Don't hate the Wraptor....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe you could clear just one thing up for me Rope.....

Are you fascinated by different eco systems in other areas?:msp_smile::popcorn:

Yes and their natives too:) Yall talk funny:hmm3grin2orange: No really bro its cause I love to hunt different ecosystems. Forest gets boring and is harder to pattern movement compared to fewer trees and huge cornfield or soybeans. It is a dream land to a hunter like myself. I could pattern a monster fairly easy there imo.

I'd love to get a wraptor, but I gave up hunting ...

Sadly, I just traded my .300 Win Mag for a clutch in my dump truck. I don't think I could even fire it anymore since the injuries from my motorcycle wreck two years ago. Both shoulders were crushed so I don't even have the option of firing it left handed.

You'd love to hunt deer where I live rope, we have some monster bucks here in W, PA. Right behind my house is 168 acres or woodland that is the home of a lengendary linage of big bucks. The reining king of the hill so to speak is a big buck named "Wilson" I've seen him on a few occasions and he is Boone & Crocket territory. I almost hit him with my van one very early morning.

I have him patterned (as well as his Father, and probably his father's father) but the big old bucks up there get to be big old bucks by staying pretty nocturnal, although the rut may bring them into daylight movement from time to time. I'd say I've hunted "Wilson" for 10 ~ 15 years and never got a shot. One season's "Wilson" got nailed by a truck near where I almost hit one. The game wardens took the rack, but it was reputed to be "huge". I'm sure he's up there right now, getting ready to give the local hunters a chance at local fame for bagging him.

WTF.....that's like a normal post! :)

Sadly, I just traded my .300 Win Mag for a clutch in my dump truck. I don't think I could even fire it anymore since the injuries from my motorcycle wreck two years ago. Both shoulders were crushed so I don't even have the option of firing it left handed.

You'd love to hunt deer where I live rope, we have some monster bucks here in W, PA. Right behind my house is 168 acres or woodland that is the home of a lengendary linage of big bucks. The reining king of the hill so to speak is a big buck named "Wilson" I've seen him on a few occasions and he is Boone & Crocket territory. I almost hit him with my van one very early morning.

I have him patterned (as well as his Father, and probably his father's father) but the big old bucks up there get to be big old bucks by staying pretty nocturnal, although the rut may bring them into daylight movement from time to time. I'd say I've hunted "Wilson" for 10 ~ 15 years and never got a shot. One season's "Wilson" got nailed by a truck near where I almost hit one. The game wardens took the rack, but it was reputed to be "huge". I'm sure he's up there right now, getting ready to give the local hunters a chance at local fame for bagging him.

Wonders never cease!

yea, Rope I can see where the wraptor would come in handy for trees that tall lol -- doesn't make the slightest bit of sense to use one here in Iowa though. My point was though, that thing's not going to improve your tree-climbing skills at all - maybe your bill-paying skills lol if you're specializing in trees like in your pics tho. Still, footlockings not that hard, actually kinda effortless really, and even in our cottonwoods here, most of us are just fine doing that.

Vet - I think you have to be the grouchiest cockiest sourest old man I've ever even heard of lol. You're definitely full of yourself though lol. I have been laughing at your posts and dour rants -- you actually funny, whether you mean to be or not. Don't try denying that you're one of the old school hack trim spikers though, even if you have reformed to spikeless trims these days. and I dont care if ya like me or not -- you and your girlfriends can click negative on my rep all day and it wont hurt my feelings a bit lol. and it doesn't matter how many toys ya have Timbersports barbie; one of the shadiest crookedest oldest tree service hacks in our area has lots of gear and equipment too -- that doesnt make you a good arborist -- it just means you're a shrewd (and maybe even successful) business man. I am wondering though -- are you a certified arborist? not that it matters that much to you, just wondered if you took the time to get that credential. but the fastest, anywhere, anytime? that I'd love to see, especially at your age.

I somewhat agree with what some of you guys have said about the climbing competitions - theres a few guys around here that usually place pretty high locally - and they're still crashing stuff down on driveways and houses and doing stupid dangerous stuff. The fastest guy that we know in Des Moines, we've actually seen him jumping from one tree to another WITH NO ROPE. He landed upside-down hugging the trunk of the tree he jumped into. So yea, fast isnt necessarily better -- but in this town, everybody that isn't framing or laying bricks anymore (because of the housing crash) disrespects our industry by thinking they can just walk in and do what we do -- and they underbid us to boot. SO here, you have to be fast to make money. And we're still doing those big crane removals and chemical work, etc that those guys wont ever be able to do so that helps too.

I wasnt saying that being good in comps gaurantees you'll be a good arborist. Generally though, around here, the guys that suck horribly at the comps are the guys spiking trims and taking shortcuts, etc. There are exceptions of course.

Me? I went to college, did an apprenticeship with the U.S. Department of Labor, have my chemical license, etc., put in a few years as a climber trainee, then went to our local climbing events and met up with some guys like Scott Beecher, Noell Boyer, Christian Schultz -- self studied on the web and in the trees here. I've never been a groundman, and I always got put in the chiptrucks because I could climb well. Not saying I'm the best here or anywhere, but if you're doing tree work in Des Moines, you or someone you work with most likely knows me or has heard of me. I've helped a lot of tree services in this city, and I do alot of the most difficult stuff in trees here. as well as help the green climbers finetune their climbing system. I've srt'd, drt'd, footlocked, tried all the ascenders and mar bars etc, and its still faster and easier for me to ascend a tree on my Sterling htp (black tactical) and work the canopy on Blaze, Lava or Poison Ivy. I've tried Blue Streak, True Blue, and ALL the 11m ropes for that matter -- about the only tool I dont and probably wont have is the Wraptor. Wont do me any good in this town until I'm Vet's age hahahaha -- or way fatter I guess.

I've got several spots you can come hunt anytime Rope -- corn fed deer have nice racks lol. I'm tracking a 170 this season. And trapping the hell outta the coyotes around our place.

and if you really wanna good gauge of how good you are -- try taking down a mature hackberry or oak in the middle of a cemetery. Those old headstones will crumble like stale bread when they're hit by even a small log. and then its your ass - destroying someone's great great grandmothers memorial. I've never hit or broken one, but seen what happens. We get hired in those jobs all the time, but its definitely worthwhile.

we've also removed a mature american elm that was growing at a 45 degree angle directly next to a fence and the neighbor was being a doosh about "no one sets a foot on my property". I speedlined it 200 feet away with the butt ends landing right in front of the chipper. not the fastest way to do it, but it was cool as freakin hell.

yea, Rope I can see where the wraptor would come in handy for trees that tall lol -- doesn't make the slightest bit of sense to use one here in Iowa though. My point was though, that thing's not going to improve your tree-climbing skills at all - maybe your bill-paying skills lol if you're specializing in trees like in your pics tho. Still, footlockings not that hard, actually kinda effortless really, and even in our cottonwoods here, most of us are just fine doing that.
Well may not improve skills in tree work but the reduced fatigue helps keep wifey happy at night lol. I must ask you though if you have a bucket and a tree is easier done from the bucket, do you climb instead :)

It is just plain and simple, it reduces fatigue and nothing against those who do not use one but after the third tree here; I am much more rested than before getting my wraptor. Why do we have wheels? I think I can climb with the best and not feel ashamed and I body thrusted 30 years, still can and do, the wraptor does not do it all ya know.

Btw cemeteries are one thing this is another also before the wraptor :)

008.jpg

three phaze power and growing out of roof is another:)

007.jpg

also done craneless
002.jpg

Last edited:
Me? I went to college, did an apprenticeship with the U.S. Department of Labor, have my chemical license, etc., put in a few years as a climber trainee, then went to our local climbing events.

and if you really wanna good gauge of how good you are -- try taking down a mature hackberry or oak in the middle of a cemetery. Those old headstones will crumble like stale bread when they're hit by even a small log. and then its your ass - destroying someone's great great grandmothers memorial. I've never hit or broken one, but seen what happens. We get hired in those jobs all the time, but its definitely worthwhile.

we've also removed a mature american elm that was growing at a 45 degree angle directly next to a fence and the neighbor was being a doosh about "no one sets a foot on my property". I speedlined it 200 feet away with the butt ends landing right in front of the chipper. not the fastest way to do it, but it was cool as freakin hell.

WAIT JUST A MINUTE!!!

Wow....I mean WOW....you actually took down a hackberry or even an oak....IN THE MIDDLE OF A CEMETERY???????

Man, I was flabergasted but then you went out there and took down an elm..............

at a 45 degree angle.....

fukin right next a fence .....

and the NEIGHBOR WAS A DOOSH ABOUT IT??????!!!!!!!

(Absolutely NO one sets foot on his property :dizzy:) and.......

YOu did it cool as freakin hell?????with a speedline no less?!?!!!!

Well hell.....I give up.....you win.....you are easily one of the more impressive (in the top half) of the gay dich heads that has shown up on this forum lately.

I am impressed beyond words (yawn).

Rifle is too easy, I bow hunt we have record animals here too but the best hunting is on millionaire leases. I still made the pope & young with Wilson's cousin bucko; here he is, public land bow kill! I missed his grand pappy which was pushing 200 inch typical a few years back! He had the same look just several more points and 16 inch g 2s. Here is my book deer 141 4/8 typical net P&Y! Deer were made for bows. I could never be proud of a rifle kill the way I am of my bow kill, the animal must be patterned to the t with a bow, big difference in taking the animal at 200 yards verses 5 :)

002-3.jpg

nice job

Well may not improve skills in tree work but the reduced fatigue helps keep wifey happy at night lol. I must ask you though if you have a bucket and a tree is easier done from the bucket, do you climb instead :)

It is just plain and simple, it reduces fatigue and nothing against those who do not use one but after the third tree here; I am much more rested than before getting my wraptor. Why do we have wheels? I think I can climb with the best and not feel ashamed and I body thrusted 30 years, still can and do, the wraptor does not do it all ya know.

Btw cemeteries are one thing this is another also before the wraptor :)

008.jpg

three phaze power and growing out of roof is another:)

007.jpg

also done craneless
002.jpg

sometimes I do climb even if a tree can be accessed with the aerial lift - like if power lines would be in the way of the boom, but in the most recent case, we did a pine removal at the zoo, and the chip truck was in the shop. It was easier on my groundguys (and made the job go faster) if I used the forestry truck to chip into and just climbed the thing, so yea, sometimes I do.

and that tree looked like fun - how long did it take? were you able to use a crane on that one?

Timbersports barbie, I mean Treevet lol

WAIT JUST A MINUTE!!!

Wow....I mean WOW....you actually took down a hackberry or even an oak....IN THE MIDDLE OF A CEMETERY???????

Man, I was flabergasted but then you went out there and took down an elm..............

at a 45 degree angle.....

fukin right next a fence .....

and the NEIGHBOR WAS A DOOSH ABOUT IT??????!!!!!!!

(Absolutely NO one sets foot on his property :dizzy:) and.......

YOu did it cool as freakin hell?????with a speedline no less?!?!!!!

Well hell.....I give up.....you win.....you are easily one of the more impressive (in the top half) of the gay dich heads that has shown up on this forum lately.

I am impressed beyond words (yawn).

haven't seen or heard nothing from you that impressed me either bigshot - you're awwwwwwwful sensitive -- you and your wife share the mydol or did you eat it all this week? lol

sometimes I do climb even if a tree can be accessed with the aerial lift - like if power lines would be in the way of the boom, but in the most recent case, we did a pine removal at the zoo, and the chip truck was in the shop. It was easier on my groundguys (and made the job go faster) if I used the forestry truck to chip into and just climbed the thing, so yea, sometimes I do.

and that tree looked like fun - how long did it take? were you able to use a crane on that one?

Well lol it took a while as it was 106 actual 116 index. I took it easy and no the owner did not want crane on his driveway, so you buck up and be a man lol. Nothing like a weak old fart toting up a 395 xp:hmm3grin2orange:

018.jpg

Well lol it took a while as it was 106 actual 116 index. I took it easy and no the owner did not want crane on his driveway, so you buck up and be a man lol. Nothing like a weak old fart toting up a 395 xp:hmm3grin2orange:

018.jpg

thats some good stuff. makes for a long day on spikes, nothing like having to take 12 inch pieces or less off all the way down because of the size of the wood.

018.jpg

yea, we always manage to schedule the hardest jobs on the hottest days don't we? lol Sometime, if you haven't already, try a lightweight camelbak -- those things can really help, especially on the hot days, if not because of the ice cold drink right there all day, then maybe the cooling effect of having a liter of ice water strapped to your back might.

the hottest day here this year, I wound up taking down 2 dead trees right next to and growing over a nice 2 story house w/ walkout basement -- the guy wouldnt let us remove the tall aluminum chimney stack so I had to cut and rig around the damn thing. They took a pretty cool pic of me chunking it down, making a big cloud of sawdust with the 460. Not impressive like urs, but gd it was freakin hot that day.

View attachment 205744

yea, we always manage to schedule the hardest jobs on the hottest days don't we? lol Sometime, if you haven't already, try a lightweight camelbak -- those things can really help, especially on the hot days, if not because of the ice cold drink right there all day, then maybe the cooling effect of having a liter of ice water strapped to your back might.

the hottest day here this year, I wound up taking down 2 dead trees right next to and growing over a nice 2 story house w/ walkout basement -- the guy wouldnt let us remove the tall aluminum chimney stack so I had to cut and rig around the damn thing. They took a pretty cool pic of me chunking it down, making a big cloud of sawdust with the 460. Not impressive like urs, but gd it was freakin hot that day.

View attachment 205744
PS: nice job
Our hottest day this year was 115 actual and was absolutely brutal. I seen where yall and even vet had a unusually hot one this year. That is every year here and summer lasts longer here usually. The one thing I have grown to hate is heat I remember trimming even larger trees in Houston Texas in the early eighties in the middle of their worst heat wave, record year, may be broken now but when i hear the song north to Alaska my feet itch:)

Last edited:
Our hottest day this year was 115 actual and was absolutely brutal. I seen where yall and even vet had a unusually hot one this year. That is every year here and summer lasts longer here usually. The one thing I have grown to hate is heat I remember trimming even larger trees in Houston Texas in the early eighties in the middle of there worst heat wave, record year may be broken now but when i hear the song north to Alaska my feet itch:)

lol ya, heat I can usually deal with - humidity is what kills me. I'd rather limbwalk snow and ice covered bur oaks on the coldest day than do those removals on the hot and humid days. You can always put on more clothes but you can only take off so many hahahahaha

lol ya, heat I can usually deal with - humidity is what kills me. I'd rather limbwalk snow and ice covered bur oaks on the coldest day than do those removals on the hot and humid days. You can always put on more clothes but you can only take off so many hahahahaha

Lol did I tell ya we are humid you can cut the air with a knife in summer oh I am glad it will be a while before its back lol.

Lol did I tell ya we are humid you can cut the air with a knife in summer oh I am glad it will be a while before its back lol.

ya, when the air is so thick you have to chew it before it hits your lungs!!!! hahahahaha

"nevertheless" I'm sure I'll miss the heat when its -15 and wind blowing like crazy in a couple months tho! haha.

Right now is my absolute favorite time of the year - seems like we usually get one hell of an influx of calls this time of year -- not a bad problem to have though. hope they're treating you the same down there too :smile2:

Latest posts

Back