Dolmar PS9000 struggles

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vonstro

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I've got a number of Dolmar saws. I like them, probably because I'm so familiar with them. I've got a strange problem with my PS-9000. I went to start it a couple of weeks ago, after putting it up last Fall, and now, suddenly, the starter pulls VERY hard. It's a big saw and has always taken a strong arm to start, but now I can barely turn it over. I pulled the spark plug and the engine turns over as expected. Also removed the muffler and carb to inspect the import/exhaust ports and everything looks clean. I'm at a stand-still. Any help would be appreciated!

Many times it is caused by the nedle valve in the carb is allowing seepage past it, some tims it is the metering diaphragm has gone hard and is holding the needle off its seat, other times can be a bit of debris or a corroded seat not allowing complete sealing of the needle valve. The fuel tanks often pressurize from temp changes or atmospheric pressure change causing the fuel to seep past the seat. To rule out the carb seepage one can either pressure test the carb or store the saw with the bar sticking upright, hang the saw from the bar will allow the fuel to migrate out through the airfilter.

Checked the carb... not leaking by. Also, I used compressed air to make sure the cylinder was clear and dry. I pulled the plug and turn the engine over a number of times, then put the plug back in. Still no good. There's definitely a problem, but I can't see it.

Checked the carb... not leaking by. Also, I used compressed air to make sure the cylinder was clear and dry. I pulled the plug and turn the engine over a number of times, then put the plug back in. Still no good. There's definitely a problem, but I can't see it.
Check the compression with a small engine comp tester.

Latest posts

Back