Don't want a riot here but who ownes an MS280...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

16gauge

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
OK I know this saw is usually, but not always trashed here as a failed replacement for the 028, 026 024 super and so on. I bought one new two years ago and put it up so no one would see me using it in daylight.

Then last week I bought one used for a reaaallly good price. :D It is used but very lightly and it runs better than any 026, 028 or 024S I have ever used. It came with a 20 inch bar and chain and actually pulls full comp far better than I expected. Should I hide it with the new one or will I be reported for using the "bad bad what was Phil thinking of buying that model Stihl"?:bang:

OK I know this saw is usually, but not always trashed here as a failed replacement for the 028, 026 024 super and so on. I bought one new two years ago and put it up so no one would see me using it in daylight.

Then last week I bought one used for a reaaallly good price. :D It is used but very lightly and it runs better than any 026, 028 or 024S I have ever used. It came with a 20 inch bar and chain and actually pulls full comp far better than I expected. Should I hide it with the new one or will I be reported for using the "bad bad what was Phil thinking of buying that model Stihl"?:bang:

You could paint it red and tell people it was a Dolmar...:greenchainsaw:

Just kidding, just kidding..

Mark

You can hide one of them at my place if you wish.

I have one with in the QCS version and really like the power of it.

Proud 280 Owner!

I bought my 280 about a year ago and LOOOVE it. I'm a strictly STIHL man, not to say Husqvarna & Echo don't have some fine models because they do, I just prefer STIHL, and have ran almost every STIHL from a 009 to the 084, including the 028. The 028 is a fantastic saw no doubt. Some say it's the best saw STIHL has ever made. But, in regard to the 280, it's a fine saw with plenty of power and I have found ZERO drawbacks. It's plenty fast, has plenty of torque, plenty dependable, and plenty durable. I'm mighty proud of mine. It has yet to let me down. I've heard little nit picky complaints that sound like someone trying to find fault with something, like "spongy vibration" and wuss crap like that. A chain saw man is not gonna whine about user comfort issues, which this saw has no user comfort issues. You'll usually hear those type complaints from white collar weekend users or old school good ole boys with 50 year old saws (and yes the old ones ARE good saws no doubt) and aren't gonna accept anything new regardless because it ain't old school. It's a chain saw not a frickin' cadillac. GRAB IT, CRANK IT, AND CUT THE TREE DOWN! Anything that hinders that IS a quality issue. Bottom line this is another STIHL lean mean tree chomping machine! No worries, just flying wood chips! Hold your 280 with pride, run it loud and proud, after all it's a STIHL!

use it like it was rented....:clap: :chainsaw:

If the one that I bought was rented, it was rented by an old woman. This one was not pi$$ed on or used to cut bricks or anything like that. How do rented saws usually get used? Probly by newbies that use straight gas or at best bar oil in the mix:taped:

280's are becoming a good seller for us. I find it's an easy change from a 310 to it just for the reduced weight and better durability. Most people buying these don't cut enough to need the extra power of the 310 and if they do i'll just put them into a husky 359 or maybe even a stihl 361 if it's in their budget

I like the 280 very much. I've used a variety of saws over the years, mostly Stihls, and from an 018 to an 064. Have had the 280 for a couple of months and use it mostly for cutting firewood. I like the no-tool fill caps and chain tensioner. After having the 064 without it, I sure like the compression release valve on the 280. I have the model with the second chain brake and really like that feature. The saw does exactly what I wanted it for. Vibration is low, power is fine, and weight and balance with a 20" bar are also fine for me.

The only complaint that I have about the saw is that with old, thick, and weaker fingers , I have a hell of a time getting the spark plug boot off. For me, there just isn't enough room to get a good grip on it. Anyone else have that problem?

I bought my 280 about a year ago and LOOOVE it. I'm a strictly STIHL man, not to say Husqvarna & Echo don't have some fine models because they do, I just prefer STIHL, and have ran almost every STIHL from a 009 to the 084, including the 028. The 028 is a fantastic saw no doubt. Some say it's the best saw STIHL has ever made. But, in regard to the 280, it's a fine saw with plenty of power and I have found ZERO drawbacks. It's plenty fast, has plenty of torque, plenty dependable, and plenty durable. I'm mighty proud of mine. It has yet to let me down. I've heard little nit picky complaints that sound like someone trying to find fault with something, like "spongy vibration" and wuss crap like that. A chain saw man is not gonna whine about user comfort issues, which this saw has no user comfort issues. You'll usually hear those type complaints from white collar weekend users or old school good ole boys with 50 year old saws (and yes the old ones ARE good saws no doubt) and aren't gonna accept anything new regardless because it ain't old school. It's a chain saw not a frickin' cadillac. GRAB IT, CRANK IT, AND CUT THE TREE DOWN! Anything that hinders that IS a quality issue. Bottom line this is another STIHL lean mean tree chomping machine! No worries, just flying wood chips! Hold your 280 with pride, run it loud and proud, after all it's a STIHL!

Shoot, and I thought I was a lil Stihl biased .......:laugh: :laugh:

I don't want to get off topic , I do have a 028 like new and it's great. Want to add that if you put silicone inside the spark plug boot it makes it easier to get off.I use Sil-Glyde Spark Plug Protector Cat.# SPC-2 a dielectric grease.Put it on both of my 066s and MS660 as well. You should be able to get a similar product at any auto parts store. fwiw

280's are becoming a good seller for us. I find it's an easy change from a 310 to it just for the reduced weight and better durability. Most people buying these don't cut enough to need the extra power of the 310 and if they do i'll just put them into a husky 359 or maybe even a stihl 361 if it's in their budget

I think this is where the 270/280 are finding their niche more, as replacements for the 290/310. It is constructed much better and is much lighter than these saws, for only a little more money. Excellent value for a slightly nicer firewood saw, without going to a full on pro model for even more money.

270/280 quality

I think this is where the 270/280 are finding their niche more, as replacements for the 290/310. It is constructed much better and is much lighter than these saws, for only a little more money. Excellent value for a slightly nicer firewood saw, without going to a full on pro model for even more money.

Amen brother, When I was buying a saw last summer it was down to a 260, 270 and a 290. I would have went with the 260 but the price scared me away. I didn't know how much sawing I was going to do this year or where I would get the wood. When I was at the dealer staring at the 270 and 290, it became clear the 270 was much better. It had a more sleek and balanced design and was lighter. I hope others can look past the 7 more CC's or so of the 290 and go with the better quality of a 270/280.

I have a 280, it is a strong little saw. It has plenty of torque and plenty of power. I use it to fell and buck anything that is 18" and under. I would reccomend it to anyboby. Mine wears a 16".;) :rock:

I don't think there is much wrong with the MS280, but it isn't a true pro saw design - even though it has a magnesium case.

The only downside is the weight - too close to the 361, for the power.....:bang:

I don't think there is much wrong with the MS280, but it isn't a true pro saw design - even though it has a magnesium case.

The only downside is the weight - too close to the 361, for the power.....:bang:

we've been selling as many 280's as 260's these days and see fewer 280's in the shop. the only thing that concerns me is that electronically controlled carb they just introduced with it running off the coil.

I tend to run the smallest saw I can get away with for whatever I'm doing.....Many years of lugging a 066 around will do that to ya'...I'll grab my 280 in a heartbeat.I love mine.I just recently ported the cylinder,I did it myself,and it's a mean little saw.

Latest posts

Back