Dominant piston v4 tight squish

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Requiring thicker than OEM gaskets or stacking them is not a desirable scenario for what's supposed to be a drop in piston. They simply made the piston too tall. I don't like the bevel on the exhaust side either. That's a bandaid that actually hurts compression and squish velocity. Not a great idea.

Isn't the intake skirt too short as well? Netting too low of an effective intake port lowering. Raising the entire cylinder .013 effectively raises the intake port to a more moderate level. Benifical for exhaust port as well. Transfers benefit from the raised crown. Popup negates the exhaust bevel volume loss. I feel that the whole piston is a bandaid for porting but the benefits outweigh the drawbacks. They need to include another bandaid aka new gasket. tn-9014 can probably be had in various thicknesses as well

I still vote the 268 piston. I think this winter ill do the comparison between the 268 piston and dominant piston. Both new in a new oem untouched cylinder. Same bar and chain in the same log. Ill do port timing, compression comparisons as well. Which will be better? Maybe ill do a ported comparison too..

Too many compromises on this piston IMHO. With manufacturing variances it's almost impossible to get a plug and play part when you start trying to get things this close. Flat top pistons are the best performers and cutting the exhaust side of the piston down for anything other than researching exhaust port timing, is a hack job. Sorry but I wouldn't use that piston, and I'd want my money back. For what they're charging I'd want something a whole lot better.[emoji111]

Oh well. I'm gonna run it. I already got their hat and stickers so theres no turning back lol. After this goes together I'll probably move on to a ms200t so I can clear trails by bike. Thanks guys.

Unless he’s machined chainsaw cylinders before he’s going to have a difficult time the first go around. Not a difficult thing to do but if you have zero background doing it or have not even heard of machining chainsaw cylinders it will be a learning experience for sure.

Back