<door bell rings> "Do you sell wood?"

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wife'nHubby

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
<door bell rings> "Do you sell wood?" says the nicely dressed woman.

<me> "No, not really. Never have."

<lady> "My son just got back from serving in Africa. He's only home for a couple of days and wants a fire in the fireplace tonight and tomorrow. The stores don't have wood anymore. Could we please buy some wood?"

<me> "Well, I just filled up that wood box today. You can have what's in there."

<lady> "Great! My son's in the truck. He can carry it out."

I also gave them some well seasoned birch for kindling.

As they left, she gave me her phone number in case I have more to sell (doubt it to the general public - but for a serviceman yes it's available). As she gave me her number she shoved a $10 bill in my hand.

It was only one load from my wheeled wood carrier (filled almost up to the top handle).

Shari

log_carrier.jpg

Good for you Shari

That was a very kind thing you did for that serviceman. I now you guys do not have the wood supplies like some of have but to share what you have is just awesome. What goes around comes around. :clap::clap:

How have you been enjoying your wood insert now that you have had it awhile, hopefully you didn't have to recut your splits to make them fit the stove. What is the capacity on it by the way.

Beefie

Atta girl Shari!

By the way, you know you've hit the big leagues of wood scrounging when you have enough wood stacked in the yard to attract buyers!

Well look at that Shari, you must have enough wood stacked around your property to make some think your in business. I like it. Good for you on giving her some too. Im sure the fire was enjoyed.:clap:

How have you been enjoying your wood insert now that you have had it awhile, hopefully you didn't have to recut your splits to make them fit the stove. What is the capacity on it by the way.

Beefie

Well, we shut down the oil furnace 2/12/10 and it hasn't kicked in yet. We are both enjoying the higher interior temps. 68 with the furnace, average mid 70's with the wood stove. One fire in the morning, one in the evening with maybe just a split or two mid afternoon. I think the firebox is around 2.5 but Jotul doesn't list the size.

We haven't had to cut down any splits as the Oslo takes a 22" split. Most of our splits were cut 18" for the other stove so this year wood we process we be cut longer.

I have come to realize I no longer sit around at night in my winter jammies, winter slippers & snuggled up in a blanket while watching tv. :) Let me clarify that - winter jammies but no slippers or blanket (get your minds out of the gutter, guys! :) )

It is VERY cozy in here now - yes, we are lovin' wood heat!

Shari

Last edited:
Good on ya Shari!!!

LOL!!!
Your woodpile is getting to be "Professional" in appearance!:cheers:

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

That is a good read. When I got out of the Corps in 06, the local county service rep asked me if I had any wood for some disabled service members. I said "Dad and I both have some we can donate" All was fine and well. Then came a guy that was in 'nam. I took him 6 cords of wood between thanksgiving and the 10th of december. Well I get a call on the 18th saying he is in need of more wood. I thought no problem. I took him up a truck load on the 20th and came back to the farm to get another load. I didn't tell him or his wife I was comming with another load. While going down the road to thier house I see another truck pulling out with half of the wood I just dropped off. I could not drop the load at thier house. If they needed money they should of said so. Instead they were selling the wood I was giving them. Right now I have 3 Vets I give wood to. All three are great people to talk to. Each time they ask what do they owe me. I tell them not a thing. Each time I deliver to them we end up talking for about 2-3 hours about the tours we did.

Ray

Latest posts

Back