Done something stupid today.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I also am glad to here you are o.k. I tell the guys that I work with that every day you do not get it is one day closer that you are.The guys that have been logging there whole lives understand what I am saying but the few newcomers we have do not get it.

Must have been stupid because I spent about 8 hours in the ER.
I had cut a strip up to the highway and powerlines. Shovel came in an logged it out. Went back today and we were going to push the remaining leaners away from the powerlines. Pretty nice spruce 30" to 40" and tall, 3 nice logs and a top to a tree.
The fifth tree I fell I was watching the tree when it started to go and when it hit the ground it flipped up a chunk the shovel had left. Thought I was way in the clear. I had backed up about 15 feet and to the side from the stump. Chunk landed right on me. Knocked me down and landed across my hips. It was about 10' long and maybe 8" through.
Nothing broke but boy am I sore even with some painkillers. Feel pretty lucky though as it could have been a lot worse.

Shovel operator says it was a fluke and no way to predict it but I look back and think I should have seen it. I saw the chunk there, in fact I stepped over it and where I gunned the tree I should have seen it was going to just catch the end of it. Tree landed right where I gunned it. If I would have missed my lay I wouldn't have got hurt.

Saw that chunk fly up in the air and it seemed like my feet were stuck in concrete. Couldn't get out of the way. Afterwards I gutted it out and walked out but one step is tough right now.

I'm afraid the rest will have to wait a few days. After that I really have to quit going back. I'm too old for this.

Glad to hear you are okay pard! I have seen accidents like that happen to guys ranging from greenhorns, to guys with vast amounts of experience and time under their hat. Falling timber is just one of those jobs where the potential for accidents to happen to you is exponential, and you can always see where you should have done something different after the fact. Heal up, and get back out there all the wiser.

No doubt a tough one, i am glad you are ok. Theres has seemed to be an excesss of downed old dead wood on a number of my recent jobs, keeping track of what is going to hit what is a bigone. Sometimes I hate to cut this or that knowing its going to dull my chain a little, old locust laying around or whatever, but that stuff will get you.

You are among the most valued members here in my book, tons of knowledge, thanks for being honest, even the best can have an accident. Hang in there.

I am glad you are not seriously hurt, or worse. It's all a matter of time...if we are out there long enough, our "luck" will run out...can't beat the law of averages.

I know this all too well....yesterday I was pushing a tree beside a house...and my chopper cut too much...cut it about completely off the stump...I panicked and tried to push it away...but to no avail.
Right dead center of the house. BIG tree too.

I got lucky in a way though...the house is an A frame...very strong. Tree snapped, and the butt end went through the roof at the bottom.
I am into it for around $2200. My friend is a pro builder, and he was on site within an hour..
Damage is minimal, considering how big the tree was and what could have happened.
First time in 20 years of doing such things..

Be safe everyone.

Not to derail the thread but that sucks in a different way , at least no one was hurt .
Where's the pics ?

Thanks again guys

I've had lots of time sitting around to give this thought.
I think one of the things that got me in trouble was getting in a hurry. As a cutter I'm not the fastest guy out there. Anymore I don't really care about getting a record amount of work done in a day. After all I'm the only one that gets a smaller paycheck if I don't get a lot done in a day.
When people are waiting on me though that old mentality of hurry up comes back.
I think if I hadn't been is such a hurry I would have saw what was right in front of me.
Moral of the story for me is take your time and don't get in a rush.

Feeling better and another week I'll probably be in pretty good shape.

Hump . I don't know if you ever did . But I have let the shovel hand know that I'll get to it when I do . Or I'de have a talk with him with a soft hammer . .

A guy can't get in a hurry .
Dont let them ass sitters get you hurt . Any girl can run a hyd. shovel . But I've never met a girl timber faller .

I've heard of a few. Jagger Jenny comes to mind.

And another woman that cut with her husband in Oregon.

Ya . I've heard of 1 . But she mostly was a bucker ..Course I've never cut down south secpt for when I was young .

If your brain and eye balls know what to do with a piece of iron most any body can make it work .

Same isn't true for fallin timber your eyes , brain and body have to function pretty perfectly unified . .having distractions messes that up .

Hey Hump ; hows the healing coming .??

Not going as fast as I had hoped. Went in and seen my Doc. He gave me the full reading on my cat scan. Seems I tore the tissue that connects my leg muscles to my pelvis. He had a name for it but I forget. It'll heal but it heals slower than a torn muscle or a bruise. I can walk around good but not so much for the brush. I'm good on a sidewalk but I walk kind of like a duck.
For a long time I couldn't lay down to sleep but chest is better so I can use the bed. Girlfriend gave me a hug the other day and I had to tell her to ease off so it's still a little tender but that healing nicely. Pelvis though seems to be healing slow though.

Back