Douglas fir

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Patrick62

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I cut up a rather large Doug a week ago, and ended up doing something I never done before. Cleaning my chains with a wire brush! For some odd reason the chain was glued to the bar. Could not get it to spin. Swapped chains and went to work. Today I soaked them in paint thinner with little effect. The drive teeth were "caked" with what behaved like shellac.

Any ideas how to not get gummed up like this :confused: :confused:

-Pat

I believe if you cut in the winter when the sap is down you can cut back on the the...well, the sap.

West coast guys would know better than me though.

Sounds like you cut through a pitch pocket or two, not much ta do except take the chain off and give it a good soak in a choice of several prefered solutions. My preference would probably be straight gas or diesel, its cheap compared to varsol, tranny fluid, or thinners and less lethal. Turpintine would be better than these as it is a sap based product, but I haven't tried it on baked on sap, it works well on pitch though but is toxic, smelly, etc.etc. For the eco-sensitive out there any veggie oil or cheap margerine in a shallow pan and apply a gentle heat and bristle brush will get the job done without the fumes, as will hot water and dish detergent. I use cheap veggie marg to clean many pitchy situations. That said, I sort of shudder with the wire brush thing (unless brass of course), I cannot imagine it doing anything nice to the existing (if they're there) sharp edges on da chain.
Just my unworthy 0.02$ worth for the evening.

:cheers: :cry: "There's be pitch on ma b**ch!" :cry:

Serge

Sounds like you cut through a pitch pocket or two, not much ta do except take the chain off and give it a good soak in a choice of several prefered solutions. My preference would probably be straight gas or diesel, its cheap compared to varsol, tranny fluid, or thinners and less lethal. Turpintine would be better than these as it is a sap based product, but I haven't tried it on baked on sap, it works well on pitch though but is toxic, smelly, etc.etc. For the eco-sensitive out there any veggie oil or cheap margerine in a shallow pan and apply a gentle heat and bristle brush will get the job done without the fumes, as will hot water and dish detergent. I use cheap veggie marg to clean many pitchy situations. That said, I sort of shudder with the wire brush thing (unless brass of course), I cannot imagine it doing anything nice to the existing (if they're there) sharp edges on da chain.
Just my unworthy 0.02$ worth for the evening.

:cheers: :cry: "There's be pitch on ma b**ch!" :cry:

Serge

yea I agree with sprig you cut through a pitch pocket , Ive found that diesel works better and in the end you just burn it off
does this chain have lost of life left in it ? or is it nearing the end ?.
If it nearing the end save your money and time and just chuck it and buy a new one

Pitch pocket... not to be confused with:

...pick pocket! ;)

Anyway, what I did was tossed them (2 chains) in my parts washer which is loaded with mineral spirits (paint thinner). Then with the stuff still stuck on there I stretched them out with a yank strap and used the wire brush. Then I stuck them on the saw and fired it up. All is better again. Chains have plenty of life left. Now here is how I really screwed it up:

The tree was 26" dbh. Once I got it on the ground I discovered that I am not strong enough to pick up the first 10 blocks cut at 16".... So I made curly fries and cut them in half! :D Upon discovering that the first chain was slowing down I swapped a second chain and finished it up. No biggie, right?? :laugh: :laugh:

Then a few days later I go out to another spot and go to fire up the 440. It won't move. At all. :bang: Then I look at the chain, and the other chain... and then I swap on the 3rd chain (I carry about 4) and it is fine.

Lesson learned, sort of. Today I was heaving those things up onto the splitter. Maybe I should have quartered them!

Lot of wood in one tree, and the truck was not happy about crawling up the hill with that "practical load" :D

-Pat

...pick pocket! ;)

Anyway, what I did was tossed them (2 chains) in my parts washer which is loaded with mineral spirits (paint thinner). Then with the stuff still stuck on there I stretched them out with a yank strap and used the wire brush. Then I stuck them on the saw and fired it up. All is better again. Chains have plenty of life left. Now here is how I really screwed it up:

The tree was 26" dbh. Once I got it on the ground I discovered that I am not strong enough to pick up the first 10 blocks cut at 16".... So I made curly fries and cut them in half! :D Upon discovering that the first chain was slowing down I swapped a second chain and finished it up. No biggie, right?? :laugh: :laugh:

Then a few days later I go out to another spot and go to fire up the 440. It won't move. At all. :bang: Then I look at the chain, and the other chain... and then I swap on the 3rd chain (I carry about 4) and it is fine.

Lesson learned, sort of. Today I was heaving those things up onto the splitter. Maybe I should have quartered them!

Lot of wood in one tree, and the truck was not happy about crawling up the hill with that "practical load" :D

-Pat

Kerosene is also a good solvent for sap and safer by far than gas. Don't forget to do the bar also.

Re the big blocks. That is what my steel wedges and sledge are for. Beats sectioning with a saw.

Harry K

Oiler?

Is that what that other cap is for??:laugh:

All humor aside, my 440 oils better than the 460. I rather doubt that it would have cut a full cord that day with no oil at all.
Or the day before that, or the day before that one.

I found another fairly large tree up there, and if I can find the time I would like to have at it! It would be easier with a longer bar.... 24 is all I have now.

sincerly,

all gummed up in colorado

Back