Door Knocking/Sales and One liners.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is what I thought when they told me I would run at about 6%...but he said it's extremely high for a small part of his workers because of cranes, overhead wires and accident rates in the industry...I kinda thought that was outrageous myself. But...I'm not an insurance guy and don't have much experience with actuarial tables in industries.
Our insurance guy is as dumb as a box of rocks. He came on the job site to see us climb he can under us cutting with no hard hat or nothin we coulda told the guy it was ok to free climb and he would have bought it he insured roofers and wanted to do arborist insurance. Works for me but I couldn't believe he didn't read up on Osha standards for our work before diving in

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lot of BS in this thread.
You don't mean 15k, 3 weeks in Jan with a part time crew in St. Louis? Me, I personally will knock on a door. If it's an obvious hazardous condition and after looking at it over and over in my travels to my shop or around town. What kind of bothers me is, I have watched a hazardous condition for months, even years and then I drive by and someone did it and I know it could have been me. One of my best accounts occurred when I drove up to new housing development and knocked on the superintendents trailer, 12 years later I'm still doing his tree work.

You don't mean 15k, 3 weeks in Jan with a part time crew in St. Louis?

Wow...should I feel insulted or something here? Likely not...but let's take a look at the facts....

Maybe I got my math wrong here....not sure how you see it, but $15K gross sales to me is about 6 - 7 full days of work for my little crew. Maybe a little more or less but it's definitely 7 days or less if I get lucky and score a good sale or two. And seriously....$15K in work is not that much work if you own all your equipment and you are charging appropriately.

That's not a lot of work for 3 weeks....and if I am not mistaken, but I could be wrong here, so please check this out and get back with us....less than 3 days of work in a week equates to part time....and with weather in the 30's and 40's here for a few weeks it was downright balmy for January.

We even worked today, on a Sunday, because a customer wanted to be home when we trimmed their trees. Trimmed 3 trees, then got to do 3 stumps for their neighbor and 2 more for another neighbor across the street. And one neighbor took all the limb wood from us for his wood stove so all we chipped was twiggy stuff. All in all a good day. $1,800 in gross sales - start at 9am - headed home by 2pm. That is a good day to me. And exactly why I ALWAYS have my stumper along for the ride. Just a side note....we have worked the past 5 days straight.

My crew was just ecstatic because they got a full day of pay for a half day of work (plus I bought lunch) and they didn't even have to rope around any power line, fence, shed, farm house, dog house, out house or a house of any kind and not one single lawn ornament to speak of. And even happier because it was all in the front yard and they weren't stomping around in doggie land mines all morning. All in all a good day to kick off the coming of the warm season.

Back