Double tree ID

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
2nd is this guy: Eastern red cedar.
https://mdc.mo.gov/blogs/discover-nature-notes/missouris-spicy-evergreenAlthough a native plant in Missouri, it is now listed as invasive since the habit of occasionally burning fields has disappeared from many areas.

As to the first tree, I can't tell from just the bark. You need to at least send us some pictures of the branches that displays the branching pattern.

https://mdc.mo.gov/blogs/discover-nature-notes/missouris-spicy-evergreenAlthough a native plant in Missouri, it is now listed as invasive since the habit of occasionally burning fields has disappeared from many areas.

As to the first tree, I can't tell from just the bark. You need to at least send us some pictures of the branches that displays the branching pattern.

the first one looks like gum , probably, black gum

I was thinking maybe cedar, but it's so spikey - maybe the young ones are like that.

As for the first tree, that's all I can get for pics. No leaves, no branches. There's a fair bit number of logs at the city yard waste area. Not sure if I should mill it, firewood it, or leave it.

I can seldom tell a tree species from just a picture. The same tree in person, I'm pretty good at that.
Something about the lack of 3 dimensions; tree species just doesn't jump into my head with just a photo.

Now if it was a hackberry, river birch, or perhaps a persimmon? I'd still get the easy ones.

I gave that a second look. I'd guess that it might be American Elm, or perhaps a Slippery Elm. They have heavy bark ridges like that, the wood is kinda similar in color (as I recall), and the wood is very fibrous. Plus, you don't see that many of them, so it makes sense that you might not recognize them from just the bark.

[EDIT]

Elm Tree Bark

Elm bark is rough, and the edges are coarse and intersecting. The color should be a greyish brown color, possibly light grey.

I was thinking maybe cedar, but it's so spikey - maybe the young ones are like that.

As for the first tree, that's all I can get for pics. No leaves, no branches. There's a fair bit number of logs at the city yard waste area. Not sure if I should mill it, firewood it, or leave it.

As SS396driver indicated, they do make for a scrappy Christmas tree.
I grew up harvesting those for Christmas. One year, the tree my mother chose was too lopsided to keep balanced on our tree stand, so she rigged it with some twine and tied it to some nails in the floor. That may be my earliest memory regarding tree rigging.

They get a bit less spikey as they get older, but they're never as soft as the junipers you buy down at the nursery. Try hanging Christmas ornaments on them!

Agreed on the 2nd. Red Cedar has spikey "leaves", White Cedar doesn't have spikey "leaves". On the 1st one, splitting a round will tell a lot. Gum is pretty stringy, I've never seen a gum tree bigger than about 16"-18" DBH. Gum rarely grows straight and around here they usually have small branches sticking out of the trunk almost all the way to the ground. Even if you prune those branches off, they keep growing back. I initially thought Pin Oak, but I don't think Pin Oak has that fiberous layer under the bark. Willow smells, is heavy when green and is very light when seasoned. It looks like it grows relatively quickly, as the growth rings seem a good distance apart. It could be Elm too, not very many Elm trees around here.

My vote for the first one is Bradford pair. Coarse bark, little stickers on the trunk, and brown wood on the inside. twisted grain, splits like crap. The second one is a cedar or possibly am arborvitae but looks more cedar.

Nope. No way is that a pear tree.

I've cut up hundreds of them. I have one in my front yard, too. There has never been a Callery pear (Bradford variety) that ever had that much straight trunk. They branch far more than that. Besides, the bark isn't a match, either.

Arborvitae have overlapping scales. Soft & gentle on your hands, too.

2nd pic is cedar like the other folks said. The first made me think basswood from the start. Could be elm or cottonwood as well.
These posts would be much better served with a picture of the buds and branch structure if possible. Makes ID much more positive.

2nd pic is cedar like the other folks said. The first made me think basswood from the start. Could be elm or cottonwood as well.
These posts would be much better served with a picture of the buds and branch structure if possible. Makes ID much more positive.

Linden bark certainly seems possible. I didn't handle any of the wood, but it's lighter than elm, less fibrous, and splits easily. I think. It's been a long time since I split one.

Second tree eastern red cedar. First tree catalpa? Any old leaves on the ground? Or the "string bean" seed pods? There are couple twigs on the first picture that have buds and leaf scars that look similar to catalpa.

All the eastern red cedar I've ever cut here (and that's a lot - prickly little beasts...) - show bright red on the inside, and will about knock you out with the scent.

Back