dolmar saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Dolmar dealers are in town not out in the small towns the loggers are at. I have a Dolmar dealer 1&1/2 miles for me and another 12 miles form me but the loggers go to saw shops about 25 miles for me. And they all use Husky of Stihl. The arborists in town mostly use Stihl but some use Dolmar. Here in the PNW it's mostly an arborist of firewood saw.

Are you really saying the 7900 is best with a 20" bar and chain? Sounds like you've never even ran a 7900.

How about a 32" bar full comp chain with an 8 pin sprocket in some of the hardest driest wood on earth.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/FtAHBuJFoMw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

yes i am! And to me it sounds like you have never ran a 385! Never will hold a candle to a 385...

If you have EVER put both of these saws to the true test of logging...you will very shortly see what is the better saw....385xp it will be....im telling you from expirence....7900's are a perfect cookie saw i guess if thats what your going by.:msp_rolleyes:

There more popular in the east from what I hear. There has been quite a few loggers and fallers that have ran them with success, a lot of people just don't want to give them a try , and some simply don't like change, and loggers seem to be the worst about that.

I love change but the dolmars DO NOT impress.

wow the video's were rather enlightining. I didn't see much difference between the Dolmar and everything else that was cutting.

The 7900 isn't the end all be all saw, but it out perform it's 79cc and most 85cc saws, and it does so with less weight, less cost, and the same quality. Again this is not to take away from the 385/390 it's just one more option.

The 7900 isn't the end all be all saw, but it out perform it's 79cc and most 85cc saws, and it does so with less weight, less cost, and the same quality. Again this is not to take away from the 385/390 it's just one more option.

WWWWOOOOOOWWWW!!! i thaught id never hear it!!....all i was looking for right there!!....im not hard to get along with. You are exactly right my man..its not a end all be all saw...but it is a pretty good machine for what it is.....:msp_thumbsup::clap::msp_thumbup::D:laugh:

WWWWOOOOOOWWWW!!! i thaught id never hear it!!....all i was looking for right there!!....im not hard to get along with. You are exactly right my man..its not a end all be all saw...but it is a pretty good machine for what it is.....:msp_thumbsup::clap::msp_thumbup::D:laugh:

What??? this was my second post in this very thread, post #11 Maybe you just got a little caught up in things and forgot.:dizzy:

If you haven't timed the two I can totally believe the 385 feels faster, but in reality it's not, even with longer bars. One of the things I and many others like about the 7900, is how it does it's work quietly and without any drama. The Husky's on the other hand scream and shout. This is in no way saying the 385 is a bad saw, they're just different.

The power of the 7900 cane be very deceiving. Myself and a few others that have done quite a bit of saw testing have come to realize how strong prescription can be based on sound and feel.:cheers:

What??? this was my second post in this very thread, post #11 Maybe you just got a little caught up in things and forgot.:dizzy:

Maybe thats what you meant but you worded it way wrong the first time....:D:msp_rolleyes::msp_tongue:

wow the video's were rather enlightining. I didn't see much difference between the Dolmar and everything else that was cutting.

All it is is cookie cutting. Even so, the 385xp is nearly 10% faster in the cut in that vid, and in feel it does feel like it has about 5-10% on it. Not a huge difference, but it is there. Maybe you can argue my 385xp is a strong one, but I doubt it. However, I do not doubt that it is stronger. the video and using the thing cutting tells me so. There is no sneakiness to the 7900. It either cuts a piece of wood in half, or it doesn't.

But 70-90cc saws aren't only about cookies if you do more than firewood gathering(and if firewood is your game, you probably need look no further than a 7900). It is about how they perform when felling and when deep in the cut with longer bars either in big timber or when stumping. That is where torque makes the difference. While Dolmars do run strong from the factory, they still are not modern 85cc saws, let alone an 88cc saw like a 390 or a 92cc like the 660. Having used them all, I can say the Dolmar is strong, but it simply does not have the torque of a 385, let alone a 390. If you stick with 28" bars, you may not notice much difference much of the time(although, I thought it was noticeable). But when you move up to 32-36" bars(A 32 spends most of it's time on my 385xp) or 404 chain, then torque becomes much more noticeable when it is missing. In today's saw game, with modern manufacturing techniques, and where everyone whom is performance conscious has an MM on their saw, cubes are still cubes.

Last edited:
Maybe thats what you meant but you worded it way wrong the first time....:D:msp_rolleyes::msp_tongue:

:cheers:

OK I have to do this just to rub it in some more. This vid was taken at a gtg a few years ago. In it is my ported 7900 with a 32" bar in hard Beech, it was the fastest saw under 121cc in that block. The other saws on hand were stock and ported 440's, 460's, 660's, 372's, one 385, 395 and a few other stock 7900's

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/jjriW-powdg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

:cheers:

OK I have to do this just to rub it in some more. This vid was taken at a gtg a few years ago. In it is my ported 7900 with a 32" bar in hard Beech, it was the fastest saw under 121cc in that block. The other saws on hand were stock and ported 440's, 460's, 660's, 372's, one 385, 395 and a few other stock 7900's

I can vouch for Andre's saw. I've seen it hand it to MS660s and 390XPs.

I can vouch for Andre's saw. I've seen it hand it to MS660s and 390XPs.

Did you do both of these saws, Brad? That 390 obviously has more grunt than that 7900.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/aOrrJhLmZ7M" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Did you do both of these saws, Brad? That 390 obviously has more grunt than that 7900.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/aOrrJhLmZ7M" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

He did and that 390 is stronger than that 7900, both run well however. The 7900 he did for Matt that had more work done to it, is pretty much just as strong as that 390, or at least very close.

Last edited:
He did and that 390 is stronger than that 7900.

Even so, it's certainly not fair to compare ported saws, there are far too many variables as it is when comparing 'stock' saws...

A good example is my video earlier in this thread - you'll notice a 372xp cutting a 19" piece of alder with a 28" bar faster than an 066 with a 24" bar. That 372 has a modified square ground chain and the ms660 has a semi chisel. But no one would know unless I said so. Both saws have dual port mufflers and are otherwise stock.

Last edited:
Back