an 029 around everywhere, the 6400 is going to be like Heaven on Earth...

That is about par...except and I really hate to say this but the 6400 has more torque than the 365. I think everyone knows that I am one of the few 365's praisers..... IT is also heavier than the 365 by a good amount. Sorry troll, don't know the paper specs, but it is heavier in my hands

Last edited:
The interesting dark horse......

Is the Solo 656.....it has potential to be the new middle weight contender....

then spend another $100 or so and get the 7900 jug and piston
I personally think he would be happy with either the 361 or the 6400.
Since it sounds like he has dolmar dealer support, he is price concious, weight isn't a concern, then I'd go for the 6400. The price of a 7900 jug and piston is around $200. He could always sell his 029 for to pay for the upgrade.

That is about par...except and I really hate to say this but the 6400 has more torque than the 365. I think everyone knows that I am one of the few 365's praisers..... IT is also heavier than the 365 by a good amount. Sorry troll, don't know the paper specs, but it is heavier in my hands

DLG/KWF reports confirm what you say about the weights - .3kg (about 2/3 of a pound) difference.....

Last edited:
Back