Hello from Se pa

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sliceoflife

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hello all.

Wife and I just finished renovating our home, had a big old Siberian elm taken down in the process, and I wanted to make lumber out of it... debated hiring a portable sawmill but got interested in chainsaw milling as I have a tendency to always want to do things myself.

Problem is I've only got a little 12amp 14" saw... so after debating between a $500 Chinese 105cc and a $150 Chinese 62cc, I started digging around ebay for vintage saws.

Picked up a McCulloch 250 that looks to be in fairly good shape... with a 16" bar and chain, for about $150 shipped. Probably overpaid, but saws seem quite pricey in general on Ebay. Seller says it runs with fuel mix in the carb, but tank was too gunked up to try it with fuel.

Gets here and the bottom half of the tank was pretty bad... did a hot soapy water wash and not much help. Trying a simple green soak now... gonna see if I can pick up a wire brush that'll reach in there too.

Carbs a hl63, which is a good thing if I'm reading forum posts correctly. And looks like all the parts are there. Other than some oily sawdust caked in the nooks and crannies it seems to be in good shape for a 60 year old saw.

If I get it running well, plan is to buy a 28"-36" bar and ripping chain. Ebay has 34" bars that claim to fit this saw without mods so leaning that way.

Back