Double head Alaskan mill

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Illarion Parmit

Reaction score
Hello all,

I am planning on stabbing logs. These would be Central American hardwood species and some, like guanacaste, are upwards of 72" wide. Not all are as wide but all are at least 36". I plan on using a 72" Alaskan mill and considering a double headed bar and my question is at what point or width or species should I consider having a double headed setup. I would be using MS880 on both ends if necessary.

I would be grateful for any advice.

Thanks in advance.
Larry

By the time you invest in two saws and the mill you might be close to the price of a woodmiser. They give a better finish and are no so hard to run. The kerf is narrow so some saving there and less sawdust.

By the time you invest in two saws and the mill you might be close to the price of a woodmiser. They give a better finish and are no so hard to run. The kerf is narrow so some saving there and less sawdust.

I completely agree. Two problems though.

1. The lumber is coming from coffee plantations which are only accessible by foot, sometimes a 2hr hike up a mountain. Only way down is manual labor carrying one slab at a time. Other option would be a helicopter but who wants to pay for that or trust one in the middle of a 3rd world jungle.

2. A woodmizer capable of handling 60-72" is not even in the ball park of two ms880s, an Alaskan mill and 72" bar.

I would think anything over about 50" a dual set-up would increase cut speed enough to justify, at least on hardwood. If soft species, I'm sure the 880 would chug through solo.

Latest posts

Back