Don't hate the Wraptor....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lol yeah there were a few cottonwoods that compared. The big difference is I am smack dab center of a national forest so the majority of trees here are in the big range. Granted it is not redwoods either but what I was getting at was most of our trees first limb is 40 to 50 foot mark and a wraptor just makes sense to use if you have earned the privilege to use it. Our average tree is 90 foot and I have removed several 130 plus here and in Michigan. Indiana had a few tall and big ones too. I say the difference is the average tree and in the pine belt you will find they average much taller than most of the midwest.

When I travel I watch the trees shrink some and become less and less in dispersed unless I go straight south or east in Tennesee from here. When I go through Iowa I see miles and miles of corn,alfalfa, and I'm always looking for huge antlers hiding in it :) The smallest trees I have seen is western Texas with a few pecan as exception their average tree is 45 foot or smaller if the miles of mesquite is figured in.

I am always fascinated by different eco-systems and not at all putting your area down. My observations are just from my travels.
I'm always thinking about areas my bucket would be more than a ladder as here it is just that, a ladder.

I really am fascinated by the different eco systems of other areas

I have never seen anything over 110' here, and that tree is long gone, massive oak that uprooted, laying on its side, I have a pic of it with Nic (first padawan) who is 6'2", standing next to it, its still about a foot higher than him. Glad we didnt have to take er down, she did it for us! We took my measuring wheel and rolled off from tip to but, right at 110'.
Average "big" tree we work on is about 75-80'. The trunks can be massive, we get into these silver maples that look like they had a direct IV of Miracle Grow! BIG AND FAT, the main crotch on those are always a foot wider than the flare, PITA! 4-5 times a year we will get real big ones, usually, like u said, cottonwoods! We have had some pretty massive pis elms and pin oaks too. Biggest tree ever for me, pin oak, 2 years ago. 8'dia 100' tall, MASSIVE CANOPY, over 4 houses and 8 garages, tons of wires. Had to rig every piece.
Think I may have run into some real tall evergreens, I think they were norway spruce, real skinny, REAL TALL, they were in the woods, we just dumped them and left them, never paid to much attention to the length, long time ago!
The Midwest has many micro climates, alot like San Diego. Its always interesting to see how different the same species will grow so differently,depending on where they are at, corn field vs river bank, guess it is all conditional, like anything else.
Nothing compares to those redwoods tho, went to Sequoia Kings National Park by Gilroy, Ca. Went and seen General Sherman, HOLY FREAKIN COW! If you have never been there or to the coastal redwood park, ya gotta rope. They are so big!, its really hard to wrap your mind around it. You will never be the same after hiking those woods! Its a good change.
All that said, I will be happy to use a Wraptor on a 40fter! With my neck and shoulders bad as they are, it will be a godsend!
You hunter dudes, you would love to sit in my back yard! 8-10 females and baby's and 2 bucks, one is pretty big. I think they where fighting because the little buck is limping. They live in my woods and tear up my trees and landscaping all the time. Would love to have someone shoot them with a bow, but my wife loves them. Me, I am no hunter, but I sure will eat me some jerky and summer sausage!

Primitive weapons are the premier hunting experience ...

Rifle is too easy, I bow hunt we have record animals here too but the best hunting is on millionaire leases. I still made the pope & young with Wilson's cousin bucko; here he is, public land bow kill! I missed his grand pappy which was pushing 200 inch typical a few years back! He had the same look just several more points and 16 inch g 2s. Here is my book deer 141 4/8 typical net P&Y! Deer were made for bows. I could never be proud of a rifle kill the way I am of my bow kill, the animal must be patterned to the t with a bow, big difference in taking the animal at 200 yards verses 5 :)

002-3.jpg

That's a real nice buck there Rope, and I couldn't agree more about bow hunting. But my bow was the first to go after the wreck, I couldn't even draw it back anymore. Where I live (Allegheny County) rifles are not permitted. Slug guns are, but hunting with the bow have always always been my best experiences. Once gun season starts the woods around here are full of armed and dangerous yahoo's shooting with little regard to where a miss goes.

The smart deer on the ridge behind my house stay close to the houses, and bed down in inaccessible places near the homes so they are unlikely to be flushed out by the shotgun toters. I set my tree stand less than 100 yards from my back door. Big tracks often appear right in my backyard, but they are made in the middle of the night. One snowy morning I was able to track "Wilson" from my backyard and I spent four hours following them through the worst brambles and jaggers with my Remington 1100. I never got close enough to see him, but I did flush him across a power line clearcut and the local Catholic Priest got a shot off on him, but it was a miss, Wilson bolted across and disappeared into the woods on the other side.

I finally lost his track when he went through an large area that the Turkeys had scratched all up. No deer is that smart are they?

That's a real nice buck there Rope, and I couldn't agree more about bow hunting. But my bow was the first to go after the wreck, I couldn't even draw it back anymore. Where I live (Allegheny County) rifles are not permitted. Slug guns are, but hunting with the bow have always always been my best experiences. Once gun season starts the woods around here are full of armed and dangerous yahoo's shooting with little regard to where a miss goes.

The smart deer on the ridge behind my house stay close to the houses, and bed down in inaccessible places near the homes so they are unlikely to be flushed out by the shotgun toters. I set my tree stand less than 100 yards from my back door. Big tracks often appear right in my backyard, but they are made in the middle of the night. One snowy morning I was able to track "Wilson" from my backyard and I spent four hours following them through the worst brambles and jaggers with my Remington 1100. I never got close enough to see him, but I did flush him across a power line clearcut and the local Catholic Priest got a shot off on him, but it was a miss, Wilson bolted across and disappeared into the woods on the other side.

I finally lost his track when he went through an large area that the Turkeys had scratched all up. No deer is that smart are they?

Almost all bucks that have pressure are I seen this buck four times before killing him at 5 yards. I moved up the ridge he down, then back and forth. I elected to give him a break for one week then I slipped in after a cool rain I blew a estrus bleat and followed it up with tending grunts and he came to me like he was on a string. The only way we kill a mature public buck with stick and string is; when or if he makes a mistake. I usually tag out by now but I was plagued with bad shots on two big bucks lucky I did not wound them. So far I took a seven point and a doe, maybe I will get lucky enough to get one more crack at the big boy as I have one more buck tag left:cheers:

Some bad shots from my backyard ...

6315652531_dfc0b8923c_b.jpg

6315652445_3a71006643_z.jpg

[video]http://www.flickr.com/photos/80924596@N00/6316205484/in/photostream/[/video]

Shot in bad light through my back window.

Amassing how brave the are before season begins lol, thats a fine deer great mass even tough it will lose some after velvet is rubbed. Looks to be a great wallhanger.

damnit im glad your done hunting those are my prime hunting grounds over by your house my inlaws have 14 acres. pretty much right across the road from you.

And those are the little ones ...

damnit im glad your done hunting those are my prime hunting grounds over by your house my inlaws have 14 acres. pretty much right across the road from you.

Ya Matt, The ridge between Kennedy and North Star roads is prime habitat, most of it is posted and private. I have permission from the major landowner at my end of the ridge. If you are going to hunt during shotgun season I'll be your guide and videographer, but if you are lucky enough to bag "Wilson" (named for Wilson School) I get half the rack! lol ...

Latest posts

Back