Dolmar/ Solo?????

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RiverRat2

Serio Tree Freak
Reaction score
was just looking @ the Solo website and they have a 90 cc saw that looks just like the Dolmar 9010 but http://www.solousa.com/store/flypage/chain_saws/694-28_chain_saw.html

The only difference I see is the Dolmar is advertised as less HP,,,even though both saws are the some exact displacement,,90cc??? The Solo is rated @ 6.54 HP and the Dolmar is rated @ 4.9 BHP note that the Solo is rated in HP and the Dolmar is Rated in BHP,,,,, isnt there a difference??? and what's the reason for doing that,,,,

what are we going to do with you....

was just looking @ the Solo website and they have a 90 cc saw that looks just like the Dolmar 9010 but http://www.solousa.com/store/flypage/chain_saws/694-28_chain_saw.html

The only difference I see is the Dolmar is advertised as less HP,,,even though both saws are the some exact displacement,,90cc??? The Solo is rated @ 6.54 HP and the Dolmar is rated @ 4.9 BHP note that the Solo is rated in HP and the Dolmar is Rated in BHP,,,,, isnt there a difference??? and what's the reason for doing that,,,,

4.9 kw not bhp. The bph is 6.9!:cheers:
http://www.dolmarpowerproducts.com/site/managed/html/produkt/4079/PS-9010

Now if you could only teach me your mechanical skills and leave the reading to me!:jester:

Last edited:
The Dolmar 9010 and the Solo 694 are the same saw!!!

Chatted with a Solo rep a week or two ago...........the new Solo's that look like dolmar are Solo saws totally!!!

Rich you're correct about the dolmar / solo deal. The 694 Solo is a Dolmar PS-9010 with a couple changes. The 656 & 681 series are built by Solo but I think you can tell what saw they were looking at when they designed them.

Originally Solo was going to have the 6400-7300-7900 series and maybe the 5000 series. But Dolmar decided not to sell them to Solo. So then they copied them.

Steve

off topic my bad!

Rich you're correct about the dolmar / solo deal. The 694 Solo is a Dolmar PS-9010 with a couple changes. The 656 & 681 series are built by Solo but I think you can tell what saw they were looking at when they designed them.

Originally Solo was going to have the 6400-7300-7900 series and maybe the 5000 series. But Dolmar decided not to sell them to Solo. So then they copied them.

Steve

Two dwarf companies on the cutting edge of how to increase market share:dizzy: by fighting between themselves instead of the giant.

Stihl is No. 1 and will stay that way.

I have products from both (Solo and Dolmar) which are top notch. Sadly, others (general public, not us saw nuts) have no idea what great saws the 7900 and 5100 are because somewhere along the line the product team and the market team came from opposite ends of the brain pool.:censored: :censored:

Chatted with a Solo rep a week or two ago...........the new Solo's that look like dolmar are Solo saws totally!!!

Great...get yer hands on a 681 and give us a report. Just curious how it stacks up to the 680 as far as power.

Josh

Nope.............done buying saws for a while. Comparing the 681 to a 680...........well we will just have to see!!!

Didn't say you had to buy anything...if you know a Solo rep...hit him up. I am sure he will have a demo saw you can put some time on!

Any word on wether Dolmar is going to make their own 90-95cc saw? I would like to see Dolmar come out with a 95cc machine that looks similar to their other machines!

Any word on wether Dolmar is going to make their own 90-95cc saw? I would like to see Dolmar come out with a 95cc machine that looks similar to their other machines!

Dolmar does MAKE their OWN 90cc saw the PS9010 yea its a older since 92' design but has gobs of power. It would be awesome if Dolmar would come out with 2 new large models say a 90-95 cc and a 120ish cc model. In the past they had 85cc 133 supers then a 95cc 143mx a 100 cc 153 and the 118cc 166 So they have made large frame saws and know how to do it it still revolves around how much market they can grab it they did produce a 100cc+ saw again.

Scott

Two dwarf companies on the cutting edge of how to increase market share:dizzy: by fighting between themselves instead of the giant.

Stihl is No. 1 and will stay that way.

I have products from both (Solo and Dolmar) which are top notch. Sadly, others (general public, not us saw nuts) have no idea what great saws the 7900 and 5100 are because somewhere along the line the product team and the market team came from opposite ends of the brain pool.:censored: :censored:

But yet the Almighty Stihl has had relations with other 2 stroke manufactures and has relabeled products. Maybe Stihl has some mixed blood running in their veins as well.

Scott

Our Solo rep has said over and over he was bringing the NEW Solos here for us to evaluate but he hasn't brought them yet.... Maybe he is skiddish to put them into the ole woodpile against a DOLMAR..

Scott

But yet the Almighty Stihl has had relations with other 2 stroke manufactures and has relabeled products. Maybe Stihl has some mixed blood running in their veins as well.

Scott

That's a dirty lie :buttkick: :popcorn: Anyhow... apart from a couple of trimmers last century.... not much!

My turn for lies:
I wonder who Dolmar will team with to get EPA credits?

That's a dirty lie :buttkick: :popcorn: Anyhow... apart from a couple of trimmers last century.... not much!

My turn for lies:
I wonder who Dolmar will team with to get EPA credits?

How is it a LIE if Redmax made 2 cycle units for stihl??????? So it was trimmers it stihl happened.

As far as EPA credits hmm thats why we have 4 stroke blowers and trimmers now and have the PS500V 4 cycle chain saw ready to release when needed.
PS; the 251.4 engine (trimmer and hand blower) is a true 4 stroke and it runs on STRAIGHT GAS..

Scott

How is it a LIE if Redmax made 2 cycle units for stihl??????? So it was trimmers it stihl happened.

As far as EPA credits hmm thats why we have 4 stroke blowers and trimmers now and have the PS500V 4 cycle chain saw ready to release when needed.
PS; the 251.4 engine (trimmer and hand blower) is a true 4 stroke and it runs on STRAIGHT GAS..

Scott

Redmax did not... Shibaru did, but MADE them in Japan FOR Stihl, not relabled. Great units. There was also the old FS36 etc made by IDC for Stihl. The stihl got their factory expanded in the usa and brought it all in house.

I'll wait until I feel one before commenting on 4 stroke saws. Stihl had one too, but went the stratocharged way.

Do your 4 smoke trimmers/blowers have a wet sump? i.e., oil in them? or is is scavanged and pressure pumped? Can I get the oil changed at Jiffy Lube? ;)

Last edited:

Scott

My memory tells me that at least one older Stihl chainsaw model was a rebadged Dolmar or Solo........:cheers:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back