Done goofed...Broken crankshaft on McCulloch PM6

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gjones8131

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Well I crapped the bed and stripped the crankshaft bolt on my PM6...I posted in the tradin post forum here, but if anyone can suggest other sources to find a new shaft Id appreciate it.

Steve, what do you mean by insert? .... It was late and I foolishly turned the brake (I think thats what it is...on the sprocket side) the wrong way and totally sheared off the threadded part.

Mark, thanks for the idea Ill track those down and post there!

Yes it is an "outie"... Not a happy camper after that.

So you can drill in and put a new thread in? Good to know. Have a buddy whos a machinist who wanted to try that out... Did you have to balance it or anything?

Yes it is an "outie"... Not a happy camper after that.

So you can drill in and put a new thread in? Good to know. Have a buddy whos a machinist who wanted to try that out... Did you have to balance it or anything?
If its in straight/true with the axis of the crank it will not affect the balance of which there is no balance to speak of in a chainsaw crank.

I duck taped the rod to the pork chops on the crank at bdc. Then chucked it in a lathe. Faced off the broken shaft then Center drilled and retapped it, so instead of a stud we used a bolt with lockwasher and flatwasher.(dirtbike engine thevthreads were left hand) I saved a good crank.

Back