Dolmar's Costumer Service.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ancy

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I had just bought my Dolmar 5100 and it came from a FULL SERVICE dealer in the area that was less than a dealer at all. I wasn’t worried about having a great dealer around and they had a close-out price on the saw so I said what the hell. Well doing more reading on here I see there was a filter upgrade and the way I read it the dealer was to have this done to the saw before I got it, also ran, tuned, and gone over with the costumer. Well I thought why not contact Dolmar and run it by them what happened to me and see what happens. I would say they (Dolmar) did awesome.

Dolmar’s Email
Hi Ancy I am sorry to hear you are not being taken care of. I need to know the name of the dealer you purchased the saw from. This saw is a professional hot rod saw a works great in the right hands, it is light powerful and vibration free and it needs to be set up properly so it will give you a long service life and great experience. The reason there has been some bad rap on the internet has a lot to do with alcohol in the fuel and low octane fuel and owners leaning out the carburetor adjustments because that is the only carburetor adjustment you can make unless you have special tools. The saws are set up in Germany, at sea level with 90 octane fuel with no alcohol, to meet our EPA emissions. If you adjust the carburetor the only thing you can do is lean it out running it hotter. That is not needed unless you are a high altitude and then it should only be done by a professional with the correct tools and experience. If you are using midgrade with 10%alcohol you are already running 4% leaner than the factory set it up. We recommend using only using synthetic 2 stroke oil like Dolmar 2 stroke oil in the fuel to help compensate for the extra heat and you have the saw set up properly. I am glad to help you with this so please get that information to me as soon as possible.

My Email
The dealer was Blank Blank Blank. I have been around saws and do own a Dolmar 6400 in the Makita blue and love that saw. I have not had time yet to run the 5100 but does sound like a hot rod. I tuned the card to 13,800 RPMs rich and will speed it up after a few tanks. I am in the mid-west and high octane fuel around here doesn't get used(so stale from the start) and contains alcohol, so I use 87 octane with no alcohol and is the freshest around as everybody uses it. Our elevation average is 1,100 feet above sea level. I just would like to run the saw with the upgraded filter in place so I do not risk anything or any other changes needed. Thanks Again

Dolmar’s Email
Hi Ancy thank you for getting back to me. Our area representative talked to the owner of Blank Blank Blank about the way your saw was delivered to you and he said he would instruct his personnel in both locations so this does not happen again. It is Dolmar’s policy that all saws be set up at delivery (the air filter should have been checked and changed if needed at this time) and tested plus the customer be made aware of all the features and safety of using the equipment. You should have been made aware of the importance of using synthetic 2 stroke oil and been offered the Dolmar oil because we know it is made to the highest standards. Because of that I would like to send you the new style air filter that should be in your saw and a six pack of our 2 stroke oil along with my apologies. I am not sure you have the older air filter so I included the tech bulletin showing the old and new filter, if yours is the same please just keep the new one as a spare. I hope the rest of your ownership goes smooth. Please send me your address so I can ship this UPS.

Awesome! Shame about the dealer, but that's kind of out of their control day to day. That is certainly way beyond the level of service I have received from certain not to be named big brands...that start with H. :msp_tongue:

13,800 on a new unit with the limiter at that rpm sounds like too high to me, at least get it down to 13,500, and follow it closely with the tach! ;)

I have one of the first,all red, 7900's. I later became aware of a problem with some early 7900 flywheels. I called Dolmar HQ in Georgia. I had a really savvy tech person on the line in just a minute or two.

He told me what to look for and emailed pics of the different flywheels. Mine was ok, had probably been retrofitted by the online dealer. Left me with a good feeling about Dolmar, so my next saw was a 5100s.

Ancy, any chance you could post those pics of the new air filter...and when did the filter come out? Any idea?

The original air filter had an open tube that fit into a foam donut on top of the carb over the diaphragm breather hole. The new one does not have the tube and the foam piece is solid. My 5100 S was made in Jan 2008 and had the old part.

13,800 on a new unit with the limiter at that rpm sounds like too high to me, at least get it down to 13,500, and follow it closely with the tach! ;)

Haven't you been warned to stay away from posting about this saw, just today? This is a 5100S and it says 14500 RPM right on the cover.

Dolmar's Email
Sorry I just realized I wanted to tell you that after break in you should keep the RPM down, it will keep the saw cooler and give a margin if you get fuel with alcohol or to much saw dust around the cylinder and you will still have the same cutting speed. 13,800 seems to be a good speed for that saw.

Haven't you been warned to stay away from posting about this saw, just today? This is a 5100S and it says 14500 RPM right on the cover.

Dolmar's Email
Sorry I just realized I wanted to tell you that after break in you should keep the RPM down, it will keep the saw cooler and give a margin if you get fuel with alcohol or to much saw dust around the cylinder and you will still have the same cutting speed. 13,800 seems to be a good speed for that saw.

The current 5105s have the limiter at 13,800, and that was the saw I was referring to!

My 5100S is different, as it started at 14,200, and hit the 14,500 limiter before it had 10 tanks trough it - at that point I adjusted it down to 14,400, and it has been fine so far at that setting. Even in 2007 I didn't dare to buy thay that saw, without getting a tach at the same time! ;)

The current 5105s have the limiter at 13,800, and that was the saw I was referring to!

My 5100S is different, as it started at 14,200, and hit the 14,500 limiter before it had 10 tanks trough it - at that point I adjusted it down to 14,400, and it has been fine so far at that setting. Even in 2007 I didn't dare to buy thay that saw, without getting a tach at the same time! ;)

Read before you post, then you wouldn't even need too!

Latest posts

Back