dolmar saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Im not on here much because things get confusing with all the which is best,faster,etc.etc. But since this is about dolmars, I just bought a brand new 7300 and cant wait to let it rip! I bought a 2009 357xp as well. But I think im going to sell it as I like the fit and finish of the 7300 better. I was pumped to get the 357 but I rebuilt my bud's husky 350 and the 357 looks to close to 350 build wise. To me the 7300 just seems like more of better built/huskier saw. Im sorta nervous about the 357 letting me down, seems to be a finicky little saw. I see them blown up all the time over ebay.

Even so, it's certainly not fair to compare ported saws, there are far too many variables as it is when comparing 'stock' saws...

A good example is my video earlier in this thread - you'll notice a 372xp cutting a 19" piece of alder with a 28" bar faster than an 066 with a 24" bar. That 372 has a modified square ground chain and the ms660 has a semi chisel. But no one would know unless I said so. Both saws have dual port mufflers and are otherwise stock.

Yes, to truly compare saw everything needs to be equal, I'm not new to this.;)

Im not on here much because things get confusing with all the which is best,faster,etc.etc. But since this is about dolmars, I just bought a brand new 7300 and cant wait to let it rip! I bought a 2009 357xp as well. But I think im going to sell it as I like the fit and finish of the 7300 better. I was pumped to get the 357 but I rebuilt my bud's husky 350 and the 357 looks to close to 350 build wise. To me the 7300 just seems like more of better built/huskier saw. Im sorta nervous about the 357 letting me down, seems to be a finicky little saw. I see them blown up all the time over ebay.

The small husky's are phenomenal saws. Sounds like the carb on your 357 needs a simple tuning. The 350 is a good saw, but more of a homeowner saw with it's plastic case.

You will like your 7300, it a great value, and yes it will stomp a stock 372.:)

The small husky's are phenomenal saws. Sounds like the carb on your 357 needs a simple tuning. The 350 is a good saw, but more of a homeowner saw with it's plastic case.

You will like your 7300, it a great value, and yes it will stomp a stock 372.:)

Thanks for the input, the 357 is brand new also-never been started. Just think im going to throw a 24in bar on the dolmar and go with it. Guess I just like the dolmar more cause its different. I feel better know with my purchase of the dolmar. Picked it up for a little over $600. Got the 357 for $500 p.h. only.

Yup from what I know it's pretty hard to find any Dolmar support out west, hopefully that will change.:cheers:

Dolmar dealer 10min from my place. Can't go anymore west then here.

Oh, and I don't know how anyone in their right mind can compare a 390 to a 7900??? Not even in the same ballpark.

HAHA!!! i believe YOU have mis-counted!!! I am un-biased...

Nope, I watched them again and timed them. Here are the numbers I got
Dolmar Run 1: 11-12 sec
Dolmar Run 2: 10-11 sec
Husky Run 1: 13 sec
Husky Run 2: 12 sec

The Dolmar clearly beats the husky out every time. I don't see how you can dispute that. I think you need to look up the definition of un-biased, or biased for that matter. You seem to have a very healthy bias towards the Husky... your ship sank a long time ago and you're still trying to tute your horn while drowning. :laugh:

ouch!!!!

I have run both of these saws (no, I'm not a faller, but that doesn't make my opinion any more or less valuable. I have owned both and have plenty of trigger time with both) and they are a virtual tie. But the weight and price advantage tip the scale significantly in the direction of the Dolmar. That is countered by the availibility advantage of the Husky. If you are a faller, and you don't have access to the internet and don't have a back-up saw, then the Husky becomes the obvious favorite.

Have a couple 6800s, they are fine saws, the flippy choke should be on all saws.

attachment.php

It is pretty damn impressive for a saw that gives up cc's to the often-compared Stihl's and Husky's, and costs significantly less, and weighs significantly less, to cut faster.

What is the 7900's "secret"? I have heard that the compression is unusually high. But, apparently, it uses the same carb/exhaust as the 6400. Seems like a lot of juice would be left on the table, no?

Who ports them, well, and what other mods are available for it? A ported/modded 7900 seems like it would be the ultimate woods weapon in terms of power/weight. Once my Makita warranty expires, I want to swap in a ported 7900 jug and slug.

The last 2 new saws i have bought have been 7900s. Im impressed with them so far and thats saying something.my favorite saws have always been the 385 and 390 but thats changeing now.

A Dolmar dealer near me told me that Dolmar is not trying to compete with Stihl and Husky but is happy being some ware in the number three to five spot for saw sales.
What the dealer also said is that Dolmar was trying to get the RPM Husky is famous for, and the torque Stihl is known for, in one saw. Also they were trying for a middle ground with the anti-vibe. From my usage I would saw they accomplished it.

A Dolmar dealer near me told me that Dolmar is not trying to compete with Stihl and Husky but is happy being some ware in the number three to five spot for saw sales.
What the dealer also said is that Dolmar was trying to get the RPM Husky is famous for, and the torque Stihl is known for, in one saw. Also they were trying for a middle ground with the anti-vibe. From my usage I would saw they accomplished it.

interesting. I think this all makes sense based on what ive seen of both their product and their marketing.

I also see several features/design elements on Dolmars being a "mix" of husky and stihl.

Will stock vs stock it's closer than you might think, but I'm not in my right mind I guess.

Sorry Andre, that's not what I was saying. I think they are in different class of saw, that's why I don't think you should really compare them. I do agree that 7900's are very impressive for their weight, flipping awesome if you ask me, to be nipping at the heels of a 390 with much less weight and 10cc less.

I love my 6401BB, it rocks!

Nope, I watched them again and timed them. Here are the numbers I got
Dolmar Run 1: 11-12 sec
Dolmar Run 2: 10-11 sec
Husky Run 1: 13 sec
Husky Run 2: 12 sec

The Dolmar clearly beats the husky out every time. I don't see how you can dispute that. I think you need to look up the definition of un-biased, or biased for that matter. You seem to have a very healthy bias towards the Husky... your ship sank a long time ago and you're still trying to tute your horn while drowning. :laugh:

my 385 keeps on tuting every day while your re-building your 7900...:msp_w00t:

Latest posts

Back