double braid rope or winch rope for a skidding cone

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lowtempguru

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi, I picked up a skidding cone, Now I have another question, What rope would be best? I know it needs to be low stretch, I was looking at a 100ft. double braided polyestor and one of the 100ft. high strength winch ropes. The winch rope is a lot more money then the double braid, I was hoping to hear from those with more rope experience then I if I would be ok with the double braid polyestor or should I step up to the more expensive winch rope. My tractor is a john deere 5210 with front end loader. The logs I am looking to skid are between 10" and 16" rounds anywhere from 10ft to 23ft, No major slopes to pull up, 85% of the logs i will be skidding to my trails are either black cherry or white ash. I hope I have given enough info for advice. thanks again for your help in advance..fred

Last edited:
I use chains with my 1957 John Deere 420U and the 3 point hitch. I have never used a cone in my life though there have been times that I wished I had one as to not leave the massive ruts that I have in the past. Even if I had a cone I think that I would still use chain for the pull just because it is easier to hook and unhook without the aggrivation of knots that just don't want to come loose again. Your 5210 should have no problem pulling rounds 40+ inches as I have pulled them with my 420, though it definatly knew it was there. 5210 I believe is a 70+ hp tractor... My 420 is a 28hp....

Back