Don't Make Stump Cuts Standing Up

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dillweed

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Don't make your stump cut at the end of the day, in a rush, standing up, with a freshly sharpened Stihl 660. Well you may do it at the end of the day with a freshly sharpened 660, but not in a rush or standing up.

Saw kicked back and hit me in the shin, no chaps. Open tibia fracture. Very dangerous due to exposed bone to dirt.Chainsaw in Shin.jpg

That looks like it might of hurt a little?
Glad it wasn't worse.

What size bar? Standing up you mean leaning over cutting flush with the ground? That cut scares me. How long of a recovery?

Well I see your self grown chaps arent working. Maybe A little more hair and try again. Just kidding, I hope you heal quick.

Typical injury in this field. No, its not good to bend over and cut a stump like that, its actually more work than kneeling which keeps your hand on the brake. I have worn knee pads on the job for years though never chaps.

Sometimes I sit, have one hand on the throttle handle and use my foot to push the brake handle which will still activate the brake if need be.

oww!
Any chance you'll be in a mood to give a description of how it happened?

hmmm, Kevlar crossed with human hair growth.
DuPont or Monsanto, Wonder which one will get the patent first?

Hmmm. I was wondering, which hurts more?
a) sharp chain
b) a dull chain

thanks the post and the warning

so true the last cut of the day predictably can present the most hazards, dam finals on trunk stump, your tired the chain in most cases is tired and the wood fights with you jamming holding or is poorly located to need a back plunge or tricky saw cut set up with your feet always to close for comfort

can consul your self in that "hot chicks dig scars"

thanks the post and the warning

so true the last cut of the day predictably can present the most hazards, dam finals on trunk stump, your tired the chain in most cases is tired and the wood fights with you jamming holding or is poorly located to need a back plunge or tricky saw cut set up with your feet always to close for comfort

can consul your self in that "hot chicks dig scars"

So do hot men. I'm female, so I can say that! :p

And so true on the 'fatigue factor', derwoodii! My boss warns us about that all the time. Hackberry is notorious for fighting the saw. That stuff's as hard as a hoor's heart and will jam up a cutting tool bigger than squat. I hate hackberry...

Get well soon, OP! :bowdown:

As to what hurts more, sharp or dull-- well, if my close encounters with kitchen knives are any indicator... I'd say the dull blade hurts more. A razor-sharp edge will cut you and you don't even know it sometimes until you see the pool of blood. But neither one feels too great once the nerves and pain receptors get the news!

Latest posts

Back