Dolmar PS5100-6100 vs Stihl ms361

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Zodiac45

Zodiac45

Paleostoveologist & Sawwhisperer
Me, I like a 70cc saw with a 20" bar for firwood duties, Ms 440, 460, Husky 372, Dolmar 7900, etc

+1 same here. Always have my 120si and one of it's bro's for backup.

Yes the 6400/6401 will outperform a 361. It's a bigger saw built on a larger chassis. There are also some very good deals on the Makita version right now.

Last edited:
joatmon

joatmon

Addicted to ArboristSite
I had a 6400/6401 and now have a 361. Stock, I think the 6400 will outcut it. There is a weight penalty, but both are great saws. Bucking firewood, the 6400's extra weight wouldn't be noticed much.

Now, a point that seems to be seldom raised about the 5100. The 5100 uses a different bar mount that the 64/73/7900. The Stihl 260/361/440/441/460/660 all use the same bar mount. If you add another saw (what are the odds on an AS member adding another saw), if you stay with Stihl, you can reuse bars. Just something to consider.

Oh, you will buy lots more saws. You understand that, right?

joat

SawTroll

SawTroll

Information Collector
Me, I like a 70cc saw with a 20" bar for firwood duties, Ms 440, 460, Husky 372, Dolmar 7900, etc

For a 20" bar, yes! :)

The downside on the 6400 is that it weights just among the 70-80cc saws, and does't have the power.

I agree that the weight doesn't matter much for stationary cutting though.

Last edited:
joatmon

joatmon

Addicted to ArboristSite
A very, very simple question!

For a 20" bar, yes! :)

The downside on the 6400 is that it weights just among the 70-80cc saws, and does't have the power.

I agree that the weight doesn't matter much for stationary cutting though.

ST,

Have you run a broken in 6400/1? I had a 372XP at the same time I used my 6401, and to me, there was not a lot of difference in their ability to buck firewood. The 6401 felt as smooth as the 372XP (there' that vibe thing) and if there was a little less power, it was not readily apparent.

BTW, I really don't know or care what DLG, et al, says about the 6400/1 because it is a fine saw, as is the 372XP.

Peace,

joat

J.Gordon

J.Gordon

ArboristSite Operative
If you are considering a 6400 and want power just go ahead a get the 7900, same weight but it has the power to put a smile on your face. It’s well balanced with a twenty inch bar and can handle a 32’’ with ease if the need arises.

I have a 5100 for the small stuff and a modded 7900 for everything else.

If I could have one saw only it would be the 7900 because of the size of some of the trees I cut.

If they were a tad smaller (still one saw) I would pick a 361 and would get it woods ported. Then you would have a lightweight power house that has dealers everywhere.

Even though the Stihl is expensive, even more so with a woods port, (not as much as a 7900 though) it would be worth it in the long run if it can handle your big trees.

If not, the 5100/7900 make a real sweet pair, but their even better after you ad EHP to them.

SawTroll

SawTroll

Information Collector
ST,

Have you run a broken in 6400/1? I had a 372XP at the same time I used my 6401, and to me, there was not a lot of difference in their ability to buck firewood. The 6401 felt as smooth as the 372XP (there' that vibe thing) and if there was a little less power, it was not readily apparent.

BTW, I really don't know or care what DLG, et al, says about the 6400/1 because it is a fine saw, as is the 372XP.

Peace,

joat

Of course it is a fine saw, but a .4 kW difference doesn't just vanish into thin air - specially not when the strongest saw have a 4-channel cylinder, and the other one a 2-channel......

With some wood, chain and gearing combinations it will make a big difference, and in others hardly any - that is just the way it is......:givebeer: :givebeer:

cuttinscott

cuttinscott

Addicted to ArboristSite
ST,

Peace,

joat

+1

Scott

ciscoguy01

ciscoguy01

Addicted to ArboristSite
Ny

hey guys, noob here. i am a former stihl 029 farm boss owner, and she died. time for a new saw. from the spec i wanted a bit more in my next saw and figured the 361 fits what i want. only issue is the price is pretty high. now while browsing here i found these dolmar, and they seem to garner high praise in the forums. so what i want to know is can and which of these dolmars can either hang or exceed the performance of the stihl, and are tehy gonna last and do me as good as thte stihl would? thanks alot..

Where in NY are you?? I'll let ya run my 5100, or my 7900. Longevity is a question, both are still fairly new saws. Mine seem pretty well built, good as anything else out there. It's a plastic world ya know. Cases are Mag on them, tanks and accessories are plastic like everyone else nowadays. 6400 is ALOT of saw compared to a 029. How much wood do you cut? How large is it? We'll start there. And don't forget to tell me how far you are from Plattsburgh eh?

:cheers: eh?

joatmon

joatmon

Addicted to ArboristSite
Of course it is a fine saw, but a .4 kW difference doesn't just vanish into thin air - specially not when the strongest saw have a 4-channel cylinder, and the other one a 2-channel......

With some wood, chain and gearing combinations it will make a big difference, and in others hardly any - that is just the way it is......:givebeer: :givebeer:

ST,

Well, if we wanna have an arms race, get a 660 or an 880 or a 395 or a 3120. Gee!

If a 6400 has enough power for his application, then why not consider it? You drive a Volvo, right? Why not a BMW or a Porsche? Those extra xxx kW didn't just vanish now, did they?

Now, a 361 is a nice saw. The thread starter, whom we should be focused on, has been pushing around an 029 for years. I've done that and I've run a 6401. melly-mel would be absolutely giddy with a 6400/1.

joat

2000ssm6

2000ssm6

Stihl User

You have your facts wrong. The 440/460/660 do not use a 4 channel design, leaders in their classes......torque monsters.......chains don't stop on a dime.........

SawTroll

SawTroll

Information Collector
You have your facts wrong. The 440/460/660 do not use a 4 channel design, leaders in their classes......torque monsters.......chains don't stop on a dime.........

LOLOLOL!!!!!

No they don't, that is why there are all those old posts here stating that the 372xp run right on the heels of the 460 in the cut, and the 440 was an also-ran.

BY now, we know that this probably is only true when you can keep the rpms pretty high (above max hp rpms), but the reason is mainly the 4-channel design, that give you a better high-end performance.

2000ssm6

2000ssm6

Stihl User
LOLOLOL!!!!!

No they don't, that is why there are all those old posts here stating that the 372xp run right on the heels of the 460 in the cut, and the 440 was an also-ran.

BY now, we know that this probably is only true when you can keep the rpms pretty high (above max hp rpms), but the reason is mainly the 4-channel design, that give you a better high-end performance.

A 372 running with a 460??? LOL, you must use a bar longer than 16". You guys have the rpms but no torque.

Latest posts