Dominant piston v4 tight squish

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The metal used in Wisecos is a whoooooole lot better than any standard oem or AM piston
I have used a pile of Wiseco Forged pistons. They work great if set up properly in highly stressed situation. The most radical woods say is not even remotely close to highly stressed. I dont see any advantage or need for them to be honest.
I also would not say that Wiseco pistons are better in quality than Mahle cast pistons. That opposite is probably true. I've actually switched to Wossner forged pistons in several applications where I previously used Wisecos.

That's good, I always thought the machined pistons had more weight. Never personally played with any of them.[emoji111]
Wisecos are actually forged. The metal used in a forged pistons is softer than a cast piston which uses a high silicon content alloy. They actually wear faster than cast, but also will not crack or shatter like a cast piston will when subjected to high loads or sloppy tolerances.

Has there been any issues with thermal expansion differences? I would assume the manufacturer compensates with tolerance changes. Saws are sloppy so maybe not an issue at all.

I really see little advantage, especially when considering cost, and they don't seem to be plug and play.[emoji111]

I have used a pile of Wiseco Forged pistons. They work great if set up properly in highly stressed situation. The most radical woods say is not even remotely close to highly stressed. I dont see any advantage or need for them to be honest.
I also would not say that Wiseco pistons are better in quality than Mahle cast pistons. That opposite is probably true. I've actually switched to Wossner forged pistons in several applications where I previously used Wisecos.
I was only referring to the hardness of the metal used. An alumahog doesn't like cutting a Wiseco piston.

Wisecos are actually forged. The metal used in a forged pistons is softer than a cast piston which uses a high silicon content alloy. They actually wear faster than cast, but also will not crack or shatter like a cast piston will when subjected to high loads or sloppy tolerances.

"Forging Alloys
As with the cast piston, the earliest forged pistons were made with poor alloys. The same silicon-induced brittleness that makes the cast piston crack when dropped would have resulted in defects during the forging process had it been used in a forging. Consequently, during the time that the cast piston defined a piston's normal expansion rate, the forged piston was far behind the technology, and this famous for excessive expansion. The forged piston had to be fitted loose, which made it noisy and wasted power. Recently however, silicon has been introduced to the forged piston. A mixture of alloys has been found that together with silicon do not result in defective forgings. For example, nickel has been found to offset the silicon's tendency toward brittleness. However, not very much nickel can be used, as it is a heavy metal, and it affects the mixture in other ways. The result is that the modern forged piston is much more dimensionally stable than was true in the past. It's a much better product, comparable in every way to the traditional cast piston."

Cast Versus Forged Pistons www.motorcycleproject.com

"Forging Alloys
As with the cast piston, the earliest forged pistons were made with poor alloys. The same silicon-induced brittleness that makes the cast piston crack when dropped would have resulted in defects during the forging process had it been used in a forging. Consequently, during the time that the cast piston defined a piston's normal expansion rate, the forged piston was far behind the technology, and this famous for excessive expansion. The forged piston had to be fitted loose, which made it noisy and wasted power. Recently however, silicon has been introduced to the forged piston. A mixture of alloys has been found that together with silicon do not result in defective forgings. For example, nickel has been found to offset the silicon's tendency toward brittleness. However, not very much nickel can be used, as it is a heavy metal, and it affects the mixture in other ways. The result is that the modern forged piston is much more dimensionally stable than was true in the past. It's a much better product, comparable in every way to the traditional cast piston."

Cast Versus Forged Pistons www.motorcycleproject.com
Modern Wiseco pistons are nothing like those made during the 70-80's that gave people fits with seizing. They really are a decent product now so long as you follow Wiseco's set up instructions. Part of this is related to metallurgy, but it's also related to the taper top to bottom and front to back that is ground to. Many people dont realise this, but a piston is slightly smaller at the dome vs. the bottom of skirt and slightly narrower on the exhaust side vs the intake.

I was only referring to the hardness of the metal used. An alumahog doesn't like cutting a Wiseco piston.
I have not done much machining on Wiseco's other than boring holes that correspond with the exhaust port bridge on Hondas with bridged ports. When drilling the metal cuts nicely, and does feel softer than doing the same procedure on a cast ART/Pro-X piston.

I have not done much machining on Wiseco's other than boring holes that correspond with the exhaust port bridge on Hondas with bridged ports. When drilling the metal cuts nicely, and does feel softer than doing the same procedure on a cast ART/Pro-X piston.

Guessing that's the less brittle part.

Here it is with no gasket and the cylinder resting on the piston. 20191022_180602.jpg

Close up with wrist pin joining them 20191022_203041.jpg

It's a custom Wiseco piston. The price is not out of line at all for a custom forged piston.

As sold, the crown is not beveled. It is a pop-up. At least that's how they were when I was sent samples. Either it's the lighting, or this one was modified, or they've changed the design again. Do you have a pic of the crown?

You're only charging $200 for a complete port job?
20191022_165728.jpg 20191022_165903.jpg

As usual Dominant got back to me in a timely fashion. In my honest opinion the piston is still drop in but be aware if these measurements are correct a thicker gasket may be needed. Calipers gasket and solder. will be in my hands today or tomorrow. The gasket material cost 6 bucks shipped and I'll have enough for multiple projects. Would lifting the cylinder .013 correct some of transfer port timing? Theres also room for even higher compression with squish band work and a factory gasket. Take this with a grain of salt since I have 2 weeks experience with saw building lol.

20191023_223023.jpg
From Dominant:
"That measurement is 0.680" I believe.
Here is a snippet of a conversation Andy and I had while he was designing the piston. I am pretty sure that the V3 piston was built to not have to use any gasket... BUT v4 is made for the stock gasket.

From a year ago: "So I have been wanting to do this for some time. Currently, the 372xp has squish of .050 stock, with .020 gasket. If you remove the gasket and replace it with a home made .003 gasket you still have .033 squish, still to much, ideal is .020 to .018. I think we should ad .030 to the crown above the wrist pin, reduce the pop up to .050, and use the stock gasket. This gives a .020 squish, perfect. One negative is this delays the exhaust opening by raising the piston crown, so to solve this trim the piston crown .020 down just in front of the exhaust port. Same with to the existing exhaust port. This would give the customer the max performance without having to mess with cutting the base of the cylinder. I am going to email Wiseco and see if they can do this."

You could have used a stock gasket and just made another and stacked them. File folders end up being around .006 and cereal boxes around .013. Spray them with copper spray or coat with fuel safe gasket sealer.

Latest posts

Back