Dolmars going 100cc+ again!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have 5 Dolmars in my fleet and can't complain about any of them. I also have a good local dealer IMHO.
BUT
I have had some issues with Dolmar in the past with warranty issues (notice the 3410 nolonger in the lineup)

For them to bring out a new big bore saw would be fun, neat, exciting, and a few other adjectives but I believe they should be concentrating on what their lineup is lacking rather than dropping one model for a completely different one with questionable demand in the market.

I would rather see a new "competitive" top handle and something in the 55 to 57 cc range and hopefully the 60cc saw that is rumored to be coming out.

Of course all brands have some lousy dealers - but it also is obvious that the ones that were mentioned are not typical of the Dolmar dealers.

It also is obvious that the lack of a decent dealer network is one of the reasons that they don't sell more saws than they do. Their representation on AS is much larger than it is in the real world.

I'd say that it is Husqvarna's representation that is much greater on AS than it is in the "real world". I can't speak for the rest of the country but Stihl here is top dog.

Around my area Dolmar has better presence than Husky. Most Husky product sold around here originates at Canadian Tire or Lowes, both box store chains.

Which is why I keep challenging your silly assertions. Dolmars cut quite a lot of wood in this part of Canada.

C'mon 166, don't just throw those two bread crumbs at us. Now we're starting to get hungry!!!

Yup... That's just plain dirty pool... But... Since we know ole' 166 don't have much of a sense of humor, he just couldn't show what it was...
If Dolmar wants someone to flog the hell out of a new 6 cube, I'm available...
Just sayin...
An stuff...
:hell_boy:

P.S.
I can keep a secret too...
:msp_sneaky:

Yup, me too. Don't really need one being a tree trimmer most of the time, but just the fact that we can buy one to show off in the van...:clap: makes me :msp_biggrin:.

Of course all brands have some lousy dealers - but it also is obvious that the ones that were mentioned are not typical of the Dolmar dealers.

It also is obvious that the lack of a decent dealer network is one of the reasons that they don't sell more saws than they do. Their representation on AS is much larger than it is in the real world.

Niko,

It aint about being number 1, mopar was always a distant 3rd.

Look at their old muscle, just because you're not in the top 3 or 4, doesn't really mean squat.

I pm'd one of the Dealer's in this thread regarding the 9010- if there are any left and to send me a price. They have not responded, so if any of you here are dealers and have one- pm me.

The assertion that Dolmar had 'nothing to compete with a 357' is half true. They didn't- but only because they didn't have a saw in that size category! The 6100 has been sorely needed for some time, and I think it's a very exciting development. IMO, Dolmar build very solid, work all day saw that get the job done with minimum upkeep. They have 2 new plastic bodied consumer saws out this year, which matters little to me...but still, they are pushing forward. I dont feel (especially with Makita behind them) that they are in trouble.

As for dealers, my local dealer in Franklin, NC is a GREAT dealer, loves the products but will freely tell you that the marketing and organization behind the tools needs some fixing. But hey, I agree with him- do you want MBAs and marketing folks who get products to market and shown off cutting costs on the products to do that, or do you want a bumch of engineers building great quality stuff the right way who are weak at pushing it? If Dolmar would sort out their delivery and find more dealers like mine, they'd be kicking a$$ and taking names.

That is exactly why I don't expect them to come up with any breakthrough innovations, and likely is the core of the problems they have had coping with EPA regulations as well.
They are struggeling because they are small.

Certainly complying with the EPA regs takes quite a bit of money. I know from reading motorcycle magazines that some cool bikes never make it to the USA because it costs so much to comply with the regs.

That being said, it doesn't take much of a budget (or brains...) to figure out that a 115cc top end on a 7900 chassis (with a beefed up bottom end) would be a good seller. Like Spike said, price it $100 more than a 7900 so that the 7900 doesn't become a dust collector and I think they would sell.

No, I wish they would get their #### together and come out with some competitive saws and develop a dealer network. Dolmar never really had a saw to compete with the 357/359 and 361, now they are even farther behind with the 562 and 362. Not to mention all the 55cc saws (455, 290, etc.). I get that the 7900 is a great saw, but they can't be purchased if there is no dealer. Husqvarna and Stihl both have added new saws in the 70cc range in the last couple of years, but nothing from Dolmar. I think it is foolish for Dolmar to enter the 100cc market unless it is truly revolutionary (weight of 70-80cc saw) when they are lacking in just about every other class.

I also think they gotta get #### together, but some people ##### about how certain saws are like 3-5 ccs apart. I believe that is also pointless. I believe thats why they made the 6100, because the 6400 is pointless with the weight of the 7900. Their 5100/05 saw is their 50 cc range, and the 6100 (MAYBE) his the new 6400.

Not sure If they're actually trying to get #### together or not, but If they did, I'm sure they would do a lot better. Every Dolmar I used are built just as good as the leading two, If not better than one of them.

Dolmar parts can easily be purchased online, I don't see what all the fuss about dealer support is about.

That works great for AS, but we are only %0.000001 of the saw market. Not everyone knows what is wrong with their saw, let alone know how to fix it or find the time to do it.

I also think they gotta get #### together, but some people ##### about how certain saws are like 3-5 ccs apart. I believe that is also pointless. I believe thats why they made the 6100, because the 6400 is pointless with the weight of the 7900. Their 5100/05 saw is their 50 cc range, and the 6100 (MAYBE) his the new 6400.

Not sure If they're actually trying to get #### together or not, but If they did, I'm sure they would do a lot better. Every Dolmar I used are built just as good as the leading two, If not better than one of them.

Sorry, but there is more separating the 6400 from the new saws than 3-5cc's. ;) I hope the 6100 is a nice solid saw but also hope it is on a different chassis than the current saws. Now put a 60cc top end on the 5100 and we are in business.

I also need to update my previous reply, of the 4 dealers listed with my zip code ZERO have Dolmar on the shelves. Not out of stock, they just don't stock anything. I think the closest Dolmar dealer that actually has saws would be Dug down in New Gloucester.

The 6100 I believe is lighter than the the 6400, 73 and 79. Not sure compared to other brands, but they (everyone else) have a lot of models that are probably as heavy or heavier in that cc range.

I find it hard to keep track of all the models, but I'm guessing its better than any Sthil in that range.

I did a quick search and the specs I could find bring it in around 13.001 pounds. That's about 0.5 heavier than the 562 and the specs are close on the hp ratings too. Again, the husky has the slight advantage with 4.7 compared to 4.5.

I hope Dolmar does something different with that top cover though, it is ugly as hell.

1-49.jpg

I can't give proper credit for the photo without getting into trouble. Google Dolmar 6100 and you will find it.

That works great for AS, but we are only %0.000001 of the saw market. Not everyone knows what is wrong with their saw, let alone know how to fix it or find the time to do it.

Sorry, but there is more separating the 6400 from the new saws than 3-5cc's. ;) I hope the 6100 is a nice solid saw but also hope it is on a different chassis than the current saws. Now put a 60cc top end on the 5100 and we are in business.

I also need to update my previous reply, of the 4 dealers listed with my zip code ZERO have Dolmar on the shelves. Not out of stock, they just don't stock anything. I think the closest Dolmar dealer that actually has saws would be Dug down in New Gloucester.

The 6100 I believe is lighter than the the 6400, 73 and 79. Not sure compared to other brands, but they (everyone else) have a lot of models that are probably as heavy or heavier in that cc range.#

I find it hard to keep track of all the models, but I'm guessing its better than any Sthil in that range.

I know Dolmar have very few dealers, but that is their biggest problem. They make great saws, but dealers are far apart, but that doesn't have anything to do with their products. Just how they handle the market, which isn't good now.

I did a quick search and the specs I could find bring it in around 13.001 pounds. That's about 0.5 heavier than the 562 and the specs are close on the hp ratings too. Again, the husky has the slight advantage with 4.7 compared to 4.5.

I hope Dolmar does something different with that top cover though, it is ugly as hell.

1-49.jpg

I can't give proper credit for the photo without getting into trouble. Google Dolmar 6100 and you will find it.

I find it hard to keep up to your edits and new posts.

Nothing to write home about. I bet no one could feel the difference tbh.

These machines are for working, not judging how it looks. If it works good, who cares? My husky's falling over all the time when I set them down is more a of issue than a top cover lol

As long as their is a 395xpw what else matters? The 660 and 390 don't compare and yes i know the 395 is a pig but this 395 pig pulls a 36 inch bar unlike any other. Bring on the ms661 or 595xp until then 395 is king of usable saws!!!

1-49.jpg

Hey:

I always liked the no nonsense simple Dolmar appearance. The google photos I saw I really like the looks, and you can see the quality is there. I will start saving for the 6100.

Latest posts

Back