Dolmar troubles

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mowing freak

Reaction score
I just bought a dolmar ps3410 top handle saw. Has already been in the shop twice in less than a week. Is anybody else having the same problem? When using it, it will just die when sitting there in the bucket idling and sometimes when cutting with it, it will just die. After cutting with it, you can shut it off, let it rest a little (like filling it with gas) then it won't start again. The dealer can't seem to find anything wrong with it as it runs fine when in the shop. I tell them they have to run it a while before anything will happen. Going to take it to the shop for the 3rd time tomorrow. I now have a stihl ms200t on the way. Any ideas from owners of these?

Sorry about the Dolmar, haven't heard anything about them other than the on/off switch is in a bad place!
The 200t is a bird of another feather, you will be blown away by the powe of that saw!!! Enjoy it!
Andy

Thats what I look for when it dies and rare occasions, that is the cause but at least I don't have to use the switch often. Saves wear and tear on that switch!!

mowing freak, We encountered this problem and found the wire from the igniter to the coil are routed so they will rub a hole in the wires and short out. This is a simple fix by rerouting the wires so they will not come in contact with the coil terminals. There is a knob sticking up on the cover that covers the flywheel and the wires are on the back side of it. Simply move the two wires around to the other side so they are relaxed and away from the terminals. We are correcting every saw before selling. If you don't understand, I'll be happy to explain by phone. Tony 336-672-1196

To clarify the wires in question connect to the on off switch.

Last edited:
Thanks Uwharrie. Will look into that. I like the saw as specs are almost the same as stihls 200t but price is lower. My 5100 is dying when it idles but not when using it. It is a sweet saw but wont stay running when idleing. Would that be the same problem?

Sawinredneck, where in Ks are you? I'm from coffeyville and have started a tree business as mowing service isn't doing too good because of the drought.

how long are you letting it idle before it dies? If the carb isn't set right, the saw will die at idle. I can let my 5100 idle all day long (if I wanted to) and it is fine.

mowing freak said:
Thanks Uwharrie. Will look into that. I like the saw as specs are almost the same as stihls 200t but price is lower. My 5100 is dying when it idles but not when using it. It is a sweet saw but wont stay running when idleing. Would that be the same problem?

Sawinredneck, where in Ks are you? I'm from coffeyville and have started a tree business as mowing service isn't doing too good because of the drought.

The 5100 sounds like a carb adjustment to me.

You are quite a ways from me, I cut out there, but live just outside of Wichita, I have 80 acres just south of Toronto or Coyville if you know the area well, you are in the same area as Loggerchef, don't see him much anymore, but look him up sometime, seems to be good people!!! Gettig enough of us around here we may be able to have GTG sometime now!! Topjimmy is just north of me, and there is another one out you're way! HMMM.......... The gears are turning now........
Andy

Freakingstang, i make a cut and let go of the trigger and before I can make another cut, it dies. Very bad when working with it in a bucket. Would the idle be set a little too low?

sawinredneck My brother lives in wichita (he's a cop) and will drool over my new business when he see's what I have. He followed me in the lawn care so will see about the tree business. I have got 2 jobs and have to bid 2 more and haven't advertised yet and don't even have my truck setup 100% the way I want. Wow, God is good and so is business! Cool!

Back