Don't Complain If You Are Too Lazy To Help Yourself

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I was going to college I was selling cordwood to pay the bills.

A neighbor asked about getting some wood. There were several standing dead ash near the property line (close enough to land on his property), I said I would drop them his way next weekend.

I came back from school the next weekend to find nearly a cord of stacked dried covered wood, that I already had a buyer for missing; the truck tracks went the neighbors house.

I thought of calling the police, instead the property line was throughly posted the next day, he was no longer welcome to even walk his dog.

Amen...In the summertime...the ant has wintertime on his mind! :msp_thumbup:

I put up with the heat and cut and split a LOT in the summer, as I can get in an out. Ya it gets sweaty, but nasty days in the winter, like today, I can kick back and enjoy the fire, too, and not worry about running out.

I put up with the heat and cut and split a LOT in the summer, as I can get in an out. Ya it gets sweaty, but nasty days in the winter, like today, I can kick back and enjoy the fire, too, and not worry about running out.

I do the same. I actually lost weight last summer, (not a bad thing) from cutting and splitting in the heat. I have not worried once this winter about running out. I still like to get out in the winter though and scrounge, either in my own back yard or around my neighborhood. What bugged me so much about my buddy is that I asked him everytime I cut to come with and he never went once. Then he gets an attitude when I want to charge him for wood. Hey my gas, my labor.... Plus my wife thinks he lazy anyway and would have killed me if I had just given him a truckload. Wood ain't the only thing that keeps me warm at night and I wasn't going to jeopardize that heat source...

AMEN!!!

I spend my time in the Spring and Fall getting firewood.
The Forest closes here in the summer though so have to get it when the getting is good.

I just hate it when people expect you to do it for them.

Hell, all of us would be out there helping you buck your wood up, trying out our saws, laughing and having a good time.

I've got all them friends too...
Funny story, a couple of hours ago I was at the feedmill and Mr Congeniality neighbor was there. After complaining about price of hay, taxes and cow prices he wants to know how much wood I have in the back yard.
I say 200 cords, and its not like cows, they don't die, they don't need hay and price is a little more in my control.

I purchased already cut and split pieces from a logger for the first time this year.
His response..
and no work either, you guys always do everything the easy way, you just have to deliver it....

400 pick up truck loads

so in his eyes I'm just another lazy bum..its all perspective I guess

I have started cutting in a cull deck/pile at a friend's place. Before, The Barbie Saw wasn't running too well and I hated having to constantly start it. I managed to get up the courage to play with the little screws that adjust the carburator. I was told on my first job running a saw to "never touch the H & L screws".

Now Barbie is running well. Today, I was wondering why I hadn't been out there so much and it came to me that there are way too many scary saw posts of doom on this forum. You can literally get ascared with all the warnings and such, like always wear your 200 pound suit of armor.

Also, I remembered to throw my calks in today and that made working around and on a deck much easier.

Perhaps those are reasons to not be ready to cut at a moment's notice? Does this clerk run a saw? Are they comfy running a saw?

Standing trees or even those down, are still not seasoned firewood. Not that free wood should be spurned of course, but if you need burnable wood today, trees aren't going to provide that

I have to disagree...at least for a non CAT owner. No, it's not the best wood since it's not split & stacked caressed by a warm sunny breezy location for 2 years. But, it will burn and it will throw more heat then the empty space left by all the wood that was already burned up this winter. I ran out of rounds last week and have been burning standing dead elm, beech maple & hickory. I do cheat a bit on re-starts....I throw on a dry split of hemlock, cedar or poplar, once it's ripping I throw the fresh cut standing dead(all in small rounds) on top. I can get a 8 hr burn with any of this stuff. And yes a flue cleaning will be in order:)

I just snapped these:

Standingdead001.jpg

Standingdead002.jpg

I have to disagree...at least for a non CAT owner. No, it's not the best wood since it's not split & stacked caressed by a warm sunny breezy location for 2 years. But, it will burn and it will throw more heat then the empty space left by all the wood that was already burned up this winter. I ran out of rounds last week and have been burning standing dead elm, beech maple & hickory. I do cheat a bit on re-starts....I throw on a dry split of hemlock, cedar or poplar, once it's ripping I throw the fresh cut standing dead(all in small rounds) on top. I can get a 8 hr burn with any of this stuff. And yes a flue cleaning will be in order:)

I have found the deadfall branches and small trees here, if the bark has fallen off or is very loose, AND, is being supported off the ground by smaller branches, is quite close to being seasoned.

Old widowmakers that have been broken off and hanging for a couple years are also good to rock just like that. They are very good, full air around them. Just a matter of dragging them down.

View attachment 286964

This will explain why no one wants to work for anything. Enough to make a working man's blood boil!

That particular guy was scamming his girl friends food stamps and selling the stuff for $.50 on the dollar. fortunately they caught that one. He'll still be eating on our dime but the menu might not look quite as good and he might be in the market for soap on a rope

I hear you. For the past few years I have supplied my BIL/SIL with wood. Since I have a large truck, I've always delivered it to their house, 65 miles one way. When I have delivered in the past my BIL has always had somewhere he had to be, and my SIL and I ended up unloading and stacking the wood.This year, I told him if he wanted wood, he would have to help me split and haul it himself. Since he has a 1/2 ton short bed truck, he didn't think it was worth his time or gas to come out, help and haul. When my SIL found out why she didn't have wood this year, there was hell to pay. He had told her that I wasn't going to share any more. Our wives are sisters and talk every day. I can't believe he thought he'd be able to get away with the story.
Oh yeah..........he doesn't work either.

Flux him dude you cant help some folks the new american way.. if its free ill take two more if you dont mind:angry:.lol

My beer swillin' neighbor, One Eye Injun Ed, came over cryin' he was out of wood as I was loading my saws to go cut and balked at my invitation to go with me. I finally cajoled the shiftless bastard to get in the truck and we got a nice load of fire wood. I told him to find me some better help and I'd help him cut a load for his place. My truck, fuel, saw and splitter, I gave him a small pile to tide him over, like a couple arm loads..he called a couple days later with two other guys wanting to help him and even had a spot a 1/2 mile down the road with some Ash..being a man of my word I took the near-do-wells and we worked up a couple nice loads of fire wood,,Ol' Injun Ed moved like pond water. It was a good day all in all,,had to buy my own beer when it was over,,dammit! :laugh:

I for sure know how all of you feel! I usually don't burn but about 2 cords a year here in Louisiana. I have always cut way more than I need. When my friends sees me hauling loads to my dads house (he is almost 80, and helps way more than he should) they think I am giving away free firewood, and they should be next! I have no problem helping anyone get some wood, I will take them, help cut, load and split and stack. But that is as far as I'm gonna go. When it gets stacked at my house, it goes in my stove. Don't ask for it! Ya ain't gettin it! And, slightly off topic, I was plowin up my garden spot this past weekend, and my neighbor asked when the peas would be ready. I told him to get to pick peas, he had to help out. Wouldn't you guess it, he said it was easier to go buy some!

Back