Don't hate me for what I'm about to do.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whitedogone

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I've outgrown my Craftsman tool chest that I got in 1976. It has also seen better days. After doing a lot of comparison between midline brands, I've settled on a 44" stack from harbour freight. Lots of pos at this place, just hope these boxes are not 2 of them. I may have to remove the name plates to avoid nausea every time I go for a tool.

Tool boxes and chests are pretty basic. They are either built well, or they're not. The last time I was in a HF store, I was looking at one of their rolling tool chests. It looked to be pretty decent.

If you are happy with the quality, that's all that matters at the end of the day.

I'm one of those guys that would refuse to pay $6K for a Snap-On rolling chest. :dizzy:

Post up pictures of your Craftsman. I have my grandfather's vintage Craftsman chest...sentimental and functional.

I Have a small upper and lower Snap On chest that I got when I was done going to the Tech.
I also have the Big HF lower and side boxes and to tell you the truth the there is not much different
other then the paint on the HF is not that great. But thats what stickers are for.
986b7eca1b5de07fc38640725e721f07.jpg

75399188bf75a9561bc4230c0adb9972.jpg

Dont feel too bad, I buy american 99% of the time... but bought a Clarke HD Plus roll around a few years ago. Craftsman boxes in a similar price range werent on the same planet in quality, and for what I needed I am not dropping big money on a Snap On. Only thing I could have done was shop around used.
I used to work in a heavy equipment shop, and most guys had Snap On or Mac boxes. They were sweet, and dang near everyone of them was financed lol. Hate to think what they ended up costing in the long run. To each their own...

A friend just bought one from Costco, Kirkland brand. It is very well built, and heavy duty.

Ha! That's my box from when I wrenched for a living. It's a little much for home use. The picture does it no justice. 36 inches deep and 96 inches wide.

Don't forget to check out Home Depot too, last time I was in my local Home Depot they had multiple good sales going on, I like the HF chests too, silicon spray makes great lube for the slider and bearings.

The local hd had junk boxes. Only ones I saw that compared to the hf boxes were the ones at menards. Just didn't like the lift handles/drawer latches..... and the extra cash for those.

Little tip while shopping at HF. Engage your brain!

Just don't assume that whatever you buy there will last you a long time. I've purchased items like tow hitches and such. Just as good as stuff you'd find elsewhere, but a much better price.

They recently had a 6.5 hp horizontal-shaft gas engine on sale for $99.00. Chinese stuff for sure, but for $99.00 how can you say you don't need one........even if you don't? :popcorn:

I've had pretty good luck with everything I bought from HF. There are a few things that were not so good, specifically allen wrenches and driver bits. Their 6.00 T-handle set was pretty good for the money though.

I also got one of their long handle flex head "professional" ratchets, and it is a very blatant copy of a Snap On, but it's 25 bucks or so... Again great for the price, and they have a pretty good lifetime warranty.. I've not had any problems with them honoring it either.

About the tool-box, like one of my instructors always said, the day an expensive toolbox makes me any money is the day I'll buy one. All the expensive hand tools save me time and therefor pay for themselves. The box doesn't. The only thing I need from a toolbox is a sturdy lock and drawers that slide. The HF boxes have that covered.

Local garage owner here has a Mac or Snap On Harley Davidson box setup. Said it cost him close to $15,000. Way to rich for my blood

Latest posts

Back